ADSL2+ IP Profiles

Started by Ardua, Jul 30, 2011, 09:35:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Ardua

I have been following an exchange on another site which suggests the following:

I am told by an even more reliable source that the new DLM also has a much less aggresive noise margin policy. I wasn't given any details though.

As long as there are no great bugs, it greatly decreases the arguments against BT Wholesale connections. I have always been vociferous in condemning the "old" DLM.

It seems to be along the lines of the Openreach one running on FTTC, which appears relatively unobtrusive compared to what we are used to.

Edit: link url http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/btsupplier/t/4021983-re-adsl2-ip-profiles.html

I do not know whether this applies in my case; however, since moving to ADSL2+ in late February, my IP has increased from 7150 (after changeover) to 14108. It did though take 3 months for my downstream SNR to fall from 15 to 12; a month later to 9 and a month after that to 6. (Five months in total!!) It is also claimed that the new DLM is instantaneous and I have noticed that when I get a change in connection speed the change in my IP now seems to be immediate.

Rik

If anything, I'd say the new DLM is more twitchy than the old, but it no longer affects me as my margin is locked.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

NP, Bill, I didn't know the source. :)
Rik
--------------------

Bill

I had to do a search for it, but it looked familiar :P

For the benefit of the OP I should have declared my interest as a moderator on that bbs, I wasn't just being picky.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Steve

Steve
------------

Ardua

Sorry - I hadn't picked up on that. Thanks for editing my post. :blush:

Bill

No worries :D

Getting back on topic... BT (both OR and BTw) seem to be trying to do something about profiles. I've also seen mention that a quicker-reacting version of the "copper-based" DLM is being trialled in some areas (possibly setting immediately to 88% of sync with no delay), and for Infinity customers (mostly, but not exclusively, new ones) their "acceptable range" of speeds now seems to be 16000Kbps upwards rather than the 12000Kbps it used to be (and mine still is >:( ).

Haven't seen any mention of what happens for those who get less than 15Mbps and hence aren't Infinity customers, or those who get FTTC via another ISP.

So maybe they're beginning to take some note of the criticism that the DLM has been attracting.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Ardua

Quote from: Bill on Jul 30, 2011, 11:47:37

BT (both OR and BTw) seem to be trying to do something about profiles. I've also seen mention that a quicker-reacting version of the "copper-based" DLM is being trialled in some areas (possibly setting immediately to 88% of sync with no delay), and for Infinity customers (mostly, but not exclusively, new ones) their "acceptable range" of speeds now seems to be 16000Kbps upwards rather than the 12000Kbps it used to be (and mine still is >:( ).

Interesting, when my modem/router resynchronised 4 days ago with a reduction in downstream SNR from 9 to 6 my connection rate went up to 15991 and IP 14108 (88.22%). Overall, my connection looks to be more stable. My upstream IP has been over 1000 for the past 4 months and as a result of the downstream IP rising, the upstream error rate has reduced from 1.5 per minute to 0.25.