iTunes WiFi sync issue

Started by Simon, Nov 16, 2011, 21:58:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

I'm trying to get my iPhone 4S to sync with iTunes over WiFi.  The instructions seem quite simple:

Quote1. Connect your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to your computer.

2. In iTunes, select your device (below Devices), and then click Summary.

3. Select "Sync with this iOS device over Wi-Fi."

4. Disconnect your device from your computer.

After you disconnect, your device continues to appear in the iTunes window (below Devices), unless you click the Eject button . If you click the Eject button, your device is removed from the iTunes window, but Wi-Fi syncing remains turned on. Your device reappears in the iTunes window the next time you open iTunes.

I've done this, but my device does not continue to appear in the iTunes window when I disconnect it from the computer.  I know the phone is connected to my WiFi, as I use it all the time for the web, and emails, etc, so that can't be the problem.  What could I be doing wrong? 
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

psp83

Have you tried closing iTunes and then re opening?

iTunes should pick your phone up after a few secs..

Also try going into Settings > General > iTunes Wi-Fi Sync and syncing your phone over wifi when iTunes is open.

Simon

No luck with that, Paul.  For the first time, though, going into Settings > General > iTunes Wi-Fi Sync, allowed me to 'Sync Now', rather than the button being greyed out, but nothing happened, and it didn't appear in iTunes.  That, however, was when not connected to a power supply.  I then connected to a power supply, tried Settings > General > iTunes Wi-Fi Sync again, but the 'Sync Now' button is greyed out once more, and won't do anything.
Simon.
--

psp83

Try rebooting the iPhone & PC ?

Also in iTunes, I have "Share my library on my local network" ticked.. I know I had to tick this to get the remote iPhone app to work with iTunes so I don't know if helps Wi-Fi syncing.. Worth a try though.. iTunes > Edit > Preferences > Sharing.

Simon

Tried rebooting, and ticking the "Share my library on my local network" box, but still the phone disappears from iTunes as soon as I disconnect it from the computer.  Actually, the "Sync with this iOS device over Wi-Fi" box was ticked all along, and it's never worked, so I tried unticking and reticking, but still no luck.
Simon.
--

Lance

Try resetting the iPhone by holding down the home and power buttons until the phone restarts. It doesn't lose any settings or programmes.

I had to do this at the weekend to resolve an issue with the 'music' controls either on the lock screen or from a headphones remote not working.
Lance
_____

Simon

I'll try that, Lance, but the thing is, this has never worked, not even on the 3GS with iOS5, so I suspect it's not an issue with the phone.  Does it need to be connected to a proper iPhone power adapter?  I'm trying it plugged into an iPod dock, which also charges, so it's definitely powered.  The key seems to be that it's not staying in iTunes when disconnecting from the computer.
Simon.
--

Lance

I wonder if iTunes is a little messed up? Mine is quite happy to sync when in my B&W Zeppelin dock.
Lance
_____

Simon

iTunes is a little messed up, because, when I add artwork, using the Get Info window, it doesn't appear in the window, but does on the phone.  Is there a repair option, or, if I uninstall and reinstall, will it retain all of my files and settings?
Simon.
--

Steve

Here's Apple support suggestions,doesn't really say anymore although perhaps worth disabling any security software just in case that's blocking it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4062

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3125

With regard Album art I'm still using this http://www.blisshq.com/index3.html to find and embed, seems to do the job for me. I've have the odd issue displaying artwork which I know is there, I solve that by clicking on an individual song >get info , click on artwork and then ok. This seems to allow it to display in the album field.
Steve
------------

psp83

That was my next suggestion.. Check to see if windows firewall was enabled and not blocking it.

In my firewall the following is allowed :

Bonjour Port 5353
Bonjour Service
iTunes

Steve

I did wonder whether the ability or inability to 'see' the shared library on the iPhone would check for any security/firewall problems.
Steve
------------

Steve

Your not alone on Windows.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3377367?start=15&tstart=0

"I had this issue of not syncing over wi-fi & i have fixed this. Below were my devices,
1. Windows XP Laptop
2.ipad 2 with ios5.

Below are the steps to ensure wi-fi sync works.

