how well thought of

Started by woppy101, Oct 07, 2011, 06:50:22

Previous topic - Next topic

woppy101

how well thought of is the DG834g v3,its the router that was connected at the start of my training period and its managed to hold my sync@ between 3448 and 3616kbps @ around 7 db,do you think any of my other routers will get me the 380kbps i need to get the 3.5mb throughput(after my training peroid ofcorse)my exchange uses the TI chipset

i have
2x bt2700hgv's
dg835gt
dgn2200
speedtouch 585v6

many thanks woppy

here are my router stats

Connection Rate:  3616   Kbps
Line Attenuation: 57     dB
Noise Margin:     7      dB

Max Rate:         3616   Kbps

Interleave CRC:   1389
Interleave FEC:   1998680
Interleave HEC:   0

Fast path CRC:    0
Fast path FEC:    0
Fast path HEC:    0

Superframes:      4843178

Uptime (from SF Count):
   0 days, 22:53:54

there is a big chunk of crc errors but a 1000 of them came in a really windy period yesterday

woppy101

Re-sync this morning upto 3776kbps

Glenn

When I had my ADSL line (on FTTC now) with an attn of 58 - 61db, my 2700v5 & v6 both performed better than the Speedtouch 585v6 by around 500kbps. Your Netgear seems to be holding the line well at the moment.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

woppy101

Quote from: Glenn on Oct 07, 2011, 09:26:28
When I had my ADSL line (on FTTC now) with an attn of 58 - 61db, my 2700v5 & v6 both performed better than the Speedtouch 585v6 by around 500kbps. Your Netgear seems to be holding the line well at the moment.
i aint touching it till next friday,but have heard good things about the speedtouch holding a more stable snr(by any chance was the 2700 58db attn and the 585 61db attn).if you dont mind me asking what speed did you have before FFTC im hoping to get to 4mb,but im not sure if thats going to be just out of reach because my initial sync was 4034 with fast path on now im interleaved..

Glenn

The snr on my line varied with the time of year, it was lowest in the summer months rising into the winter months. From memory, I think the highest connection speed I got was around 3200kbps, so you line is performing better than mine did, already.
Glenn
--------------------

jameshurrell

On my 55db line, I manage around 3600 on a DG834v4 (SNR 6db), interleaved.

I'd be happy with what you are managing on that 57db line, so I'd be inclined to leave it alone and enjoy what you have. You might be able to squeeze a few extra Kbps from a different router (probably the 2700) but who knows if it will stay that way...

Tacitus

Quote from: jameshurrell on Oct 07, 2011, 12:07:58
I'd be happy with what you are managing on that 57db line, so I'd be inclined to leave it alone and enjoy what you have. You might be able to squeeze a few extra Kbps from a different router (probably the 2700) but who knows if it will stay that way...

I'm on a 57dB line and even after BT have recently done some patch and mend on the local cables, I'm struggling to get much above 2000 even with a 2700.  My own inclination would be to rejoice at my good fortune and leave well alone......      :)

woppy101

just my luck,i had to tempt fate and had a downward re-sync    :(
still not too bad though

Connection Rate:  3488   Kbps
Line Attenuation: 56     dB
Noise Margin:     9      dB

Max Rate:         3488   Kbps

Interleave CRC:   3
Interleave FEC:   3617

Superframes:      293195

this line that the engineer had found seams to be quite good (touching wood....)

jameshurrell

Which reinforces what I said - I'll say no more  :-X

woppy101

Quote from: jameshurrell on Oct 07, 2011, 13:15:48
Which reinforces what I said - I'll say no more  :-X
I didn't change the router(what I ment by tempting fate was mentioning the stats and how good it was going before the training period had finished)

jezuk1

QuoteThe snr on my line varied with the time of year, it was lowest in the summer months rising into the winter months. From memory, I think the highest connection speed I got was around 3200kbps, so you line is performing better than mine did, already.

This is interesting. Perhaps cosmic radiation has a greater effect during the summer months (the sun penetrates the atmosphere on average at a less oblique angle and has more direct exposure per 24 hour period) BUT people tend to be indoors more during the winter (increased crosstalk?). Perhaps such external factors during the summer months have a greater influence upon general noise levels.

woppy101 - you could consider looking into a router that can override the SNR margin value. I have a Billion 7800N which can do this. Other Broadcom based routers might be able to do it too. Have a look into it perhaps.

woppy101

well i thought i would give my 2700hgv a try it synced @3800 then with in an hour droped to 3000 so i thing the dg834g v3 is the one from my line

Rik

Could be the chipset matches the DSLAM, that often helps.
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Oct 10, 2011, 07:19:58
Could be the chipset matches the DSLAM, that often helps.

