IOS5

Started by Steve, Oct 12, 2011, 18:34:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

The iPhone was fine no issue at all. The iPad didn't entirely play fair but that was easily resolved from backup.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

Ah well, least when I buy a new iPhone it will be preinstalled.

pctech

Looks like there's such a demand for iOS 5 the iCloud can't keep up

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10/12/apple_ios_update_woes/

.Griff.

I don't own an iPhone so I've no idea if this is true but I read something this morning that said if you had iCloud enabled every photo you took with the device was automatically uploaded and you had no ability to delete it at all.

If that's true I can see a lot of people having somewhat embarrassing photos online with no way of deleting them.

Steve

I agree on the iPhone if photo stream is enabled upload is automatic there are other options for photo stream on the Mac where manual control options are allowed but with automatic you have to be very careful :eek4:
Steve
------------

Simon

I haven't enabled iCloud.
Simon.
--

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Oct 13, 2011, 09:25:09

Where they not backed up Gary?

Yes they were Steve, but the backup got deleted, I have no idea what happened I had that error message everyone seemed to get, then it 'restored' iOS5  :dunno: all my events were kept but my camera roll vanished  :sigh: Managed a full backup over wifi last night...3hours over my slow adsl max line. iCloud can cause duplicates in calender as well  :shake: to many updates to quickly, oh and iPhoto got an update as well but if you are brave enough to use photo stream it seems to crash according to the forums. Saying that Lion 10.7.2 is much better.  ::)
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Gary

Quote from: .Griff. on Oct 13, 2011, 11:16:15
I don't own an iPhone so I've no idea if this is true but I read something this morning that said if you had iCloud enabled every photo you took with the device was automatically uploaded and you had no ability to delete it at all.

If that's true I can see a lot of people having somewhat embarrassing photos online with no way of deleting them.
Photo steam is not enabled by default for that very reason.

Gary

Quote from: Simon on Oct 13, 2011, 11:31:56
I haven't enabled iCloud.
I have logging in to the iCloud web page and grabbing information, emails etc from any location is very handy, so is find your iphone and the ability to remote lock/wipe it if you need to.

Steve

Not tried back up to iCloud yet I think I'll wait for the dust to settle. The transition from Mobile Me to iCloud seems to have gone OK for two accounts , time will tell.
Steve
------------

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Oct 13, 2011, 11:37:21
Not tried back up to iCloud yet I think I'll wait for the dust to settle. The transition from Mobile Me to iCloud seems to have gone OK for two accounts , time will tell.
I had to plug mine in last night after all the fuss Steve and it did it automatically  :) it only updates once a day when you are plugged in, the screen is locked and you are on wifi.

Simon

Yes, my calendar was a bit of a state after the upgrade.  It added times to all my repeating all day events, and I also had some duplicate entries.  Luckily, I'd taken a backup of the Outlook calendar before the upgrade. 

Here's a related question - when you get an alert during a sync that the iPhone is about to change calendar entries on the PC, there seems no way to see what it's changing, so you either have to go ahead, or cancel the sync.  Next time, you just get the same alert again.  Is there any way round this?  Also, does the reminder app sync with Outlook tasks?
Simon.
--

Steve

Sorry Simon I don't use Outlook on the Mac
Steve
------------

Gary

Nor do I Simon, I just use Mail and iCal. If you have clashes on the Mac it warns you in iCal and you can choose what to sync.

Niall

I quite like this update so far. Email seems better for a start, pulling in my hotmail account automatically, although I'm not sure how! There's a few simple things I like too, but my break just finished so I'm off!

Another dentist trip I the bag, so hopefully no more unwanted bills for the rest of the year!
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

psp83

What I did was do a manual backup before downloading iOS5. Then I updated to iOS5. It did its stuff. I lost apps etc.

But once everything was finished I pressed shift + restore and restored from the backup I took just before the update & everything was back to normal.

;D