BT DSLAM planned engineering, some exchanges, started 7 May, to 22 May

Started by rireed3, May 13, 2007, 18:41:37

Previous topic - Next topic

sobranie

I can see one or two exchanges there which I thought didn't even have electricity !!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Rik

Thanks for that, wouldn't it be nice if they told us what they were going to do for once...
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

roland

Thanks for that, wouldn't it be nice if they told us what they were going to do for once...
Sorry, just why should they. Does your local electricity company need to explain exactly what they are doing every time they do work at your sub-station or does the local water company have to give everyone the details before they work on the sewers.

Lance

Thanks for the information.

The answer to your examples are no, but they do not directly effect the end users. Work on DSLAMS often cause disconnections and it can be frustrating for the user not knowing why the line won't connect or has disconnected.

If work is being done on sewers, the end user (ie the person letting the water out the bath) isn't affected in any way and wouldn't even know the work is being done. 
Lance
_____

roland

I would have thought the possibility of a power failure while work is taking place at the substation was certainly more important than a possibility that your broadband may hit a glitch.

Rik

I suppose the difference is that some work, on any system, is going to affect customers and the company concerned knows it. In that case, I feel it would be nice to be warned.

OTOH, when something goes wrong, during planned work or not, I accept that these things happen.

BT have indicated there will be service outages with 21CN, for example.
Rik
--------------------

jupiter

Since my exchange was done, judging from my before and after attenuation figures, I am now further from town than I used to be!

Rik

They probably put the exchange on a flatbed and moved it up the road, Jupiter! ;) On the last round of work, I gained 1db of attenuation - I suppose it may just be equipment or wiring changes at the exchange. How bad was your change?
Rik
--------------------

jupiter

As with you it was 1db - from 57 to 58. Not a trend I want to see go further!

Rik

Quote from: jupiter on May 23, 2007, 15:29:20
As with you it was 1db - from 57 to 58. Not a trend I want to see go further!

Indeed not. Perhaps they will reverse it in this round? (Pigs at 5,000 feet :)).
Rik
--------------------