Unlocking Openreach VDSL Modem

Started by .Griff., Sep 05, 2011, 20:17:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

We'll have to wait then.   ;D Is downstream on the left or right? The dip on the left I assume is caused by 'noise' hitting certain frequencies.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

joe

Griff,

I can understand the communication between PC and the OR modem in isolation when 192.168.1.1 would have no conflicts, but when connected in a normal operating manner:  OR modem - Linsksys WRT610n router - PC  then 192.168.1.1 is the IP address of the Linsksys. How then does one communicate with the OR modem?

Early days but as yet you don't appear to be getting much help understanding your graphs!

Lance

Change the address of the router?
Lance
_____

.Griff.

Quote from: Lance on Sep 11, 2011, 14:57:25
Change the address of the router?

As Lance suggested. Either change the IP of your router or you can change the IP of the OR Modem.

By default my Linksys router is also 192.168.1.1 but I just changed to it 192.168.1.2.

.Griff.

Something else I'm stumbled across.

The modem has QOS enabled by default and disabling this has boosted both my download and upload speeds.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

.Griff.

My previous fastest upload speed was 8.41Mbps and in the last 12 months it's never exceeded that. Now it tops out at 8.57Mbps so not a great increase but an increase all the same.

As for download that's harder to measure due to my ever changing IP Profile but I'd say it's added maybe 1Mbps to the top speed.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

.Griff.

Quote from: Rik on Sep 11, 2011, 16:26:39
A Tesco moment, then. ;)

Took me a second but indeed it does!

Rik

Rik
--------------------

joe

.Griff.

joe

When I'm in a position to get some I'll let you know!

Anton

Quote from: .Griff. on Sep 11, 2011, 16:20:14
The modem has QOS enabled by default and disabling this has boosted both my download and upload speeds.

I'm on the edge of my ignorance now, but what traffic does QOS prioritise on the BT network? I'm assuming VOIP and Video, but I'm just guessing?
Anton
FTTC - Airport Extreme (Dual Band) - Various Macs and Apple TVs!

joe

Stats are going to have to wait until I obtain a spare, and cheap, OR modem.

I'm intersted in obtaining the stats but am not about to spend more than £44.20 (current bid as at time of writing) on eBay to get one when BT might well replace it if, and when, they double the speed.

I'm also not sure about buying an item from any seller who may not actually own it. I understand that my OR modem belongs to BT and is therefore not mine to sell. Is that correct?

In any event everything is working OK at the moment so I think I will leave well alone.

pctech

Quote from: Anton on Sep 12, 2011, 20:50:45
I'm on the edge of my ignorance now, but what traffic does QOS prioritise on the BT network? I'm assuming VOIP and Video, but I'm just guessing?

I don't think customer router (CPE) based QoS has any effect on the BT handling of packets Anton as it is effectively a tunnel as far as I understand it.

Only QoS is best effort and assured rate at the moment I believe and is arranged between BT and the ISP.

Lance

Indeed it's just the packets the modem chooses to prioritise and allocate bandwidth to. I'm also guessing it's VoIP and streaming.
Lance
_____