Gap between broadband claims and delivery widens

Started by Simon, Jul 27, 2011, 12:52:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

The glaring gap between advertised broadband speeds and the services that consumers receive has widened, according to figures from telecoms regulator Ofcom.

Although UK broadband speeds increased by 10% - from 6.2Mbits/sec in late 2010 to 6.8Mbits/sec in May – the disparity between expectation and reality widened, leading to calls for changes to advertising practices.

The regulator said the average advertised speed in May 2011 was 15Mbits/sec, more than double the average actual speeds of 6.8Mbits/sec, sparking fears that consumers were being misled.

"The research is still telling us that some consumers are not receiving anywhere near the speeds that are being advertised by some ISPs," said Ofcom chief executive Ed Richards.

Read more: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/368899/gap-between-broadband-claims-and-delivery-widens
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

Simon

Quote from: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/368899/gap-between-broadband-claims-and-delivery-widensOn a positive note, the regulator said the arrival of BT's Infinity fibre product meant upload speeds were improving.

"The research found that BT's Infinity service ('up to' 10Mbits/sec upload speeds) continued to provide the highest average upload speeds, which at nearly 9Mbits/sec were more than twice as fast as any other service tested," the regulator said.
Simon.
--

Technical Ben

Yep. I saw that earlier.
How about they just say "our customers get between 2mb and 50mb"? ;)
Well, I guess most of them could not even match that!  :eek4:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Technical Ben

I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

pctech

They could with the small print *subject to deep pockets

;D

Simon

I think it's better to be able to actually accomplish what you're advertising, as that would give a company a better reputation than one that makes wild promises it could never hope to deliver.
Simon.
--