How much

Started by woppy101, Oct 02, 2011, 13:48:05

Previous topic - Next topic

woppy101

How much would it cost to upgrade an exchange to FTTC that hold 626 residential premises and
29 non-residential premises.

Steve

My guess is that it's too small for BT to consider FTTC.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

woppy101

What about if bt didn't have to pay,The only reason I ask is our green cabinet is 4km from the exchange and serves around half of the 600 lines(I'm on a army camp).the army would pay the majority of the cost to put FTTC so I'm trying to find out a ballpark price to go to the QM with

Technical Ben

An awful lot? Why, you offering to sponsor me to get FTTC?

From ElRegio
QuoteAs a result of the subsidy all 1,350 premises in Iwade, near Sittingbourne, will be offered theoretical maximum download speeds of up to 40Mbit/s from Autumn....

...In Iwade, the Parish Council's money helped pay to connect four street-side cabinets to the Sittingbourne exchange via fibre optics. The Parish Council provided £13,000 - about £10 per premises - for the work from a County Council grant, and BT provided the remaining £62,000.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/08/bt_iwade/

So. This is the maths moment. Got your thinking hat on? Well here we goooo....!
£13,000 from the Council plus £62000 from BT for 1,350 premises is around £55.56p per house hold. We will lump in business premises with residentials, as there is little difference. So, 655 properties costs 36,388.89p to install FTTC, before paying for each properties router/line/etc. Not too bad a price really. But for BT to install they would need the customers to make worth it. Perhaps 50 or so, I'm not sure on the overheads or profit margin they are aiming for.

Is FTTC just a change in cabinets, or exchange equipment too?
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Rik

Exchange and cabinets, Ben.
Rik
--------------------

.Griff.

In addition to however much it might cost you may need to apply for planning permission as well.

woppy101

Quote from: .Griff. on Oct 02, 2011, 16:34:42
In addition to however much it might cost you may need to apply for planning permission as well.
I woulndnt think any planning permission would be requred,the exchange backs onto the airfield and then the line comes across the airfield onto camp

Technical Ben

Which is probably why we are not all town planners, we don't expect these things. ;)

Simon

I thought all town planners did was to arrange simultaneous road works, in several parts of the town, so as to make things as difficult as possible for people.   :mad:
Simon.
--

woppy101

Quote from: Simon on Oct 02, 2011, 23:00:24
I thought all town planners did was to arrange simultaneous road works, in several parts of the town, so as to make things as difficult as possible for people.   :mad:

yes but only in the school holidays

Athena

Or on the day you need to get to that vitally important meeting, or because the sound of roadworks OUTSIDE YOUR BEDROOM WINDOW is considered theraputic on a Sunday. It turns out they do work on sundays, but only when they know they can annoy someone...

Glenn

Quote from: woppy101 on Oct 02, 2011, 13:48:05
How much would it cost to upgrade an exchange to FTTC that hold 626 residential premises and
29 non-residential premises.

This maybe of some use as a guide,  £500,000 from BT or £50,000 from Rutland for 80 homes http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-11166119
Glenn
--------------------

Technical Ben

The prices seem to vary wildly. But I guess the line length does too. So places like Rutland are extremely spread out. Towns and cities have much less digging to do. :P

woppy101

this is the route the bt line takes from the exchange the bt engineer did it for me (approx 3.9km to the green box)all trunking is underground our green box has 500 avalible lines only 350 are connected

red dot=exchange
black line =route of line

Edit: map removed, now at reply #31

Technical Ben

Is it wise to post that?  :eyebrow:  :whistle:

[edit]
Think we have discovered the problem. Disconnects happen when planes land?  :laugh:

woppy101

Quote from: Technical Ben on Oct 04, 2011, 20:42:37
Is it wise to post that?  :eyebrow:  :whistle:

[edit]
Think we have discovered the problem. Disconnects happen when planes land?  :laugh:

Lol yeah stupid planes it's every time they bump over the wires 

On a serious note why woulnt it be wise to post that?

Simon

Isn't it an army base?  Are there not rules about airiel images, even if I can't spell airiel?
Simon.
--

Steve

Well it's straightforward google map,viewable by any one with an internet connection.
Steve
------------

woppy101

Quote from: Simon on Oct 04, 2011, 20:57:29
Isn't it an army base?  Are there not rules about airiel images, even if I can't spell airiel?

No mate it's not area 51 lol( we use MLRS not hand held nukes ;D)

Simon

Simon.
--

.Griff.

RAF Ouston aka 39th Regiment Royal Artillery?

pctech

Quote from: .Griff. on Oct 04, 2011, 23:05:31

Oh he can't tell you that otherwise he'd have to kill you  ;D

woppy101

woppy101

Quote from: .Griff. on Oct 04, 2011, 23:05:31

yes mate

Technical Ben

Quote from: woppy101 on Oct 04, 2011, 20:47:47
Lol yeah stupid planes it's every time they bump over the wires 

On a serious note why woulnt it be wise to post that?
Not the photograph, but the overlay of the communications wires. I'm no expert, but would those in charge be happy that the world and his dog know how to cut comms/intercept comms?