But what would you do when it's an Alcatel DSLAM?  Don't know of any modems that use Alcatel chips  :)

CatMangler

Excuse me for butting in, but how do you find out what chip set your exchange is using?

I don't remember it being mentioned on samknows and other sites.

Lance

The 2700 reports it (under DSL diagnositics I think). Other routers can display it too.
Lance
_____

jezuk1

This page is useful:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_explanation.htm
Vendor IDs are in the table towards the bottom of the page.

For example:
> adsl info --vendor
ChipSet Vendor Id:      TSTC:0x0510
ChipSet VersionNumber:  0x0510

So according to the website linked above the DSLAM i'm connected to has a Texas Instruments chipset (also known to be used in Marconi, Ericson, Huawei products)

Rik

Quote from: Tacitus on Oct 10, 2011, 09:30:22
But what would you do when it's an Alcatel DSLAM?  Don't know of any modems that use Alcatel chips  :)

Pray, Tac. ;D
Rik
--------------------

CatMangler

Quote from: jezuk1 on Oct 10, 2011, 11:02:36

For example:
> adsl info --vendor
ChipSet Vendor Id:      TSTC:0x0510
ChipSet VersionNumber:  0x0510

So according to the website linked above the DSLAM i'm connected to has a Texas Instruments chipset (also known to be used in Marconi, Ericson, Huawei products)

Seems I'm on the same:

ChipSet Vendor Id:      TSTC:0x 400

Interesting, I guess I'd have to try either my Belkin or my Draytek routers to see if there is any significant difference between them.

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Oct 10, 2011, 12:05:42
Pray, Tac. ;D

Good idea Rik, but who to?

Basically I think you end up with a shed full of (mostly useless) modems  :)  The 2700 does seem to work OK though.

woppy101

Quote from: CatMangler on Oct 10, 2011, 12:36:17
Seems I'm on the same:

ChipSet Vendor Id:      TSTC:0x 400

Interesting, I guess I'd have to try either my Belkin or my Draytek routers to see if there is any significant difference between them.
i got a dg834g v3 of the net for £15 which sees to be doing wonders for me the speed has droped in the last few days(but i put that down trying the 2700hgv)

here are my current stats

Connection Rate:  3488   Kbps
Line Attenuation: 57     dB
Noise Margin:     7      dB

Max Rate:         3488   Kbps

Interleave CRC:   109
Interleave FEC:   228683

Superframes:      1370642

Uptime (from SF Count):
   0 days, 06:32:30

Upstream (Tx):
  Good Cells: 5087234
  Idle Cells: 19796429

Downstream (Rx):
  Good Cells: 6480956
  Idle Cells: 187255759
  Bad HEC Cells: 249
  Overflow Dropped: 0

Bytes Transferred (ppp0):
  Tx: 258381888 (246.4 Mb)
  Rx: 476189384 (454.1 Mb)

Tacitus

Quote from: woppy101 on Oct 10, 2011, 16:15:05
i got a dg834g v3 of the net for £15 which sees to be doing wonders for me the speed has droped in the last few days(but i put that down trying the 2700hgv)

I've a feeling the 834V3 used a TI chipset which might explain why you're getting good results.  Most (not all) of the current Zyxel stuff uses a TI AR7, which you might find also gives good results in your situation.

Steve

Yes Tac the DG834 v3 uses the AR7 chipset and indeed got some bad press because of that a few years ago although I'm not sure the case was ever proven.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3257-dsl-modem-chipset-issue-comes-to-the-fore.html
Steve
------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Steve on Oct 10, 2011, 16:33:34
Yes Tac the DG834 v3 uses the AR7 chipset and indeed got some bad press because of that a few years ago although I'm not sure the case was ever proven.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3257-dsl-modem-chipset-issue-comes-to-the-fore.html

Thanks for the confirmation Steve, I thought that was the case.

I remember the fuss about the AR7 some two or three years ago.  As you say I don't think anything was ever proved, the problems seeming to occur in a very specific and limited set of circumstances which most people were unlikely to encounter.  Zyxel have been using AR7s for a while and, given they sell a lot into SMEs, I imagine they'd have jumped ship if there were consistent problems.