Chrome grabs second place in UK browser rankings

Started by Simon, Aug 01, 2011, 12:48:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Chrome has pipped Firefox for the second-place spot in the UK browser rankings, according to StatCounter.

Over the last month, Google's browser grabbed 22.1%, edging out Firefox's 22% share, the analyst firm said.

"Chrome continues to make significant gains in the browser market going from under 4% two years ago to over 20% today," said CEO Aodhan Cullen. "Despite falling market share, Internet Explorer still leads in the browser war, but the next few months will be interesting to watch with Chrome and Firefox almost neck and neck."

Internet Explorer retains a 46% slice of the market, the firm said, down from 61% two years ago.

Read more: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/369034/chrome-grabs-second-place-in-uk-browser-rankings
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Glenn

They are only following the path trodden by MS 20 - 30 years ago.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Gary

Like Opera I just dont get on with Chrome. Still happy with FF for my needs.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

pctech

As it's pretty much bundled with everything is it any great surprise?

Steve

I think Chrome performs as quick as Safari 5.1 on the Mac, so it's a fine for basic browsing. FF I use occasionally but just feels sluggish compared to the other two. Opera well I not intelligent enough to use that.
Steve
------------

Bill

It's difficult to avoid downloading Chrome :shake:

I've heard it's good, but my reasons for not trying it are strictly non-technical- I don't trust Google!

I might give Iron a try, I've heard good reports about that too.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Inkblot

Quote from: Bill on Aug 01, 2011, 19:56:55

Yep, we will soon be referring to the 'good old days' when all Google wanted to do was to give you a toolbar!

Steve

Quote from: Bill on Aug 01, 2011, 19:56:55

I've heard it's good, but my reasons for not trying it are strictly non-technical- I don't trust Google!

I might give Iron a try, I've heard good reports about that too.

Iron does work on the Mac although I find it no quicker plus I can't get it to read rss
Steve
------------

Bill

Not bothered about RSS, I use Mail for that.

I'll probably wait until I move to Lion and see how it compares then.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Steve

I moved the wife's laptop over to Lion I don't think she noticed really although I did have to 'turn off' the natural scrolling.
Steve
------------

Bill

Speaking of RSS... I do love those usage estimates near the beginning of the month:

QuoteCurrent Usage

During the time period null to null your bandwidth use was:

0.0 GB Download - (Peak: 0.0 GB | Off-Peak: 0.0 GB)

0.0 GB Upload - (Peak: 0.0 GB | Off-Peak: 0.0 GB)

These figures cover 0 days. If your previous 7 days rate of usage continues for 31 days then the total for the month will be:

42.73 GB Download - (Peak: 41.35 GB | Off-Peak: 1.38 GB)

2.41 GB Upload - (Peak: 1.98 GB | Off-Peak: 0.43 GB)

:rofl:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Technical Ben

It covers last months figures too, though not shown in this months. But I get your point. :P

Oh, and toolbars are the spawn of Satan!
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Aug 01, 2011, 17:00:57
I think Chrome performs as quick as Safari 5.1 on the Mac, so it's a fine for basic browsing. FF I use occasionally but just feels sluggish compared to the other two. Opera well I not intelligent enough to use that.
Odd I find ff as fast as Safari 5.1 pretty much, but less buggy. Saying that I really don't care about speed to get to a web page I really dont notice tbh my machine is fast as a fast thing for now untill its outdated, oh thats probably now  ;D, like many others I don't trust Google that much, also I like to say no to flash, not have it thrust on me.

Steve

It's not easy to judge unless the difference is marked. I guess the one you use most will be fastest due to the amount of cached data.
Steve
------------

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Aug 02, 2011, 09:45:50
It's not easy to judge unless the difference is marked. I guess the one you use most will be fastest due to the amount of cached data.
Good point Steve. Im still not running Flash or JRE on the new Lion build, not really missing it all tbh.

Steve

At least it will prompt to install JRE if you come across anything that needs it. I've the odd piece of software that demands it.
Steve
------------

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Aug 02, 2011, 10:42:10
At least it will prompt to install JRE if you come across anything that needs it. I've the odd piece of software that demands it.
Since JRE 7 is now out what happens, Macs wont be included in that for a while so where do you go for the latest updates as I am aware that the JRE page says use your software updater but Apple are not developing it for macs anymore  :dunno: all a bit misty.