Training Period

Started by Stevescat, May 24, 2007, 19:58:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevescat

Hello all, hopefully migrating to IDNet very soon! ;D It will be my first ADSL Max connection and just installed my first router without problems. Is it best to leave the router on 24/7 (especially during the training period) or is it OK to switch off when not using the computer? Will you improve your chances of a better profile if you surf/download files as much as possible during the ten days?

Many thanks in advance,
Stevescat
Steve

D-Dan

From my own research, the jury is still out on the leave router on/turn it off debate. TBH, I leave mine on all the time regardless.

Whether or not you surf/download should have no effect. The training period is to get the best sync - not download speed which are both different things. You could leave the router on for two days and never touch the computer - it would acheive the same thing.

Just don't go turning the router on & off often, as this may signal an error to the server and will reduce sync speed.
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Stevescat

Thanks D-Dan,

When you say: 'You could leave the router on for two days and never touch the computer' do you mean the computer could actually be switched off during the 10 day training period without affecting the outcome?

Stevescat.
Steve

Adam

If you have a separate router, and not just a modem, it is safe to turn your computer without affecting your ADSL connection in any way. I personally would leave the router connected if you could, but that's my opinion. I often keep my router up for many months on end, basically until it crashes.
Adam

Lance

First of all, welcome to the forum.

It may be worth pointing out here that the 10 day training period isn't for setting your sync speed or profile, all it is for is to set some error rates for your line. Additionally, BT won't accept any fault reports until after the 10 days.

Your sync speed will be determined when you first sync with max and how high or low it is depends on how much noise there is on the line at the time. Depending on how high your sync is, is how your profile is determined. It is this profile that governs the speed for your line. Your sync speed may change whenever you lose connecting and re-sync, and your profile will adjust accordingly. Normally, you will resync around the same speed and it won't affect your profile, but if you are are the higher or lower end for the profile, it night make a difference.

Personally, I leave my router on all the time.

Hope this helps and isn't too confusing!

Lance
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Inactive

Welcome to the Forum .. Stevescat..  ;)
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Stevescat

Thanks for the response guys,

I should have said I have a modem/router connected via ethernet. So, for BT to determine errors rates etc during the ten day period would my computer need to be on? It obviously will be, I'm just curious.

Stevescat.
Steve

Adam

If it is connected via Ethernet I assume it is a router and not just a modem; the devices connected to the router can be safely turned off (which includes any computers).
Adam

Rik

Quote from: Stevescat on May 24, 2007, 23:24:00
So, for BT to determine errors rates etc during the ten day period would my computer need to be on? It obviously will be, I'm just curious.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Think of the router as a computer and modem in one box. The computer is dedicated to running the ADSL connection, monitoring it and handling the connections between ADSL and your other computers and also between all computers/devices on your network. It's all that is needed for BT to establish their figures which, as Lance says, are somewhat academic anyway.

If you were to use a USB modem, then your computer would have to be on to handle the work being done by the router.

As others have said, I leave my router on 24/7 except when I am going to be away for a while, eg holidays, or when there is thunder about, in which case I disconnect the router from both the mains and the phone line.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Stevescat

Thanks guys, fully understand.

Stevescat.
Steve