New forum software - questions, comments and bug reports

Started by Rik, Aug 19, 2011, 03:20:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Griff, I'm on Firefox 5, now, with the British English Dictionary 1.19.1 installed, and it seems to be picking up spelling errors.  What are you finding isn't working?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

.Griff.

It does pick up the errors Simon but if you right click on them it doesn't come up with the usual corrections and/or allow you to select the correct spelling.

Idnetters SMF2 forum -

My SMF2 forum -

Notice how I spell the word router incorrectly on both forum and it's identified by the red line underneath but on Idnetters when you right click the dictionary menu with suggestions doesn't appear.

Lance

I'm getting the standard menu rather than the spell check menu too. I've just updated to FF6 and installed the british english dictionary.
Lance
_____

Simon

Oh, I see.  Yes, I've just checked mine again, and it doesn't offer any suggestions, but it does if you switch off WYSIWYG with the toggle  >>> 

That said, it works fine with or without WYSIWYG on SeaMonkey.  :dunno:
Simon.
--

Simon

You can set WYSIWYG to off by default by choosing 'Non-WYSIWYG (with buttons and smilies)' from Profile > Look and Layout.

Sorry about this - the mod does seem quite buggy, but SMF have now adopted it themselves, so hopefully it will be updated soon.
Simon.
--

.Griff.

Weird. At least it's easy enough to toggle the WYSIWYG view and get it working again. I can live with that  :)

Lance

Odd - If I format the text bold then it works. Looking at the SMF forum, we are not alone in having this random issue.

I'll carry on looking to see if there is a fix other than to not use the wysiwyg editor.
Lance
_____

Simon

Thanks Lance.  I've posted on the SMF forums, so will keep an eye out for any responses.
Simon.
--

Simon

Quote from: .Griff. on Aug 19, 2011, 16:13:34
Weird. At least it's easy enough to toggle the WYSIWYG view and get it working again. I can live with that  :)

Yes, it's a pain, though, and it's annoying that it doesn't work properly.  Unfortunately, I think the developer has lost interest, now he's handed it over to SMF, and they could take months, if not years, to update it.  :(
Simon.
--

Rik

So you'll all just have to learn to spell. ;D Unless you need WYSIWYG, my own recommendation would be to turn it off in your profiles until the bugs are fixed.
Rik
--------------------

john

This seems different, or at least I don't remember it happening before, but if I click an a new (to me) thread and there's more than a screenful of posts it doesn't display the first ones but goes to ones at the bottom of the page. Similarly if after reading the last post on a page and click to go to the next page it again shows the last posts on the page rather than the ones at the top. It's not a big issue, just a little annoying having to scroll up to be able to view the posts in order. Maybe there's some setting to change this but I've not been able to find it.

Rik

I haven't spotted that, John, we'll keep an eye out.Could you check that in your profile, Look & Layout, you haven't got the 'show most recent posts at top' box checked?
Rik
--------------------

Simon

I haven't noticed it either.  Where are you clicking to get to the new posts, John?
Simon.
--

john

Rik

Just had a look at your profile, John, it's definitely not got that box checked. Try clearing your cache and the forum 904 cookie, then logging out and back in again. See if that resolves things.
Rik
--------------------

john

Quote from: Simon on Aug 19, 2011, 16:45:07
I haven't noticed it either.  Where are you clicking to get to the new posts, John?

I click on 'Show unread posts since last visit' and click either on the thread title which takes me to the first page or select from a page number, whichever page I choose it automatically goes to the bottom of the page. This may be considered useful if you always want to view the most recent posts but if it's a page you haven't seen before then it's usually necessary to see the posts in order.

If there is more than one page then after reading the last post and clicking the next page number it doesn't show me the next post in sequence but goes straight to the bottom of the next page selected and I need to scroll up to see the posts in the correct order.

As I said it's not really a big issue and maybe it's just my settings if nobody else has reported this.

Rik

Try not clicking on 'show unread', but manually select a thread, John. Does it work then?
Rik
--------------------

john

Quote from: Rik on Aug 19, 2011, 17:00:49
Try not clicking on 'show unread', but manually select a thread, John. Does it work then?

Thanks Rik, that seems to have fixed it   :thumb:

It also seems to be working as before when finding posts by using the 'show unread posts' option too.

(I also tried logging out and clearing the cache first but this didn't make any difference)

Rik

Cookie confusion, John, they are simple beasts. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Quote from: john on Aug 19, 2011, 16:57:32

I click on 'Show unread posts since last visit' and click either on the thread title which takes me to the first page or select from a page number, whichever page I choose it automatically goes to the bottom of the page. This may be considered useful if you always want to view the most recent posts but if it's a page you haven't seen before then it's usually necessary to see the posts in order.

If there is more than one page then after reading the last post and clicking the next page number it doesn't show me the next post in sequence but goes straight to the bottom of the next page selected and I need to scroll up to see the posts in the correct order.

As I said it's not really a big issue and maybe it's just my settings if nobody else has reported this.

If you're on the Unread Posts page, clicking the button will take you to the first unread post since your last visit.
Simon.
--

john

Thanks Simon, I personally prefer it when useful options etc are highlighted in a colour such as orange/red. It makes it stand out, easier to find and makes the page look a bit more interesting.

Simon

Yes, but that should solve your question too, John.  :)
Simon.
--

john

Sorry Simon, yes it does, the rest of my post was just meant to be a favourable comment  :thumb:

Simon

Simon.
--

Gary

The FF dictionary only worked for me when I turned off WYSIWYG (so did copy and paste) as to colours no matter what its meant to be its yucky but I'll get used to that. I am sure it will be fine in a few days  but the new look seems does seem less clear to me when I read it, that's maybe just my eyesight or the way I perceive things not much I can do about that  :) :thumb:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't