Interference

Started by woppy101, Sep 23, 2011, 19:49:54

Previous topic - Next topic

woppy101

Can a power socket cause snr drops and interference?I'm having random snr drops at first I thought it was my heating but I have just had a drop 30mins before the heating has come on,it can't be the street lights because they have never been on/due to switch on or off during any drops.the only thing I can find is when walking round with a untuned radio the plug next to the master socket buzzes like hell, the socket is switched off but still buzzing,when I put it next to another socket that is switched off there is no sound  anyone got any ideas

Lona

Time you got your house re-wired,woppy. ;D

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

woppy101

I wish but it's an army house so not much chance of that,if I have something plugged into the socket and switched on do you think that will help?

Simon

Only one way to find out...  ;)
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

woppy101

Quote from: Simon on Sep 23, 2011, 20:27:53
Only one way to find out...  ;)
Have you ever heard of any interference coming from a plug socket

Lona

I had a socket that made a sound when something was plugged into it and it turned out that it needed re-wired.

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Simon

I can think of instances where extention blocks, power units, etc have caused noise, but I can't recall an actual plug socket doing so.  Doesn't mean it can't happen though, but that's not to say it's the problem.  Sorry not to be more definite.   
Simon.
--

woppy101

Quote from: Lona on Sep 23, 2011, 20:39:33
I had a socket that made a sound when something was plugged into it and it turned out that it needed re-wired.
Do you mean taking the socket out and reconnecting the wires or putting in new wires all together

woppy101

Quote from: Simon on Sep 23, 2011, 20:50:25
I can think of instances where extention blocks, power units, etc have caused noise, but I can't recall an actual plug socket doing so.  Doesn't mean it can't happen though, but that's not to say it's the problem.  Sorry not to be more definite.
I'm starting to run out of ideas for what could be causing these drops

Lona

Quote from: woppy101 on Sep 23, 2011, 20:56:21
Do you mean taking the socket out and reconnecting the wires or putting in new wires all together

It can just mean checking the wires behind the socket.  They might not be securely connected

woppy101

I have plugged on of them smelly things into the socket to see if the constant power draw stops the interference/spike

lozcart

Can you isolate the power and replace the socket faceplate, they are cheap in DIY stores and see if it solves the buzz.

cavillas

It could possibly be a loose earth wire in the socket then something else that is working on the same circuit could produce some interference thatis not being sorted out by earthing.
------
Alf :)

woppy101

I have just went round with a radio again and in my foyer you have the master socket then a plug socket and then some heating pipes running up the wall from the floor the the celing,now when putting the radio next to the pipes the radio buzzes the length of the pipe is that normal(if not is there anyway to insulate the pipes to stop the interference)

Rik

The only thing to do would be to earth the pipes, it sounds like they are acting as an antenna. The socket issue could be that the screws need tightening on the wires into the socket, it could mean that the contacts inside are loose and causing some arcing - I'd replace it, as has been suggested, as that will remove both possibilities.
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Are you not supposed to get a qualified electrician to do that sort of thing now?
Simon.
--

Rik

Theoretically, maybe. Certainly new wiring requires certification, but I think it's still OK to change an existing fitting - no-one will know as there are no wire colours to give it away.
Rik
--------------------

cavillas

I always sortour electrical wiring out and I can now change sockets and swithches with power on ;)
------

Rik

Nice thick rubber mat, Alf?
Rik
--------------------

cavillas

Nah! I satnd on the wife. ;D
------

Lona

sobranie

see next post

sobranie

A buzzing noise from an electrical socket means something is seriously wrong with the socket or the wiring to the socket.

Turn the electrical socket off – remove any electrical appliances that are plugged into the socket.

A buzzing noise is usually a sign of a bad connection, either something is loose or the wiring is corroded or burnt.

Replace immediately after turning off at the mains fuse box. If you can't, call an electrician.

woppy101

Quote from: sobranie on Sep 24, 2011, 16:51:28
A buzzing noise from an electrical socket means something is seriously wrong with the socket or the wiring to the socket.

Turn the electrical socket off – remove any electrical appliances that are plugged into the socket.

A buzzing noise is usually a sign of a bad connection, either something is loose or the wiring is corroded or burnt.

Replace immediately after turning off at the mains fuse box. If you can't, call an electrician.

I think I should explain the socket doesnt buzz at all(it's silent and cool)it's the radio buzz that goes haywire when I place the radio next to it

woppy101

But getting back to the interference I put an old dg834g v3 on this morning(renowned for holding a sync even past 0db and a TI chipset same as the exchange), and I had a burst of interference at 1400hrs where the snr was at 0db for around 6minutes and it managed to hold without a re-sync(touch wood lol)!
Even though I will only be 3days into my training period should I report a REIN fault to idnet on Monday?