ADSL Nation filters

Started by pctech, Aug 06, 2011, 19:38:42

Previous topic - Next topic

pctech

I was skeptical about these but they do seem to make a difference.

Attenuation is stable and sync rate keeps going up (3072 currently) with a throughput of 2.413.

Simon

Perhaps that's why people recommend them.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ardua

I fitted an ADSL Nation Faceplate 5 months ago and I had a 1.5Mbps - 2Mbps increase in connection speed. To rule out any issues with my internal wiring, I plugged the router directly into the faceplate. My router has built-in DECT which is also connected directly to the faceplate; that said, I added a further inline filter as incoming calls were causing the DSL to desynchronise. Yesterday, my downstream SNR finally fell to 3 and I appear to have a stable 18Mbps connection. I did give a minute's thought to relocating the router to somewhere more suitable: however, commonsense told me to leave well alone. The only problem is that I told my OH that my rather 'Heath Robinson' arrangement of boxes and wiring would only be a temporary set up!

Rik

Temporary can be a long time, look how long prefabs survived. ;)
Rik
--------------------

pctech

spoke too soon, connection had a resync about an hour and a half ago and sync down to 3040, hopefully won't go any lower.

pctech

Seems I am heading down again 3008 now.

Any other tips to get it stabilisied?

Rik

Find the source of the noise, Mitch. Walkies time with a battery-powered MW radio.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Just lost sync again and its come back at 3040, odd.

pctech

its now jumped up to 3104.

Does it step it down before it does an increase?

Rik

Not sure what you mean, Mitch.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Ok, let me explain.

Day before yesterday the sync rate sat at 3072 and throughput was 2.4.

There must have been resnc event during Friday night because I noticed sync had fallen to 3040 and IP profile had fallen to 1.9.

It now looks as though its resynced upwards again, just trying to work out why its jumping all over the place.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

;D

Indeed, just trying to figure out how the DLM appears to be working on my line.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Lance

Your sync will be different each time you resync as it is targeting the same margin (normally 6db). Therefore if ambient noise is higher your sync will be lower and visa versa.
Lance
_____

pctech

pctech

Zen have logged it as a broadband fault with BT so should be getting a broadband engineer out to look next week and they've requested my socket is replaced with an NTE5 for free.

Rik

BT, of course, may have other ideas.  :evil:
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Quote from: Rik on Aug 19, 2011, 18:15:16
BT, of course, may have other ideas.  :evil:

No charges have been agreed on the fault log which I can see via their fault tracker page so I guess Zen will call me if BT want to charge anything.

Most other companies (except IDNet of course) would probably want to charge but the standard charge wasn't mentioned so it must seem to them an open and shut case.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

Fault log has just been acknowledged by BT according to mail update I've just received.

pctech

Just to keep this thread updated.

Openreach broadband engineer visited yesterday and he was a 'very nice chap' (according to my Mum) and was here about an hour and half and ran a whole battery of tests apparently along with fitting the new socket.

He said the line was 'pure' so should get maximum throughput, anyway am now up to 3456 Kbps (after he fitted the socket) and 2413 Kbps in throughput after Zen reset the MSR training process.

Am very pleased.

Simon

Simon.
--

Rik

Good engineers are worth their weight in gold.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

This guy certainly seemed to be together with the two people I've been dealing with at Zen (though I'm sure IDNet would have done just the same)

Looks like I'm on fastpath too (for the moment)

pctech

More good news.

Am now up to 2.9 Meg.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

sync speed is on the rise again 3488 Kbps.

As I said it was up to 3584 when engineer left before dropping back but I think it will likely recover.