Switching to IDNet from Orange Broadband

Started by marka87uk, Sep 16, 2011, 19:03:19

Previous topic - Next topic

marka87uk

Hi,

I currently have Orange broadband and pay for the broadband and telephone calls through them.

What is the process to switch to IDNet Fibre with a phone package?

Do I need to call Orange first to get a MAC code before ordering from IDNet?

Any help would be much appreciated as I haven't moved providers before!

Steve

I think you need to talk to support. I'll probably get it wrong  ;D AFAIK there's no MAC facility from adsl to FTTC. BT look on that as a new connection.Obviously you can transfer phone and broadband via filling in the forms on the web site when you are in receipt of a MAC from Orange.

My guess is that you could ask Orange to 'cancel' your broadband connection and ask IDNet to arrange a BT FTTC install. However this is likely to leave you with potential downtime so it might be more efficient to switch supplier and then when that's achieved go for FTTC.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

marka87uk

Thanks Steve, I'll phone support tomorrow. :)

.Griff.

Quote from: Steve on Sep 16, 2011, 22:52:41
AFAIK there's no MAC facility from adsl to FTTC.

There is. I used a MAC code when I moved from ADSL2+ to FTTC.

Steve

Thanks Griff I thought I'd get it wrong :red: 
Steve
------------

Simon

Quote from: marka87uk on Sep 16, 2011, 23:30:19
Thanks Steve, I'll phone support tomorrow. :)

You'll get the out of hours service tomorrow, but they might be able to give general advice.  You'll be able to speak to IDNet 'proper' on Monday.  :)
Simon.
--

mervl

Quote from: marka87uk on Sep 16, 2011, 19:03:19
Hi,

I currently have Orange broadband and pay for the broadband and telephone calls through them.

What is the process to switch to IDNet Fibre with a phone package?

Do I need to call Orange first to get a MAC code before ordering from IDNet?

Any help would be much appreciated as I haven't moved providers before!

:) I made the same change last month. You need a MAC from Orange for the broadband, but can't change both simultaneously. (If you order broadband and phone, the default is the broadband moves first followed by the phone).  But with Orange you need to get the phone service actually transferred first (takes two weeks from Order precisely - because I think of slamming rules), only then can you order broadband with the MAC and for me that took the minimum extra week. All went through swimmingly, as long as done this "right" way. With the phone set up the Orange broadband still works, but they don't make any allowance for your bill, and charge you for an extra 2 weeks as per their t&cs after they "find out" about your switch from their BT records, on your next billing date. So if you start with the MAC you need to allow for the two weeks to set up phone, within the 30 days validity!

If you manage to get the discount for phone and broadband please let me know 'cause I didn't.

Brian at IDNet support might just remember my case!

I'd previously tried to do both simultaneously with Plusnet and the order got stuck in the OpenReach systems, because Orange won't allow use of their phone service without broadband, for every other BTW ISP you can change the broadband first followed by the phone, but of course not Orange!

I did both via IDNet's website:
1. Phone you can just do with IDNet, Orange should write to confirm your service is moving (but didn't in my case);
2. For the fibre broadband it will come up as with an existing service so you need a MAC (without which you can't order), but my experience is that nothing will happen to the Order within OpenReach's systems unless you've FIRST transferred the phone. (To be fair this is stated in the Orange e-mail when they send you the MAC, but you have to read it carefully). Ordering separately it all went through and there was an automatic confirmation of the committed transfer date from OR within one hour of each order. Astounding! (at least compared to the usual Orange chaos).

marka87uk

Wow thanks! - Very helpful! :D

So to confirm - I need to move the phone to IDNet first and I can do this by choosing a Home Phone package on IDNet's website and selecting 'transfer'?

That will take two weeks - in which time I can request my MAC code from Orange. Once the phone package has transferred to IDNet I can then order the FTTC broadband from IDNet using the MAC code?

What discount are you referring to?

Thanks again for your post - I'm a bit clueless with this! ;)

mervl

Hi.you're right on the phone transfer, though you might not get a confirmed date until office hours, knowing OpenReach! You can request the MAC from Orange any time - they have up to a week to issue it (normally by e-mail if they have your address, otherwise post) but it expires after a month unless you use it to order broadband within that time. So if you're definitely going to move I'd request it now, order the phone transfer from IDNet same time and you'll have a fortnight still to use it after the phone is activated. (If there's  a delay you can get another MAC after the first one has expired i.e. the 30 day validity period after issue).

The point when moving from Orange Home Phone and broadband is that if you try to order the broadband transfer e.g. on IDnet's website, before the phone move is completed (when BT will send you an e-mail to confirm your new phone service is up and running, mine was at 3am on the 10th working day after I ordered the phone service from IDNet = minimum 2 weeks), IDNet may accept the order but BT who have to do the work at the exchange won't and nothing willl happen. After the phone transfer is complete it should go through no problem.

The discount is I think if you can order phone and broadband together (which we can't moving from Orange) it's £1 cheaper! But you could always ask IDNet to merge your telephone and broadband account when you're up and running!

I'm well chuffed, Orange had me stuck on a 3 Mbps speed which was less than half what I should have been capable of on ADSL2+, and even at well over 600m from the cab my synch is over 33Mbps and speeds regularly achieve up to 30Mbps - it makes a real difference!

mervl

Just one thing though: I'd just run a check (but stop before you confirm order) to make sure you can get the fibre service before you place the phone order! :fingers:

marka87uk

Thanks, you've been very helpful!

Their website says I can get FTTC and I have done checks on other sites also with my phone number and they've said I can get it.

Do you think it's worth phoning IDNet up on Monday to confirm though?

mervl

I just trusted the web portal as I assume CS use the same info anyway (and it all comes from the same BT wholesale checker anyway)! Don't forget though you'll need a cable router not your existing ADSL router to connect more than one PC etc to the broadband - whilst I bought the configured IDNet Netgear, you can save £20 or more by getting your own. The config details come with the broadband acknowledgement e-mail on the order.

marka87uk

Cheers - yep I've ordered a cable router - I went for a Buffalo N300 which was only about £25 and should do the job! :thumb:

I'll let you know how I get on! :)