iPod Touch versus iPod Classic

Started by Rik, Nov 11, 2011, 12:56:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

For someone who just wants an MP3 player, is there any advantage in going for the Touch over the Classic? The only facility I think I'd occasionally use is web browsing, but I stand to be corrected. :)

Thanks. :)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

I've not used either, but I think you might also be able to send texts via iMessage with the Touch (only to other iDevice users).  From what I can gather, it's an iPhone without the phone. 
Simon.
--

Rik

You have summarised it perfectly. You can also shoot HD movies, but the stills facility is not too hot from what I've read. As I don't do IM, it's a question of whether I would make use of the browsing.
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Tbh, if you're thinking of an iPod Touch, wouldn't it be worth considering going the whole hog and getting an iPhone?  That said, I think you'd probably be talking about almost doubling the price. 
Simon.
--

Steve

As Simon stated the Touch uses IOS 5 so for a full explanation the Apple web site is worth a look. The iPod wins hands down for capacity.
Steve
------------

Rik

The 160GB Classic, you mean, Steve?

Given what I've said in the past about smartphones and tablets, the Classic is the way I'm leaning, but I just wondered if I was missing anything.
Rik
--------------------

Simon

How does iMessaging work, Steve?  Does it come with a special 'phone' number?  :dunno:
Simon.
--

Lance

I think it uses your apple ID (that you use to log into the Apple Store/ iCloud etc).
Lance
_____

Steve

The iCloud ID identifies the user this is associated with the mobile number currently logged in with.
Steve
------------

lozcart

Quote from: Simon on Nov 11, 2011, 13:14:34
How does iMessaging work, Steve?  Does it come with a special 'phone' number?  :dunno:

On wifi only devices it uses your Apple ID email address.

Simon

Thanks guys, that makes sense.  I don't use iCloud.
Simon.
--

lozcart

You don't have to be a member of iCloud Simon, you can use the same Apple ID and password you use for iTunes. Once you have entered these account details you can add additional email address which will get verified to your account. Its the same setup method as FaceTime.

Steve

Sorry my apologies I thought the iMessage servers where part of the iCloud system but any ways there's an Apple server that brokers the iMessage service.
Steve
------------

Simon

Yes, I knew I could use it without iCloud, as Steve and I have messaged each other using iMessage.  I was just curious as to how it worked on a device that didn't have a phone number.  :) 
Simon.
--