Internet problem?

Started by Broadback, Sep 14, 2011, 15:17:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Broadback

The last couple of days web pages have been taking ages to download. I am unable to find a speed checker that works, they either don't load, or like BT's fail. I use Internet explorer and have used Microsoft Fix it to no avail. I have also scanned using Avast (free version), no errors found.
Any suggestions please, on a postcard at this rate!  ::) Mail (Thunderbird) seems normal. PS just used Spell Check, that took a while to load.
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

Rik

I'd suggest trying an alternative browser, BB, as a first diagnostic, Chrome, Firefox or Opera. If those work normally, we know it's a browser issue, if they don't, we need to look at DNS settings, AV software and firewall.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Broadback

Thanks Rik, I've tried Chrome, seems even slower.

Rik

OK. Are you picking up DNS automatically, or setting it manually? Can you remind me which version of Windows you're using please, and what AV software and software firewall, if any.

If possible, can you run a BT speed test and post the results.
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Router stats might be useful too.
Lance
_____

Broadback

I cannot seem to find the BT speeed test, however I did get one to run and it is about 1/3 of what I normally get.

Rik

We need to see the stats from the BT test, BB, as they will tell us your sync speed and profile, together with throughput.

http://speedtester.bt.com/

As Lance says, the router stats, particularly downstream noise margin and attenuation would also help.
Rik
--------------------

Broadback

This is what I got with the BT test. Does not mean a lot to me. It is ages since I did a speed test, it did not look like this.

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :160 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

Steve

Could you manage your router stats also as Lance suggested
Steve
------------

Lance

The BT test indicates you have a very low sync (causing the slow speed) The router stats will confirm this. Looking at your sync in conjunction with your noise margin and attenuation will allow us to start guessing where the problem is.
Lance
_____

Broadback

Sorry, thanks for the help, please keep it up. Now how do I get the router stats ( 2wire 2700) and send them to you?

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Broadback

Fine I have them, how do I send them to you? Incidentally it is getting worse, even emails have slowed down, also clicking on links in emails no longer works, I have to copy and paste. I tried doing that with the statistics but the format is useless! 

Rik

You don't need to, BB, just tell us what the downstream sync, attenuation and noise margin are.
Rik
--------------------

Polchraine

It is also worth pulling up the sync or training history ... last 20 sync/loss_of_sync/resync events with the attenuation and SNR listed

Take a screenshot of the page and host it on Photobucket.  It will look a little like the image below but with more data to the right.

I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

Polchraine

Quote from: Broadback on Sep 15, 2011, 11:37:48
Fine I have them, how do I send them to you? Incidentally it is getting worse, even emails have slowed down, also clicking on links in emails no longer works, I have to copy and paste. I tried doing that with the statistics but the format is useless! 

Are you sure?      Makes me wonder if there is something nasty running on your PC.   The link should work, even if it takes 10, 20, 30 seconds.   Not working suggests something else may be wrong.

Rik

Or it's a long link, which trips up some email clients...
Rik
--------------------

Polchraine

Quote from: Rik on Sep 15, 2011, 12:09:15
Or it's a long link, which trips up some email clients...

He did say "links" and "no longer works" which suggests more than one has been tried and they did before ...   and if a forced break has been inserted then copy and paste would fail too (without editing).

Rik

I'm just covering all the bases. :)
Rik
--------------------

Broadback

Links definitely do not work. Anyway here is the Data Rik:

Down               Up
downstream sync 
attenuation           40db                  22.5db
noise margin         15db                  24db

I cannot see a measure for downstream sync.

Polchraine

If your device is a 2700 v4 then using the link Rik provided you should get a page with:

Broadband Link – Statistics
DSL Down Up
Current Rate: 0 kbs 0 kbs
Max Rate: 0 kbs 0 kbs
Current Connection:
Current Noise Margin: 0.0 dB 0.0 dB
Current Attenuation: 0.0 dB 0.0 dB
Current Output Power: 0.0 dBm 0.0 dBm

You margin is high and may have been forced up by a burst of noise and your line needs time to work back to normal.

As a start I would suggest:   
Use the modem GUI to disconnect the DSL - managed rather than just pulling the cable out.
Power off teh modem/router (2700)
Disconnect phone cable.
Shut down PC

Wait 30 minutes - modem can cool down if overheating and any session will die or be killed off

Boot PC
Power up modem (2700)
Wait at least 2 minutes to allow modem to fully boot.
Connect phone cable to modem
Connect PC

Then look at the stats and also try the BT Beta speedtest  at http://speedtest.btcentralplus.com/beta/    not 100% accurate but a quick and easy way

Broadback

Sorry I do not understand "Use the modem GUI to disconnect the DSL", rather to my suprise I understand the rest.

Polchraine

Quote from: Broadback on Sep 15, 2011, 14:10:56
Sorry I do not understand "Use the modem GUI to disconnect the DSL", rather to my suprise I understand the rest.

Somewhere in the menu structure (GUI - Graphical User Interface) there should be a "Disconnect DSL" or similar.   But you can probably get away without it ...  A tidy shutdown is normally better than an untidy one!

I'm not guaranteeing the suggestions will work but everything can then restart "clean(ish)"

Broadback

Thank you all for your invaluable help. I now have all zeros in my statistics and download speed is now 4.38 MB. Now all I have to do is fix the link problem. I will delete and reload IE methinks, when I sort out how to save all my favourites and re-insert them after a reload of IE. Thanks again you are all stars.  :thumb:

pctech

I'd not advise deleting IE unless you have upgraded it.