Any merit to twisted pair phone cable?

Started by pctech, Sep 17, 2011, 20:30:23

Previous topic - Next topic

pctech

Been having a few resynchs lately and I was wondering whether the phone cable could be picking up interference.

I've read that round twisted pair phone cable is better than the flat stuff but wondered if there's any truth to this?

.Griff.

For such a short length it makes negligible difference.

In fact I have 45cm Pro+ RJ11 from Adslnation and I noticed absolutely no difference at all.

It's currently sitting on my desk so if you want to test it out let me know and I'll gladly post it to you.

pctech

Lance

The flat stuff is absolutely the worst cable to have. I've seen instances where even short runs <2m have introduced large amounts of noise to the line.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Polchraine

Quote from: pctech on Sep 17, 2011, 20:30:23
Been having a few resynchs lately and I was wondering whether the phone cable could be picking up interference.

I've read that round twisted pair phone cable is better than the flat stuff but wondered if there's any truth to this?

Twisted pair IS better than non-twisted.   You can get near flat twisted pair as well as round.   The near flat has each pair twisted together but the twisted-pairs are not twisted together.   

It may give you an improvement or may not, but it certainly will not make it worse.

I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

pctech

I'll order some come pay day, its worth a punt I suppose.

woppy101

Quote from: pctech on Sep 18, 2011, 14:17:52
I'll order some come pay day, its worth a punt I suppose.
Where do you get it from ads nation doesn't have any of the 3m stuff in stock

pctech

I was looking at the 1m rather than 3m

pctech

I don't think the 3m is the same stuff

woppy101

Quote from: pctech on Sep 18, 2011, 18:45:16
I don't think the 3m is the same stuff
Where do you get the 1m stuff from

woppy101

How long does it take for stock to come in

Polchraine

pctech

Last time I tried tinkering with cat5 cutters and crimpers I nearly had my fingers off.  ;D

Joking aside such stuff isn't my specialty as I have fine motor control problems.

Niall

I'd be interested in people's experience with this. I'm planning on getting a new phone for my bedroom. As I don't have call monitoring on my line, I'm going to get a phone that does it for me, that doesn't need a power pack. You can get them for £24 so I might as well get that twisted pair cable too.

Are they shielded or not? I couldn't see any info on that, at a glance.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

.Griff.

Quote from: Niall on Sep 19, 2011, 15:01:35
I'd be interested in people's experience with this. I'm planning on getting a new phone for my bedroom. As I don't have call monitoring on my line, I'm going to get a phone that does it for me, that doesn't need a power pack. You can get them for £24 so I might as well get that twisted pair cable too.

They are shielded yes.

Polchraine

Quote from: Niall on Sep 19, 2011, 15:01:35

But the shielding will do very little especially as the shielding is not earthed.

From experience - Flat untwisted is the worst,  flat shielded improves a little, then a big jump to twisted pair and finally twisted pair screened (but only just).   On my old ADSL2+ connection the difference from twisted pair to screened twisted pair was 1 or 2 kbps and sometimes the sync would be less so allowing for changes in sync each time the results were too small to be significant

woppy101

Quote from: Polchraine on Sep 19, 2011, 15:15:00

But the shielding will do very little especially as the shielding is not earthed.

From experience - Flat untwisted is the worst,  flat shielded improves a little, then a big jump to twisted pair and finally twisted pair screened (but only just).   On my old ADSL2+ connection the difference from twisted pair to screened twisted pair was 1 or 2 kbps and sometimes the sync would be less so allowing for changes in sync each time the results were too small to be significant
What was the difference between flat and twisted

Polchraine

Quote from: woppy101 on Sep 19, 2011, 19:07:01
What was the difference between flat and twisted
About 400k on a link running at 4800k ish. Some was at the top end and sorting some notches in the bit loading profile.

pctech

Just installed the new cable and rebooted the router.

No immediate difference in sync but I suspect that will come in time.

Polchraine

Did you get the cable the right way round?    Socket end to socket and router end to router?    It can make a difference especially as the pairs are twisted together and a reverse twist will have a negative effect.

pctech

Yer pulling my leg aren't you?

Connectors are same both ends and there's no indication at all.

Polchraine

Quote from: pctech on Sep 23, 2011, 18:19:45
Yer pulling my leg aren't you?

Connectors are same both ends and there's no indication at all.

Look at the text - the connection should flow along in the direction the writing on the outer sheath!

wecpcs

Quote from: Polchraine on Sep 24, 2011, 00:02:19
Look at the text - the connection should flow along in the direction the writing on the outer sheath!

That is complete rubbish, as I used to make up network leads when I had my own computer shop. The only differences are a normal (straight connected) patch cable for normal use and a crosswired cable for connecting together directly two PC's without a hub or switch.

Colin

cavillas

Most routers and Lan cards/connections nowadays automatically sense which way round they are connected.
------
Alf :)