Good N Router/Access Point with Long Range

Started by arobertson676, Aug 31, 2011, 18:38:31

Previous topic - Next topic

arobertson676

I am looking for a good WiFi access point/router which will give me a good range in my house. My Netgear DGN2000's WiFi is a bit lacking in that respect. I want to keep my WPA/WPA2 encryption so I need one that supports that.

Steve

The only one I recommend that out performs an Airport Extreme and a Netgear DG834N in terms of range is the Billion 7800N but I think you've already discounted that on the adsl side.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

arobertson676

I can just setup an ADSL modem in bridge mode so that's not a problem.

arobertson676

How's the DG834N in terms or range? I was actually looking at it as it supports the DGTeam firmware.

Steve

I can only compare with the three I mentioned earlier and it was very similar in range to the Airport extreme, with regard adsl bridge mode my only success was with a Draytek 120 ( worked well on my line) it's PPPOA/PPPOE bridge out of the box.
Steve
------------

arobertson676

Sorry, I meant I can disable DHCP on the router and use it as a switch with WiFi.

Steve

That's what I've now done with the AEBS to give me an additional 5GHz network. ;D
Steve
------------

Steve

Why because I wanted to try IPv6 and keep my existing WiFi set up, the 5GHz works well over a relatively short range.
Steve
------------

arobertson676

I have just ordered a TP-Link W8960N. It will be here tomorrow thanks to prime. It has big antennas so hopefully it will do a good job! I will probably use it as just an access point but it has a Broadcom 6358 chipset so I can try it on my line if I feel like it. I'll let you know what I think!