Improving my aunts sync connection

Started by mrapoc, Sep 03, 2011, 01:09:12

Previous topic - Next topic

mrapoc

Hello :D

After working on my aunts computer I realised their connection was terribly slow, often dropping out at the same time of night too. Checked the router stats and the noise margin is at 5.2 and the attenuation at 56db! I think thats pretty cr*p.

So I realised they have a long telephone extention going from the phone line, around the room and to the router.

I am right in thinking that it would help shedloads by having a short adsl wire from an adslnation faceplate. To the router and using a 10 metre ethernet around the room to the pc.

Whatchu think?

Steve

It would help cut potential noise being induced via a long adsl cable.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

A 'long line' router might help too, Sam, eg the 2700 or the Billion 7800N.
Rik
--------------------

jezuk1

I suspect your auntie lives quite a long way from the local telephone exchange. On a normal line, 56db would suggest she has a telephone line approximately 4km in length. In general this would average out to something in the region of 3km as the crow flies from the centre of the nearest town to her house (on the assumption that the line wiggles around a little down the roads).

If that's correct then shortening your internal wiring is going to have a negligable effect on performance (unless you happen to have a 3km coil of wire in your home ;)). Your margin is quite low which suggests the line isn't suffering from much noise and that's a good thing.

Lance

Although the wiring inside the house is much shorter than the run from the exchange, it can still have a massive effect.

You could just try a short cable to the router first if you are able to hook up a laptop or wireless device (phone?) to check to see if the stats improve. If they do, make it permanent with a long cat5e cable.
Lance
_____

mrapoc

Good ideas guys :)

havent been able to reply as idnet/talktalk seem to have cut off my internet earlier than my switchover date hence no internet connectivity. I did call support twice about it and they said they would call me back but it seems i am understandably at the bottom of the pile.

I'll try the temporary test, see if it helps and also try my 2700. Not sure what to do with the homehub afterwards though. Maybe keep it as a spare - can they be unlocked?