House move - new set up

Started by annc, Oct 26, 2011, 22:06:05

Previous topic - Next topic

annc

Could someone give an idea of what the problem is.  Move to new house and set up new connection with IDNET (was with them before).  One laptop can connect to the internet, but the other just asks for a cable connection.  The password remains the same so why won't it connect wirelessly?  Phoned support who said they would phone back, but haven't done so so a bit stuck.

Steve

Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

Simon.
--

Steve

I've made that mistake before knocked the switch on the outside of the case.
Steve
------------

Lance

You're not alone, Steve.

It's certainly an issue with the machine and not the connection.
Lance
_____

annc

Wi Fi is switched on - as I said, one laptop connects effortlessly and the other just won't.  Still no phone back from technical support following a phone call to them at 8.00pm last night - thought there was now 24/7 technical support?  ???

Simon

It sounds like a problem with the machine or the home setup, not with the connection from IDNet.  They probably have to prioritise. 
Simon.
--

Simon

Oh, and just to clarify, is this now your own connection, or your daughter's?
Simon.
--

Lance

Indeed. I'm not sure what IDNet support will be able to do given that the connection is fine. They can't be expected to give technical support for user's machines.
Lance
_____

Rik

And out of hours support remains for emergencies and basic checks.
Rik
--------------------

annc

Have been told problem is with router DG834 (supplied by IDNET 18 months ago).  Keeps dropping - red light displayed - needs rebooting continuously. Don't know if really the router or line problem. Anyone recommend a decent reliable router?  (PS - out of hours support contacted 3 times now - never return calls - such a pity)

Lance

Quote from: annc on Nov 04, 2011, 09:09:23
  (PS - out of hours support contacted 3 times now - never return calls - such a pity)

I know support would be interested in that feedback on the out of hours service. They would probably appreciate a email to support [at] idnet [dot] com with it.

I've got a netgear DGN2200 which has never given me any grief.
Lance
_____

Rik

Quote from: annc on Nov 04, 2011, 09:09:23
(PS - out of hours support contacted 3 times now - never return calls - such a pity)

Did you not get to speak to someone, Ann? There would be no return call for a wireless issue, it's not an emergency and not something that IDNet would normally troubleshoot.
Rik
--------------------

annc

Thank you Rik - what do IDNET troubleshoot?  Surely I need to know whether it is a line problem, router problem or whatever else - how can I do this without speaking to support?  This is not just a networking problem (although I admit initially it was thought to be) - router (that they supplied) keeps dropping out, router or line?  Like every other ISP I have dealt with, you have to initially go round in ever decreasing circles to prove that it isn't you or your equipment before they will do anything.  So now having to buy new router.  If this also drops out at least that can be crossed off the list.  Just want to ensure that when I buy new router it is reliable and easy to set up, any suggestions?

Rik

It's not a line problem, Ann, as you have a connection. I don't know whether that's wired or wireless, but if the latter, the problem lays with the machine that won't connect. Have you tried a wired connection.

What do IDNet troubleshoot? Problems with the delivery of the service to the router - anything the 'other' side of the router is  not their responsibility, though they may help diagnose a problem if they can, including, on occasions, lending a test router.

What has changed to make you think it's not a networking problem, as originally described? What do you mean by dropping out?

The reason you have to go round in circles is to avoid getting charged by BT for a fault on your side of the test socket.

What are your current router stats - your line characteristics will influence which router is best for you.
Rik
--------------------

davej99

Router is described as DG834, which is not the wireless version, that would be DG834G. I believe loss/no sync shows as an amber light on both types. Either way it seems logical to test both PC's connections with an ethernet cable. That is the first thing any ISP would ask one to test. If one PC fails then that has to be a PC level problem, assuming DHCP is working, I guess.

If both PCs connect over ethernet cable, but only one over wireless, a router problem seems unlikely. Then it has to be established if both PC connected OK previously. In other words has the problem PC ever connected wirelessly to this router. If not it needs to be set up. Either way it is a good idea to first detect the router by name using the wireless connection manager, then select the router and if it has not connected before, enter the appropriate key. Bear in mind if the routers is commonly named DG834 there can be more than one in a busy area.

A friend of mine often gets a similar problem, sometimes after his BB connection hiccups, or sometimes after connecting elsewhere. At home he gets prompted to set up a cable network connection and this causes confusion. Usually rebooting the router then remaking the wireless connection as described above fixes the problem. He uses Sky and they usually help him with their router, but he knows to test with an ethernet cable first and he is gentle with tech support, who are not obliged to fix PC problems.

Hope this helps. Forgive me if I am stating the obvious or if it has been said before.

annc

Thank you for that Dave.  Both laptops connected fine to this particular router (sorry you are right - it is a DG834G) prior to house move.  Both connect wirelessly to the router now, but only temporarily, the router then 'goes down' green light off - red/orange light on - need to reboot and all fine again.  This happens very very frequently.  Will be getting new router and trying that.  If the same happens then I would suspect it could be a problem with the new line?

At first it was thought it was a problem with just one laptop - but they had been tried at different times.  Doesn't now seem to be a PC problem but a router/line problem.  Annoying if it is the router as it was bought from IDNET only 18 months ago.

davej99

Glad you are making progress. The fact the router needs a reboot may indicate a problem with it.  A line problem would probably just cause loss of sync and than re-sync. Firmware is a possibility. If I remember correctly the latter Netgear routers have a facility for users to routinely update the firmware. You will need to read the manual, because I am a bit rusty here, but I think if you log on at http://192.168.0.1 you might find an Upgrade Router page, or some such, and this will lead you to the facility to check for upgrades and install the latest firmware. Worth a try before shelling out, either that or chance a claim on your house removals insurance.