advice/reasurance

Started by woppy101, Sep 27, 2011, 13:50:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacitus

I think you may have multiple problems, so you need to eliminate them one by one.

First, why not switch the PC off overnight?  If the TBB monitor and/or idnet logs then show a significant difference it's clear you have a problem with the PC - possibly a virus as Simon_idnet suggests. Get that sorted.

Then you can look at what's happening and address any remaining problems.  If iDNet can't see a series of disconnections at their end , it looks as though you may have either a router or wiring problem, so you can move to address those.

It's only by a process of patient elimination that you'll get to the bottom of it.  I doubt moving from idnet is going to make any difference, but that's your choice.

.Griff.

I notice there's a distinct change in the graph since you've changed your wireless password.

It could just be a coincidence but it suggests someone was using your wireless and hammering the connection.

Having said that there's still a regular and timed pattern of upload which needs investigating. Do a complete virus and aware scan ASAP.

woppy101

I noticed that also, my pc does an auto virus/spy sweep every day @1200hrs and had never picked anything up,I will change my router now but I wad using the netgear ate the start of the training period and was doing the same thing(I am sure the noise isn't coming from my end I have changed routers, modem cables,turned the heating off for three days solid and the router is now over away from all power sockets) my router is plugged into a adsl nation filterd face plate so that excludes internal wiring

.Griff.

If you could turn off the pc for 30 minutes or so it would be helpful.

Simon

Is there anyone else in the household that might have been using the connection overnight?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

woppy101

Quote from: .Griff. on Oct 03, 2011, 10:57:03
If you could turn off the pc for 30 minutes or so it would be helpful.

It's off using iPad only

.Griff.

Quote from: woppy101 on Oct 03, 2011, 10:58:41
It's off using iPad only

What time did you turn off the PC?

Since approximately 8.45am someone and/or something has been using your connection to upload something every 30 minutes.

woppy101

Quote from: .Griff. on Oct 03, 2011, 11:04:30
What time did you turn off the PC?

Since approximately 8.45am someone and/or something has been using your connection to upload something every 30 minutes.
I turned the pc off at 1045 my wife is in the house but she will be using the iPad,I have changed the router so no one can be using my network

.Griff.

The new router isn't setup to accept ICMP ping requests (see red block on graph).

The fact still remains prior to you turning off your PC at 10.45am something/someone was using your connection to upload something exactly every 30 minutes. The consistent timing of it suggests it's something on your PC you're not aware of.

woppy101

Quote from: .Griff. on Oct 03, 2011, 11:53:02
The new router isn't setup to accept ICMP ping requests (see red block on graph).

The fact still remains prior to you turning off your PC at 10.45am something/someone was using your connection to upload something exactly every 30 minutes. The consistent timing of it suggests it's something on your PC you're not aware of.

The only thing running was router stats

.Griff.

Quote from: woppy101 on Oct 03, 2011, 12:04:42
The only thing running was router stats

The only thing you're aware that's running is router stats but something is definitely hammering your upload every 30 minutes. You only have to look at the graph yourself to see the latency goes through the roof (literally) every 30 minutes.

woppy101

how do i open up my router to allow it to work

.Griff.

Quote from: woppy101 on Oct 03, 2011, 12:34:25
how do i open up my router to allow it to work

Without my crystal ball I'll need to know what router you're now using?!?   ;)

Rik

It varies from router to router. On my 2700:

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=J15&THISPAGE=J14&NEXTPAGE=J15

and uncheck the stealth mode box.

On other routers, it may be a case of allowing ICMP traffic.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

woppy101

Quote from: .Griff. on Oct 03, 2011, 12:37:36
Without my crystal ball I'll need to know what router you're now using?!?   ;)
sorry dg834g v3 i have now change from the 2700

.Griff.

Advanced -> WAN Setup -> enable "Respond to Ping on Internet WAN Port" and click Apply.

woppy101

Quote from: .Griff. on Oct 03, 2011, 12:47:43
Advanced -> WAN Setup -> enable "Respond to Ping on Internet WAN Port" and click Apply.
thanks its now active again

Gary

Woppy, I would grab the free version of Prevx and see what it finds, its very very thorough and is worth using its a small download and works with any AV. If something is alluding your pc security it should find it. Prevx 3.0 should be fine http://www.prevx.com/
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

woppy101

Quote from: Gary on Oct 03, 2011, 12:54:24
Woppy, I would grab the free version of Prevx and see what it finds, its very very thorough and is worth using its a small download and works with any AV. If something is alluding your pc security it should find it. Prevx 3.0 should be fine http://www.prevx.com/
at the minute im using webroot but i will do that thanks

BTW the virus and spy came back clean,im giving it a second pass just in case

woppy101

Quote from: Gary on Oct 03, 2011, 12:54:24
i have ran that and it has came back clean

woppy101

i have just caught another drop,there is nothing that i can see going on!
(my heating is off,my wife is sitting in the ipad,none of the street lights are on nothing was switched on or off in my house)

davej99

Whilst in the router:
I would monitor who's using the connection at  Maintenance > Attached devices.
Might also be a good idea to change wireless security at Setup > Wireless Settings > Security > Security Options > select anything but None & WEP.
Or turn of wireless and use a cable for now at Setup > Wireless Settings > Wireles Network > Uncheck Enable Wireless.
(Working from memory for DG834, so forgive me if  this is not quite right, but you get the idea).

You have probably done all this:
On disconnect problem, check correlation with use of phone and ensure no sky box connected. You are on a long line so think about aircraft beacons/ground radar, air and ground radio activity, radio amateurs, arc welders. All should be well out of BB  spectrum but strong, especially digital, comms can impact, eg mobile phone next to radio effect. Talk to others in the area  for similar problem. My guess is a flaky line. Griff is the expert there. Check quiet line test a good few times listening for crackle. Don't expect BT to be any use unless it's diss.

On noisy socket:
All power supplies are noisy, but not usually a problem. I have tried using extra ferrite suppressors, moving cables close and far and never found an impact. You will have a couple of ring mains or so,and lighting circuits in the house. They can be switched off in turn to eliminate appliances etc.

See still have latency issue. What is the activity?

Hang in there. You will fix it. Good luck, Dave.

Technical Ben

Quote from: .Griff. on Oct 03, 2011, 08:35:48
That TBBQM looks like very heavy p2p usage to me.

If you're not knowingly doing it then do as Gary suggests above. Un addition do you have wireless enabled? Can you be sure no one else is using your connection?

Could it be line congestion for the area? IE everyone else is heavy on the p2p. :P
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

davej99

This is a small local exchange, 600 or so lines. May be the VP or the uplink is congested.

jameshurrell

The TBB monitor graph looks much better now....in other words, it looks a lot more normal since the switch to the Netgear.