Timico Expansion

Started by Tacitus, Sep 28, 2011, 09:08:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacitus

An interesting post http://www.trefor.net/2011/09/27/what-do-we-want-service-when-do-we-want-it-now-itil.

Interesting how Timico and Newnet appear to be abandoning the domestic market in favour of being a more broad based communications company aimed at business.  Zen and iDNet may well be doing the same sort of thing.  It does make you wonder whether the days of the small ISP which offers more personal service to the consumer market are numbered.

The majority of people are not prepared to pay for quality; a business on the other hand which increasingly may depend  on Broadband and integrated comms, is more likely to pay for value-add in order to secure quality and service.

pctech

I sincerely hope Zen don't (although they have recently started offering domestic line rental so poss not)

TBH after my experience with Plusnet I'd rather go back to using a range of dial up numbers than go with one of the big companies.

Newnet were good in the days when the founder was in charge but I left after I found myself without bandwidth and I could not purchase any because their systems would not allow a connection out to do a verified by visa verification.

System oversight which was fair enough had they admitted it when I called them but they denied there was an issue so I requested my MAC and went to Zen and have never looked back.

If Zen gets gobbled up by them I may move to IDNet.

Rik

Quote from: Tacitus on Sep 28, 2011, 09:08:44
It does make you wonder whether the days of the small ISP which offers more personal service to the consumer market are numbered.

Hands may be forced as the consumer looks to make savings, of course. IDNet and Zen inevitably look expensive to people who just study the bottom line.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

There will always be those like us that value service too but whether there are enough of us to support the companies remains to be seen.

I hope that even if both Zen and IDNet do go business only that they retain their existing domestic customers.

Apparently when Timico took over they started pulling out Newnet's LLU kit.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Tacitus

Quote from: pctech on Sep 28, 2011, 10:01:14
There will always be those like us that value service too but whether there are enough of us to support the companies remains to be seen.

I think that's the point, there simply aren't enough people in the consumer sector that value service to the point of being prepared to pay for it.

I hope that even if both Zen and IDNet do go business only that they retain their existing domestic customers.

I can't see either of them abandoning their existing customers.  If they did decide to concentrate on business I imagine it would be through expansion of 'additional services', SIP phones, quality hosting, SLAs, ethernet direct  ;D and so on, but at prices designed to deter the consumer whilst appealing to business.

Apparently when Timico took over they started pulling out Newnet's LLU kit.

Maybe they took the view there were sufficient wholesale suppliers to fall back on, to make the investment not worthwhile.  I imagine you would need seriously deep pockets if you are going to make any impact with LLU which is probably why Zen's LLU offering is restricted to Rochdale (AFAIK)

pctech

Think they also cover Leeds and Manchester too (seems to be whereever they also have presence in a datacentre)