BT has confirmed that a "power issue" at a major exchange in Birmingham

Started by Gary, Oct 03, 2011, 14:39:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

BT has confirmed that a "power issue" at a major exchange in Birmingham is causing problems for broadband customers across the UK.

Customers have reported problems from as far afield as Belfast, Edinburgh, Swansea and London.

Many users have taken to Twitter to complain that the company is not answering its helpline.

Nothing new there then  ::)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15154020
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

pctech

Wonder if that explains why my attenuation has suddenly shot up to 61db after years at around 57

Lance

Unlikely, as that is usually a measure based on the line from the exchange.

As for BT and their network, it's ridiculous that it relies and one point for so many users.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

.Griff.

I'm only up the road and I've no issues today at all (touch wood)

psp83

We lost our connection at work for 3 hours, it just came back up but its painfully slow at the moment :(

psp83

And it looks like things are not correct still, we've been given a total different IP address from our usual static IP address, so now we can't get passed some firewalls due to the IP not being allowed!  :rant2:

Inkblot

Quote from: psp83 on Oct 03, 2011, 15:20:27
And it looks like things are not correct still, we've been given a total different IP address from our usual static IP address, so now we can't get passed some firewalls due to the IP not being allowed!  :rant2:

Had this as a problem as well - rebooting the router (Sheesh, I hate saying that!) resolved it for us.

pctech

Quote from: Lance on Oct 03, 2011, 15:08:01
Unlikely, as that is usually a measure based on the line from the exchange.

As for BT and their network, it's ridiculous that it relies and one point for so many users.

Guess I'll have to go out and chase away those Openreach engineers that maybe fiddling with the cabinet up the road.

Rik

Reading the report, I got the impression it was only affecting BT customers, and probably business customers at that.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Rik

Rik
--------------------

cavillas

Quote from: Rik on Oct 03, 2011, 16:50:03
It certainly doesn't appear to be affecting IDNet.

SSHH!!!  They might be listening. :eek4:
------
Alf :)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

psp83

Quote from: Rik on Oct 03, 2011, 16:42:21
Reading the report, I got the impression it was only affecting BT customers, and probably business customers at that.

BT told us that it was affecting residential & business and at the time 30% of their customer base was having issues.

psp83

Quote from: Inkblot on Oct 03, 2011, 15:54:52
Had this as a problem as well - rebooting the router (Sheesh, I hate saying that!) resolved it for us.

Yeah, a reboot sorted it for us as well, we was given 109.151.14.205 as an IP address.

pctech

The reason rebooting works is because it breaks an existing session and creates a new one.