New forum software - questions, comments and bug reports

Started by Rik, Aug 19, 2011, 03:20:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacitus

Anyone else use 1-PassWord, Keepass or similar?

I use the former and with the new system it will only access the login at top right and refuses to fill-in the login page no matter what I do.  The result is that I cannot stay logged in, but have to re-login virtually every time I return to the forum.  I've tried deleting/re-enabling the 1-PW login in the hope that it will pick up the new one, but sadly that doesn't solve it. 

What I think happens - my knowledge of HTML is not that good - is that 1-PW looks at the web page for the code appropriate to the login field and it can only find that for the login at top right.  The only way to rectify it is probably to alter the code for the main login page.

It's irritating, at least for me,  but probably not a major problem.

Steve

Sorry Tac never used it,however I've just downloaded 1-Password created a login for Idnetters. Installed the 1P safari browser extension. Logged out of Idnetters. Clicked on the browser task bar tab for IP and then clicked login and it worked. It is using the top right login, why probably me being mutton do you need to use the main login page?

Trouble with this software is I'll forget all my passwords in time,it does make life somewhat easier.

Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Ray

I get the same problem using Roboform, Tac, but I've found that if I fill in the top login and tick the box to stay logged in on the lower login box, I do in fact stay logged in.
Ray
--------------------

Simon

If you allow the cookie to be saved, and not deleted at the end of each browser session, and you login from the Login button, ticking the box to always stay logged in, you shouldn't have to log in each time. 
Simon.
--

Tacitus

Quote from: Steve on Sep 08, 2011, 09:01:32
......why probably me being mutton do you need to use the main login page?

Because using the top right login won't let me stay logged in....

Quote from: Steve on Sep 08, 2011, 09:01:32
Trouble with this software is I'll forget all my passwords in time,it does make life somewhat easier.

It is very useful and allows you to use long and complex passwords.  For fora, it probably doesn't matter, but for Bank or store accounts maybe it does  :)

Quote from: Rik on Sep 08, 2011, 09:22:09
Can't you just use the cookie, Tac?

The cookie is enabled on this machine but it still won't stay logged in.  Perhaps it's a problem with just this machine.

Quote from: Simon on Sep 08, 2011, 09:31:26
If you allow the cookie to be saved, and not deleted at the end of each browser session, and you login from the Login button, ticking the box to always stay logged in, you shouldn't have to log in each time. 

OK thanks Steve I'll give that a try.

Note:  Fora. Forums?  Despite the handle, I've long since forgotten my schoolboy Latin

Rik

Does the browser clear cookies on shutdown, Tac?
Rik
--------------------

Steve

I think I've manage to replicate the same login issue Tac and can't solve it either.
Steve
------------

Rik

Is any external app cleaning out temp folders etc?
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Sep 08, 2011, 16:37:34
Does the browser clear cookies on shutdown, Tac?

Yes, but it's set to not delete 'Netters.  Don't think anything is clearing temporary caches etc - at least not until logoff/shutdown

Rik

Right, send me your machine and I will attempt to get to the bottom of it. ;D
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Steve on Sep 08, 2011, 16:58:34
I think I've manage to replicate the same login issue Tac and can't solve it either.

Might be worth having a word with the Devs at Agile.  Actually it would be interesting to see if the same problem exists with the Windows version of 1-PW.

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Sep 08, 2011, 17:05:29
Right, send me your machine and I will attempt to get to the bottom of it. ;D

It's a Mac......

Rik

Rik
--------------------