Steve Jobs TV programme

Started by Najarak, Nov 02, 2011, 17:23:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Najarak

In case anybody hasn't noticed, there is a programme on Channel 4 at 11:05 tonight about Jobs "iChanged the World"

QuoteThe story of the extraordinary life of one of America's most successful innovators and entrepreneurs: from college drop-out to one of the wealthiest men in the world.

Through interviews with the people who Steve Jobs knew and who worked closely with him over the years, Steve Jobs: iChanged the World takes an unflinching look at his difficult, controlling reputation, and offers a unique insight into what made him tick.

In a never-before-broadcast, rare interview, Steve Jobs expounds his own philosophy of life, and offers advice to us all on changing our own lives to achieve our ambitions, our desires and our dreams. Steve looked back over his astonishing career and explained the principles on which he built his success.

See http://www.channel4.com/programmes/steve-jobs-ichanged-the-world/episode-guide/series-1/episode-1
Steve

Simon

That will be interesting, and I hadn't noticed.  Thanks.  :karma:
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Steve

Thanks :thumb: iBetter record it, it's past iBedtime :whistle:
Steve
------------

Rik

It's just right for my iNsomnia time. ;D
Rik
--------------------

Bill

I was hoping for an early night too, so the PVR is set in case I manage to get it! :eek4:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

pctech

Niall

Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

pctech

Watched it and confirmed what I always thought.

He was a self important idiot who litereally used and abused people.

It also convinced me a lot of the Apple diehards are the same, a good example of this was when Bill Gates sunk $150 million to save the company which was dying on its ass and was introduced as an investor via a live video link.

The audience didn't have the good grace to stay silent and they booed loudly, that says everything as far as I am concerned.

Gates has used his wealth to help others, Jobs never did.

IMO Gates is worth 10 of Steve Jobs.

Tacitus

Quote from: pctech on Nov 03, 2011, 09:26:02
Watched it and confirmed what I always thought.

Always good to be objective....

Quote from: pctech on Nov 03, 2011, 09:26:02
Gates has used his wealth to help others......

And makes sure he issues a bunch of press releases when he does it, just in case you don't notice.

As human beings, I don't rate either of them highly.  Like most who've achieved much in life they are/were flawed personalities,  although Gates does do better PR.

pctech

Quote from: Tacitus on Nov 03, 2011, 10:18:30
Always good to be objective....

Most Apple users do seem to think they are holier than thou

Quote from: Tacitus on Nov 03, 2011, 10:18:30
And makes sure he issues a bunch of press releases when he does it, just in case you don't notice.

As human beings, I don't rate either of them highly.  Like most who've achieved much in life they are/were flawed personalities,  although Gates does do better PR.

'tis true but doing it is better than doing nothing and at least he and Warren Buffett had the thought to do it.

Rik

Quote from: pctech on Nov 03, 2011, 10:22:27
Most Apple users do seem to think they are holier than thou

They're enthusiastic about the brand, Mitch, but I wouldn't define them as holier than thou. If enthusiasm can be described thus, then many 'Netters are holier than thou when it comes to IDNet.
Rik
--------------------

.Griff.

I have to agree with Mitch. I've plenty of friends who are enthusiastic about Linux or AMD or Intel but almost without fail all the Apple users I've met aren't enthusiastic they're bordering on arrogant and looks down their noses at you of you don't share their opinion on Apple.

I'm not saying they're all like that but those that were almost had this cult mentality about them.

pctech

I'm definitely not saying all Apple users are like that but a good proportion are.

I am loyal to the companies I buy services from such as O2 for mobile phone service, Zen for internet, Netcetera for mail hosting because they provide excellent service at a price I'm happy with but that's not to say other companies aren't as good and I certainly don't look down my nose at peeople that use other companies.

BTW I'm likely to be moving my main line back to IDNet next September when my contract expires as the move to BT has proven to be a bit of a false economy.

Simon

But IDNet use Macs, Mitch.  Surely you wouldn't sully yourself by association?  ::)
Simon.
--

pctech

TBH Simon, I use whatever piece of kit does whatever job best, I don't really care all that much and the people at IDNet seem to be a cracking bunch.

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Nov 03, 2011, 10:35:32
They're enthusiastic about the brand, Mitch, but I wouldn't define them as holier than thou. If enthusiasm can be described thus, then many 'Netters are holier than thou when it comes to IDNet.

I think that's about right Rik.  In my experience it's not that most Apple users are holier than thou, it's that a lot of PC users think Apple users think they're holier than thou and then start baiting them.  For whatever reason they made a different choice that's all.  For me it was nothing to do with posing in Starbucks and everything to do with Apple stuff giving me infinitely less aggro than PCs, although to be fair Windows 8 may prove to be very good.

I don't frequent PC sites but I'd be interested to know if Apple fans turn up in droves to tell the PC brigade they're a bunch of plonkers  :)  No doubt some do, but I'd be surprised if there were large numbers of them.

Simon

For people who just want it to work, Apple can't be beaten.  People who want to tinker should stick to Windows, IMO. 
Simon.
--

pctech

But it doesn't always just work Simon, that particular drum has a gaping hole in it.

Rik

Quote from: Simon on Nov 03, 2011, 11:50:41
For people who just want it to work, Apple can't be beaten.  People who want to tinker should stick to Windows, IMO. 

Or Linux.  :evil:
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Steve

I've not seen the program so my comments are unqualified I am however a Mac user after many years a Windows user.  Yet again we witness the same oft repeated anti Apple diatribe from one individual which in my opinion makes his comments on the program of little or no value.
Steve
------------

Lance

Quote from: pctech on Nov 03, 2011, 11:57:06
But it doesn't always just work Simon,

You'll note that Simon didn't say always. Anybody would be very foolish to say any slightly complex bit of computer equipment would 'always' just work. The point Simon was making is that for the majority of standard users, Apple equipment works out the box without requiring tinkering to get it to play nicely. This isn't saying that standard users can't just use Windows/Android out the box, but I think its fair to say that these both require more work to get them working optimally for the user.
Lance
_____

Lance

Quote from: Steve on Nov 03, 2011, 12:35:16
I've not seen the program so my comments are unqualified I am however a Mac user after many years a Windows user.  Yet again we witness the same oft repeated anti Apple diatribe from one individual which in my opinion makes his comments on the program of little or no value.

But Steve, he has said he is getting an iphone (note the use of 'when', not 'if')!

Quote from: pctech on Oct 13, 2011, 10:02:42
Ah well, least when I buy a new iPhone it will be preinstalled.
Lance
_____

Rik

Quote from: Lance on Nov 03, 2011, 12:36:48
You'll note that Simon didn't say always. Anybody would be very foolish to say any slightly complex bit of computer equipment would 'always' just work. The point Simon was making is that for the majority of standard users, Apple equipment works out the box without requiring tinkering to get it to play nicely. This isn't saying that standard users can't just use Windows/Android out the box, but I think its fair to say that these both require more work to get them working optimally for the user.

I don't have an iPhone - any smartphone really wouldn't make much sense for me - but I did choose to go with an iPod when I wanted an MP3 player. Partly, my decision was based on design, partly on features and partly on 3rd-party support, eg docking stations. The iPod works the way I want it to, and I don't regret the decision. To me, forget about brands, look at what will work best for you. The rest is just marketing hype.
Rik
--------------------