Interference

Started by woppy101, Sep 23, 2011, 19:49:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Not unless you're absolutely sure it's external, Woppy, or you could face a large bill. In practice, IDNet can't raise a fault until the training period is complete, so spend the week double and triple-checking your own wiring and equipment. FWIW, when I was using a Netgear, I could get to a -2db reported NM, but I think that Netgears are 'optimistic'. Switching to a 2700 improved both sync speed and stability.

Quote from: woppy101 on Sep 24, 2011, 17:31:38
I think I should explain the socket doesnt buzz at all(it's silent and cool)it's the radio buzz that goes haywire when I place the radio next to it

What's plugged into that socket?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ardua

Quote from: woppy101 on Sep 24, 2011, 17:40:50
Even though I will only be 3days into my training period should I report a REIN fault to idnet on Monday?

I assume that when you say 'Army' house you are in fact talking about Service Forces Married Accommodation; that is, a Married Quarter. Rather than tinker with things yourself, I would be inclined to report the matter to the Families Office (or whatever they call them today) and ask for the electrical supply to be checked: that would show up any earthing fault.

I well recall the story of a young airmen who tried to repair an electric bell on his MQ front door. He suspected a wiring fault so he came up with the bright idea of disconnecting the bell power supply wires at the fusebox. He then tried to pull the wires through from the front only to find some resistance. Not one to give in, he pulled some more. The resistance was in fact the fusebox as he had disconnected the wrong wires and he managed to pull it off the wall. A repair with a large bill (after all it was the Public sector and they always add 25% for admin expenses) followed.

woppy101

Quote from: Rik on Sep 24, 2011, 18:04:43
Not unless you're absolutely sure it's external, Woppy, or you could face a large bill. In practice, IDNet can't raise a fault until the training period is complete, so spend the week double and triple-checking your own wiring and equipment. FWIW, when I was using a Netgear, I could get to a -2db reported NM, but I think that Netgears are 'optimistic'. Switching to a 2700 improved both sync speed and stability.

What's plugged into that socket?

There is nothing plugged into the socket

I also have the 2700 and while I'd does give better speeds and information it doesn't seem to hold the snr(I had a disconect at 1800hrs but I'm not sure if it was an enforced one from the exchange because I synced lower 3008 and the snr raised to 8db)

Rik

What firmware are you running? Do all your mains sockets produce similar noise from the radio?
Rik
--------------------

woppy101

Quote from: Rik on Sep 24, 2011, 18:49:26
What firmware are you running? Do all your mains sockets produce similar noise from the radio?
No it only seems to be that socket(others do it when something is switched on and plugged in but this one has nothing plugged in and is switched off)
I'm running
dg834 v4.01.28
2700hgv v4.25

Simon

Would it be worth changing the PSU of the 2700, I wonder?
Simon.
--

woppy101

Quote from: Simon on Sep 24, 2011, 21:04:02
Would it be worth changing the PSU of the 2700, I wonder?
It's a brand new one out of the box about a week ago

Simon

Simon.
--

Rik

Quote from: woppy101 on Sep 24, 2011, 18:55:54
No it only seems to be that socket(others do it when something is switched on and plugged in but this one has nothing plugged in and is switched off)

What's on the other side of the wall (if it's an internal wall)?
Rik
--------------------

woppy101

Quote from: Rik on Sep 25, 2011, 11:33:19
What's on the other side of the wall (if it's an internal wall)?
Another plug socket that the router is plugged into(it's an old house with brick internal Walls not wood and plasterboard) 

Rik

Check the PSU, then, it could be noisy.
Rik
--------------------

sobranie

If your am radio picks up noise from the socket then you should change it especially if the router is plugged in on the other side of the wall and is quite likely spurred off the errant socket too.
Sorry to harp on about this BUT you know where the possible noise is coming from so why not take action??? If it's not the socket then you'll have wasted the princely sum of a few quid!!

woppy101

Two more disconnects today 8hrs apart,i have now plugged the power supply into I different socket and taken the router as far away from the sockets(have a three meter twisted pair modem cable) as I can.where does the interference normally get into the system ie router,cable or master socket? I think I will give idnet a ring on Monday I have taken print screens of all the disconnects and they all look very similar

Rik

Are you running Routerstats?
Rik
--------------------

woppy101

Quote from: Rik on Sep 25, 2011, 18:01:50
Are you running Routerstats?
Yeah sorry that's where I'm getting the graphs from

Rik

Can you tie resyncs to falls in NM?
Rik
--------------------

woppy101

Quote from: Rik on Sep 25, 2011, 18:24:47
Can you tie resyncs to falls in NM?
Yes(I haven't been taking print screens of the re-syncs I best start)

Rik

Is there any pattern emerging, eg time of day?
Rik
--------------------

woppy101

Quote from: Rik on Sep 25, 2011, 18:32:15
Is there any pattern emerging, eg time of day?
nope there seems to be no pattern(not that i have noticed any way)
here are my line stats from my last disconnect just incase you can see anything
Connection Rate:  3552   Kbps
Line Attenuation: 58     dB
Noise Margin:     5      dB

Max Rate:         3552   Kbps

Interleave CRC:   13
Interleave FEC:   22575
Interleave HEC:   0

Fast path CRC:    0
Fast path FEC:    0
Fast path HEC:    0

Superframes:      212920

Downstream (Rx):
  Good Cells: 911747
  Idle Cells: 30919924
  Bad HEC Cells: 163
  Overflow Dropped: 0

Bytes Transferred (ppp0):
  Tx: 135646790 (129.3 Mb)
  Rx: 37896813 (36.1 Mb)

Rik

The sync speed seems reasonable for the line length and quality, but there's clearly noise around as demonstrated by the interleave error figures.
Rik
--------------------

woppy101

:laugh:
Quote from: Rik on Sep 25, 2011, 18:39:45
The sync speed seems reasonable for the line length and quality, but there's clearly noise around as demonstrated by the interleave error figures.
Is there a way to insulate the socket from noise?

woppy101

Quote from: Rik on Sep 25, 2011, 18:39:45
could the errors not be because im downloading at max bandwith

Rik

Well, the more data that's transferred, the more errors will show, but it's still a sign that there's noise affecting the line.
Rik
--------------------