Recommend a router

Started by jezuk1, Jul 26, 2011, 13:52:45

Previous topic - Next topic

jezuk1

Hello all,

I'm thinking of getting a new router, can anybody recommend one? Here's what I'd like it to be able to do:

- ADSL/ADSL2+ (obviously)
- Gigabit ethernet ports
- Stable and reliable (can run for months and months without crashing / etc)
- Fully supporting IPv6 with a dual stack
- Good QoS support (some routers i've used implement this very poorly)
- Efficient in operation! (some routers i've used add up to 5ms latency)
- Highly configurable with a nice web UI
- Detailed information about the DSL connection, including CRC/error counts, noise levels, frequency profiles, and everything else you could possibly want to know
- Telnet interface would be nice
- All the other stuff (syslogging, wireless - must be able to fully disable this, good support/firmware updates, backup, etc etc)

Ta :)

Glenn

What is your budget limit?
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

I think the Billion 7800 N covers a lot of your wish list although slight reservations with regard stability with IPv6
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

jezuk1

QuoteWhat is your budget limit?
I'm prepared to pay a reasonable amount for a good product  :)

Niall

Quote from: Steve on Jul 26, 2011, 14:47:25
I think the Billion 7800 N covers a lot of your wish list although slight reservations with regard stability with IPv6

Indeed! Despite, as it turns out, there being nothing wrong with my old router, I bought this and it's really good. LOADS of things to play with :D The log reporting is a bit odd though as it contains a hell of a lot of information that I've never seen before, so there's definitely a learning curve if you've only ever used simple routers like Netgear ones. It's really easy to set up though.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

pctech

Post a few Niall and I'll debunk them for you.

Niall

Can't from work, but if you look in my incorrect time thread, there are some in there :)
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

pctech

Just about to go into a meeting but when I get home I will.

jezuk1

Thanks all, I'll look into the Billion 7800 N it seems to come with a lot of positive reviews.

sparky

Anyone know what model the default Netgear router that IDNET would ship out is?

Niall

Isn't it the dgn1000 now? That's the model that replaced the dg845n (pretty sure I just made the old model number up ;D)
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

sparky

Ah OK.

That one doesn't get very good reviews, maybe go for the DGN2200 if I have to get a new one.