not my day

Started by woppy101, Sep 21, 2011, 17:20:29

Previous topic - Next topic

woppy101

Quote from: Rik on Sep 22, 2011, 17:49:52
Ultimately, IDNet - or any provider - can only communicate through BT's channels. They can't phone an engineer direct and ask him to pop round. If there is a fault, or BT tell them there is, they have to allow BT time to fix it. Unfortunately, you don't pay for a service with enhanced care or a guaranteed SLA, so as far as BT goes, it's "Join the queue". I do know, however, that support have given your case priority over the past three days, and have repeatedly phoned BT on your behalf. They are relaying to you what they are being told by BT, there's no way for them to check that information. I certainly wouldn't rely on what BT have said, I had a line card failure at the exchange at the beginning of the year. For three days, BT denied there was any fault and swore I was in sync despite there being no router connected to the line. Eventually, they realised the fault and it was sorted in hours. It's worth noting also that some faults can be fixed remotely, if it's down to a configuration error.

after a good chat with the young girl at idnet i have no doubt they are trying there best and i thank them for it,they have said i have a line card failure(what is that?)but as i said to the girl what would you think if 20 minutes after the engineer had left the new line failed and then you were told the next morning there is an exchange fault that is affecting a lot of people on the exchange,only to find that not one of the 300 lines on camp have been affected(half of the exchange of 600)would you not cry foul(i have no doubt now it is bt messing me about)and that is what i was trying to explane to the young girl if i have been unfair i do appoligise

Rik

All lines connect to a line card at the exchange, this transfers them onto the BT network. I can't be more precise, I'm afraid as my knowledge is limited, but if a line card fails, it stops access. As I mentioned, this is what happened to me at the beginning of the year. Unfortunately, BT don't always seem to see the 'public' side of the card, and remote diagnosis can show no fault as a result. It's only when they send an engineer to the exchange that they detect and rectify the fault. Sadly, card failures, like all bits of electronic equipment, are unpredictable and sudden.

Because of the way exchanges and BT's cabling system work, you may be the only person on the base connected to that card - certainly, when I had the problem, none of my neighbours was affected.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

woppy101

Quote from: Rik on Sep 22, 2011, 18:45:02
All lines connect to a line card at the exchange, this transfers them onto the BT network. I can't be more precise, I'm afraid as my knowledge is limited, but if a line card fails, it stops access. As I mentioned, this is what happened to me at the beginning of the year. Unfortunately, BT don't always seem to see the 'public' side of the card, and remote diagnosis can show no fault as a result. It's only when they send an engineer to the exchange that they detect and rectify the fault. Sadly, card failures, like all bits of electronic equipment, are unpredictable and sudden.

Because of the way exchanges and BT's cabling system work, you may be the only person on the base connected to that card - certainly, when I had the problem, none of my neighbours was affected.
Would a faulty line card be the reason why when it did connect for a brief time yesterday it was so low 338kbps 25-30db snr,also do they put in a new line card or just transfer you to another one(will i get a better connection with a new card?)

Rik

A faulty line card could certainly cause a low sync. The card is usually replaced.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Line cards seem to be a common problem for BT don't they but then again the plug in circuit boards in routers are quite fragile.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

I did watch one of our networking guys at work swap one out and he did have to be extremely gentle (Ehernet line module in a Cisco router)

I somehow doubt BT engineers are that gentle.

Rik

Just because they use club hammers doesn't mean they can't be gentle with them. ;D
Rik
--------------------

woppy101

Line now reconnected,happy bunny again  ;D btw what does Uncancelled echo mean?

Rik

The router is detecting an echo in the signal which is not being cancelled out. If the level gets too great, the router will resync.
Rik
--------------------

woppy101

Is the minus figure good or bad also what is this
VCXO Frequency Offset:   2.3 ppm   Ok

Rik

It's normal, there isn't really a good or bad other than 0. VCXO frequency offset is the discrepancy in frequency between the router and the DSLAM/MSAN. A small variation is normal, figures above 100 are likely to cause problems.
Rik
--------------------

woppy101

I may as well go the whole hog what does this meen
Final Rx Gain:   33.7 dB   Ok

Rik

No idea. You got me. ;D
Rik
--------------------