New forum software - questions, comments and bug reports

Started by Rik, Aug 19, 2011, 03:20:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

As the subject says, this thread is for the discussion of the new SMF2 forum. Please let us know if you encounter any problems, have any questions or would like to make a comment.

Note that there's a sticky here:

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,26600.0.html

covering the new WYSIWYG quick reply box.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

zappaDPJ

A quick update: The upgrade is now more or less complete but it did prove to be somewhat problematical. There are still a few outstanding issues to be addressed later today but these should not have any major effect on how the forum functions.

Welcome back :)

zap
--------------------

Gary

First impression...it looks really cluttered when you view say 'Broadband news and discussion' it looks to me anyway to be messy cluttered and the colours don't help with its a sea of text lacking definition, but like all things it takes time to get used to I guess. The Orange and blue really clash as colours as well. Also instead of stars now you have huge boxes, something else that on first look seems ugly. Also it seems harder to now scan the posts because of the layout  :(  I dont seem to be able to copy and paste from another post right now either...I'm sure I will get used to it in the end but I did prefer the original layout, and the fact some browsers cannot use this new (cant copy and paste the name of it) is a bit of a pain.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

Cluttered in what way, Gary? The cut/paste WYSIWYG can be turned off in your profile. You shouldn't be seeing much orange, what were you thinking of in particular?

As to the rest, we have no option but to upgrade, if we stayed with SMF1 we'd have security problems.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

that was odd tried to reply did a spell check and all of what I had written vanished!  :bawl:

Gary

I appreciate the hard work and I know you have to stay on top of things it just seems with the icons on the left and the overal colour sceme for me at this moment I find it hard to concentrate on, I need to turn this what ever its called off as I cant even use FF spell check as I type hang on.

Rik

Quote from: Gary on Aug 19, 2011, 09:33:06
that was odd tried to reply did a spell check and all of what I had written vanished!  :bawl:

Same for me.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: Gary on Aug 19, 2011, 09:35:12
I appreciate the hard work and I know you have to stay on top of things it just seems with the icons on the left and the overal colour sceme for me at this moment I find it hard to concentrate on, I need to turn this what ever its called off as I cant even use FF spell check as I type hang on.

Can you post a screen shot of the colour scheme you're seeing?
Rik
--------------------

zappaDPJ

Just a quick note before I disappear. I will be looking at any issues reported here later on today. I can't promise to fix everything especially if it's subjective but I will at least give an answer to anything raised.
zap
--------------------

Gary

with that (whatever its called off) I can use spell check again Phew  :) as I was saying its just adjustment but before there was better contrast now the colours for me at least make it harder to read the boards. its like looking at the small ads of a newspaper if that makes sense? Well done for doing such a massive upgrade though. It just has issues and Yellow Orange and blue really don't go well when they are so bold, but that's just me. and the redish pink warning about replies is a bit loud its just new, in a few days it will blend in I hope, not sure I want pop ups about karma either, to me that's an extra and not something thats a feature that needs to be enhanced. Its a nice side line appreciation thing but not major in your face feature.

The 'new' in Orange is a bit yucky as Orange and blue if used in large amounts can cause a strobe effect but as I said anything new takes time to get used to, Rik. The main thing is we are secure and that's good :thumb:

Rik

So can you give me a screen shot, Gary, I want to check you're on the right theme.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Aug 19, 2011, 09:46:18
So can you give me a screen shot, Gary, I want to check you're on the right theme.
Will in a few, Rik. Need to take pills etc have carer here.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

Good look, looks like the crawlers have arrived too as Google and the Chinese search engine Baidu are listed as being around.

Lance

They've always been around, Mitch, but the new software actually names them.
Lance
_____

pctech

I suspected so but was just flagging up in case it was something the admins had thought they'd turned off.

Lance

Lance
_____

Simon

Quote from: Gary on Aug 19, 2011, 09:42:05
with that (whatever its called off) I can use spell check again Phew  :) as I was saying its just adjustment but before there was better contrast now the colours for me at least make it harder to read the boards. its like looking at the small ads of a newspaper if that makes sense? Well done for doing such a massive upgrade though. It just has issues and Yellow Orange and blue really don't go well when they are so bold, but that's just me. and the redish pink warning about replies is a bit loud its just new, in a few days it will blend in I hope, not sure I want pop ups about karma either, to me that's an extra and not something thats a feature that needs to be enhanced. Its a nice side line appreciation thing but not major in your face feature.

The 'new' in Orange is a bit yucky as Orange and blue if used in large amounts can cause a strobe effect but as I said anything new takes time to get used to, Rik. The main thing is we are secure and that's good :thumb:

I know the orange 'new' stands out a bit, Gary, but I guess it's supposed to.  ;)

The Karma popup is a new feature, because some time ago, people wanted to know who had given them a Karma, and what it was for.  Now, if you click OK after seeing the popup, it will take you to your Karma log, so you can see who's given you Karma.  This can be turned off in your Profile, if you don't like it, and there may be other new features that are switched 'on' by default (otherwise, you may not have known they were there), but can be disabled in user profiles.

I'm not sure what you mean about it looking 'cluttered'.  The layout is very similar to the old board - in fact, we have tried to make it as familiar looking as possible, hence the same overall theme, but with a facelift.  We can tweak bits here and there, but, with no disrespect, we can't tailor it to every individual's tastes.  ;)

Like everything, it will take a little bit of getting used to.  We have been testing the new software for a few weeks now, and we believe it to be an improvement on the old board, although, there are inevitably some differences in behaviour.  As Rik said, the upgrade was essential, for security purposes.  :)
Simon.
--

.Griff.

Quote from: Simon on Aug 19, 2011, 12:43:03
The Karma popup is a new feature, because some time ago, people wanted to know who had given them a Karma, and what it was for.  Now, if you click OK after seeing the popup, it will take you to your Karma log, so you can see who's given you Karma.  This can be turned off in your Profile, if you don't like it, and there may be other new features that are switched 'on' by default (otherwise, you may not have known they were there), but can be disabled in user profiles.

Is this a feature currently only available to admin as I can't find any such popup and/or any details about who's left Karma anywhere at all?

One bug I've noticed is that the Firefox Dictionary add-on doesn't work on this forum for some reason.

Lance

Within your profile you have the notification options, where it gives the ability to have the pop-up, a pm, or no notification.

I've just checked your profile and you should get a pop-up.
Lance
_____

Ray

I think the popup only appears when your Karma changes.
Ray
--------------------

Lance

Lance
_____

.Griff.

Cheers Lance.

Indeed I did get a pop-up but Firefox blocked it and instead of allowing it I cancelled it by mistake.

At least I know what Simon was referring to now.

Rik any idea why Firefox Dictionary isn't working?

Lance

Is the dictionary an add-on? I can't see where to enable it on my FF5.
Lance
_____

Simon

Quote from: .Griff. on Aug 19, 2011, 15:02:20
Is this a feature currently only available to admin as I can't find any such popup and/or any details about who's left Karma anywhere at all?

I should have read to the end of the thread - you've just got another one!  ;D

QuoteOne bug I've noticed is that the Firefox Dictionary add-on doesn't work on this forum for some reason.

That's odd - the SeaMonkey one does, and I thought they were the same.  I'll check in Firefox.
Simon.
--