Unlocking Openreach VDSL Modem

Started by .Griff., Sep 05, 2011, 20:17:49

Previous topic - Next topic

.Griff.

I've known for some time that there's been a couple of methods available to "unlock" the Openreach modem so that you can access all of the options and line stats that OR for some reason didn't want us to see but I didn't want to risk bricking the modem and lost interest.

I've now discovered there's a relatively simple way of doing this so I'm hoping to get a spare modem from a friend who works for Openreach and unlock it.

If successful I'll post back with screenshots and line stats.

(NOTE - I'm not going to post any links and/or methods to do this (yet) as I don't want to be responsible for people bricking their modems)

Steve

Thanks Griff . I've seen one informative thread, it would be nice if you could manage to acquire a spare modem to try it on.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

.Griff.

Operation "Unlock" is now under way.

My OR mate has obtained a spare modem and is posting it to me tomorrow!

;D

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Lance

Actually I'm watching the space below this post where Griff's post will slot in.  :whistle:
Lance
_____

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

Wonder why OR are so secretive about them.

Maybe there's lots of controls that your average user could fiddle with and thus disable their connection.

joe

Good luck Griff, looking forward to following your lead. I hope it is simpler than the method discussed by asbokid at

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=9503.0

Steve

I've read that one as well,not something to undertake after a few beers. >:D
Steve
------------

Technical Ben

Quote from: pctech on Sep 07, 2011, 11:52:26
Wonder why OR are so secretive about them.

Maybe there's lots of controls that your average user could fiddle with and thus disable their connection.

The fear of education. Instead of teaching the user how to actually do something, they are worried an uneducated user will break it. I prefer the solution to teach people the correct method, they prefer the solution to not trust the user.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Niall

Trouble is that the general member of the public can barely open a can of beans, so I wouldn't trust anyone with access that has the potential to damage things ;D If BT can't even get things right at their end, what changes do the uneducated masses have?

If it was Tropico 4, they'd all be working the fields for my general ;D
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

.Griff.

The modem has arrived and the first surprise is it's a "2B" revision.

I know Huawei revised the original design slightly and newer installs used the "2V" version but apparently the "2B" is the latest and newest revision in the series.

I've got a few things to do but I'll get it hooked up later and try and unlock it.

.Griff.

Rik

It must be something to do with the Chinese alphabet, Griff. ;)
Rik
--------------------

.Griff.

Success!!

(Click for full size image)

.Griff.

I know this is going to sound ridiculous but I'm positive that simple web browsing is so much quicker now with the new modem attached compared to the old.

Whether it's the different firmware or the fact it's a revised model I'm not sure but simply changing websites seems so much quicker now.

Perhaps it's just all in the mind!

Polchraine

Quote from: .Griff. on Sep 08, 2011, 13:43:44
I know this is going to sound ridiculous but I'm positive that simple web browsing is so much quicker now with the new modem attached compared to the old.

Whether it's the different firmware or the fact it's a revised model I'm not sure but simply changing websites seems so much quicker now.

Perhaps it's just all in the mind!

You have removed the "divert all traffic through GCHQ" patch!   leaving just the other one in place "send copies of all traffic to CGCHQ - Beijing"
I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

.Griff.

joe

Congratulations Griff!

Hoping to share your success shortly ;)

pctech

Just make sure you don't make or read any anti Communist comments.

.Griff.

Steve

A success then Griff :thumb:

However before others jump on the bandwagon be warned that unless you've acquired the modem elsewhere it is BT property I believe and apparently they do query these devices regularly

http://forum.zensupport.co.uk/39992/40400/permalink/ShowThread.aspx#40400
Steve
------------

.Griff.

Steve

Well it looks impressive but what does it mean. :blush:
Steve
------------

.Griff.

Quote from: Steve on Sep 08, 2011, 22:23:10
Well it looks impressive but what does it mean. :blush:

I was hoping someone could tell me!  :blush: