BT to Launch 300Mbps Broadband

Started by john, Oct 05, 2011, 12:51:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Somehow I don't think we'll see it outside of major conurbations, unless a BT director lives nearby. ;)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Glenn

QuoteThe service is only likely to be made available to a minority of people with others promised speed boosts of up to 80Mbps
Glenn
--------------------

Polchraine

I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

Niall

Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

cavillas

Wouldn't it be much better if BT rolled out FTTC across the Nation first and thus give lots more people the chance of a faster connection?  Or is that too much to expect from a company entrenched in the 19th century
------
Alf :)

pctech

FTTH is much better than VDSL2 Alf and should have been rolled out in preference to ADSL IMO.

Polchraine

Quote from: cavillas on Oct 06, 2011, 14:09:29
Wouldn't it be much better if BT rolled out FTTC across the Nation first and thus give lots more people the chance of a faster connection?  Or is that too much to expect from a company entrenched in the 19th century

No, because they are putting FTTP/H in place rather than FTTC where it can be achieved without significant roadworks/ducting &c.     It will then be fully consumer tested and ultimately rolled out to customers.

If they put FTTC across the whole county, FTTP would be three or four years later and would be replacing the FTTC just installed.   It would be illogical and not cost effective.

Technical Ben

Quote from: cavillas on Oct 06, 2011, 14:09:29
They just sliced their upgrade schedule in half. 6 exchanges instead of 12. :(

At this rate, we will get an upgrade of 1TB connections but to 2 people only.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

cavillas

BT are not capable of implementing the upgrades in a normla reasonable time to the greater number of peope.  The stick to theold tried and trusted ancient methods.  For a digital communication company they are stiill fixed in a copper wire voice line mind set so this country will not get the superfast network until about 2045, time to change the company I think.
------

john

Quote from: cavillas on Oct 06, 2011, 15:37:32
BT are not capable of implementing the upgrades in a normla reasonable time to the greater number of peope.  The stick to theold tried and trusted ancient methods.  For a digital communication company they are stiill fixed in a copper wire voice line mind set so this country will not get the superfast network until about 2045.....

But the BT proposal is to use fibre optics to the house and presumably replace the existing copper and if you want fibre sooner than BT can do it there's always Virgin.

Glenn

Virgin's system runs via coaxial cable from the cabinet, so much like BT's FTTC product.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html
Glenn
--------------------

Polchraine

Quote from: john on Oct 06, 2011, 19:46:47
But the BT proposal is to use fibre optics to the house and presumably replace the existing copper and if you want fibre sooner than BT can do it there's always Virgin.

Virgin do NOT provide FTTH either and have NO intention of doing so.

john

Sorry, I didn't make that clear. I'm aware that Virgin don't have FTTP/H.

cavillas

Quote from: john on Oct 06, 2011, 19:46:47

Only possible if you have Virgin cables laid and this area was completely ignored and still is >:(
------

pctech

But then you have to contend with Virgin's infamously bad customer service and traffic management.