New forum software - questions, comments and bug reports

Started by Rik, Aug 19, 2011, 03:20:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Wow this whole section was not there for me when I first loaded this...weird or its me having a very bad day which is possible
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

You might think that, Gary, but we couldn't possibly comment. ;D
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

Simon.
--

Gary

Still really dislike the colours *sigh* the orange appears to be hovering off the page, its my eyesight I imagine, I get ophthalmic migraines and orange and blue always jars me, I cant look at a dress that has orange and blue on it in a certain hue Justina has as I get the same effect  :(

Gary

Quote from: Simon on Aug 19, 2011, 18:06:03
Sorry, not with you, Gary.
When I posted I was replying to griffs bit about FF dictionary not working when I had finished all these extra posts were here that explained what I just said. I think its me sorry just not up with things today so I may have seen the new posts thing or not I cant tell.  :(

Rik

Quote from: Gary on Aug 19, 2011, 18:08:21
Still really dislike the colours *sigh* the orange appears to be hovering off the page, its my eyesight I imagine, I get ophthalmic migraines and orange and blue always jars me, I cant look at a dress that has orange and blue on it in a certain hue Justina has as I get the same effect  :(

Sorry, Gary, but we're not in a position to be able to offer fine-tuning on an individual basis. Have you tried adjusting the monitor?
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Aug 19, 2011, 18:12:02
Sorry, Gary, but we're not in a position to be able to offer fine-tuning on an individual basis. Have you tried adjusting the monitor?
Its just me, maybe the forum is brighter as the iMac is LED backlit, but I have had this issue for years, I had an album cover that did the same  :dunno: I'm sure ill mellow into it. No worries it does look good its just the orange and blue bit, maybe ill wear shades. :)

pctech

Sorry to ask and I reckon the answer will be no because I didn't see it when I tinkered with SMF a bit but is it possible to do something about the two tone colouring on the threads as the darker blue ones are hard to read when your eyes are tired after staring at screens with grey and blue backgrounds all day like I have.

The old was easier on the eye.

;D

Lona

I don't see much difference.  A forum is a forum as far as I'm concerned. As long as I can post and read posts I don't care about colours or dictionaries I never even knew there was a spell check on the old forum.  If I was unsure I just googled the word.

Good work lads and it's security that matters at the end of the day not all the fancy trimmings.

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Simon

Quote from: Lona on Aug 19, 2011, 23:47:49
As long as I can post and read posts I don't care about colours or dictionerys.

That's a bit of luck!   :laugh:

QuoteGood work lads and it's security that matters at the end of the day not all the fancy trimmings.

:thumb:
Simon.
--

Lona

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Gary

Quote from: Lona on Aug 19, 2011, 23:47:49
I don't see much difference.  A forum is a forum as far as I'm concerned. As long as I can post and read posts I don't care about colours or dictionaries I never even knew there was a spell check on the old forum.  If I was unsure I just googled the word.

Good work lads and it's security that matters at the end of the day not all the fancy trimmings.
You say that now  ;)

JohnH

Who are Yahoo!, Google, Baidu (4) that always appear to be browsing the boards ever since the new one was launched?  :dunno:

zappaDPJ

They are web crawlers (spiders) indexing the forum for search engines such as Google. They were always there doing the same thing but the forum upgrade allows them to be named and visible.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_crawler
zap
--------------------

JohnH

Yes, I'm familiar with spiders, but do they really need to be visible? I can't see what useful purpose it serves.  ::)

Simon

Well, I guess if there were none, it would tell us that we aren't being seen by search engines.  At least this confirms that we are. 
Simon.
--

.Griff.

Simon if you go to - Administration Center > Search Engines > Settings you can select "Show Spider Names - Admin Only" which still retains the function but doesn't show the spiders for general forum users.

(Only posting this in case you didn't know that option existed)

Simon

Simon.
--

JohnH

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Glenn

You can just view Members only, by using the filter on the right of the 'Online' page
Glenn
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Glenn

I've just logged out and back in, and the selected view hasn't changed.
Glenn
--------------------

JohnH

Quote from: Glenn on Aug 21, 2011, 19:46:10
You can just view Members only, by using the filter on the right of the 'Online' page

I was referring to the 'Users online' section at the bottom of the home page, which is different from the 'Online' page.
The former section seems to be okay now, so maybe Simon followed what Griff suggested.

Simon

Simon.
--