1. Connect your iPhone/iPad with USB cable to Computer where itunes installed.
2. Click on the "device" icon in itunes, & in "Summary" Page, ensure you have enabled the option "Sync Over Wifi My Ipad / iphone"
3. Disconnect the Cable,

You should be still able to see your ipad in itunes, if not, follow the below steps

4. Enable Upnp in your computer.
5. This link, will tell you, how to enable upnp in windows machine. --> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941206
6. Restart your Computer
7. Ensure SSDP service is running in Automatic mode.
8. You should also ensure upnp is supported in your ADSL or Wi-Fi router.
9. IN your router, under LAN settings (Advanced), there will be option of Upnp, enable this. Even if it is enabled, disable & enable it. Restart the router once.
9a. The Upnp & SSDP would take 10 minutes to discover the device. Have Patience at times .
Open iTunes & Power on your ipad, you should be able to see the ipad in itunes now. if not,

10. Close your itunes & power off ipad.
11. Restart the service called "Apple Mobile Device",

Open iTunes & Power on your ipad, you should be able to see the ipad in itunes now, if not.

12. Disable Firewall & IPS in your Network Connections. Disable built-in Firewall & IPS in Virus Softwares. Ensure TCP ports 123 and 3689, as well as UDP ports 123 and 5353 are allowed. Refer to this link for more inputs --> http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4062.

13. Close your itunes & power off ipad.
14. Restart the service called "Apple Mobile Device",

Open iTunes & Power on your ipad.

This should be working now for sure shot. . I bet."

That's one long winded possible solution.
Steve
------------

Simon

Bloody hell!  Is it worth it, I wonder?  I did wonder if the router might be blocking it, but as the phone connects fine, I assumed it would be OK.  I guess I could manually allow it and see if that makes a difference. 
Simon.
--

Steve

Certainly any devices/services that rely on UPNP are not always immediately available.
Steve
------------

Simon

Not sure I can remember how to do it on the 2700.  I'm sure all will become clear when I look at it. 
Simon.
--

Lance

The 2700 doesn't have UPNP but I think its more likely the firewall on the PC - might just be worth temporarily disabling it.
Lance
_____

Steve

As Lance said You can't use UPNP on the 2700, so whether you have to port forward to get this to work I don't know. Perhaps some 2700 users can tell us whether they've had any issues with iTunes and 'home sharing' of music libraries or iPhone WiFi sync.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/BT/BT2700HGV/iTunes.htm
Steve
------------

Simon

I don't use Windows Firewall, but I guess the F-Secure one might need a permission.  It's usually pretty good, though, at automatically whitelisting, and I wouldn't have thought iTunes would be seen as a potential threat.  It hasn't produced a permission popup either, which is the usual thing it does when unsure. 
Simon.
--

Simon

In fact, if iTunes was being blocked, I wouldn't be able to access the Store through it, would I?  Or is that different?
Simon.
--

Simon

Steve, you mentioned Home Sharing.  Does that need to be switched on in iTunes?  I tried it with and without, and it still didn't sync either way. 
Simon.
--

Steve

Home Sharing is just another local network activity where the iTunes PC needs to be able to find the iPhone or vice versa. I use it occasionally at home as I can play anything from my main music library on the iPhone whereas the music copied to the iPhone is fairly selective.
Steve
------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Steve

I use it more on the laptops as it saves wasting HDD space on replicating music.
Steve
------------

Steve

You got me trying to get this work :rant2:  Finally realised that I was connected to one of the neighbours OpenZone after trying that last night after reading the WiFi thread. Silly b*gger . It did work after that stupid mistake.
Steve
------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Simon

I've just switched the PC on to try again, and my Firewall flagged Bonjour as wanting to connect.  I've allowed it, but it hasn't cured the problem.

Sod it. 
Simon.
--

Simon

Simon.
--

Ray

That seems to confirm what I've found with my Ipod, Simon the Wi Fi synch won't work with Win 7, I got that peed of with it that decided to try installing Itunes on my WHS server as a trial. Strangely it actually works from that I can actually synch the Ipod via Wi Fi!!  :dunno:
Ray
--------------------

Simon

I'm on XP, Ray.  I'm wondering if it's a router issue.  Maybe it just won't work with the 2700?  I don't actually have a different brand of router to try at the moment, as my spare DG834G went on 'loan' to a friend some months ago.  ::)
Simon.
--

Steve

There's some reference here in the first post to firewall ports that should be open, although there's multiple threads and a variety of solutions i.e. non guaranteed to work.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3374306?start=105&tstart=0

It does seem that on the Windows firewall that these ports need to be opened.

open TCP ports 123 and 3689, as well as UDP ports 123 and 5353.

This is taken from the support document I posted earlier http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4062

Typical Apple TCP and UDP ports - http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1629
Steve
------------

lozcart

Quote from: Simon on Nov 17, 2011, 17:40:53
I'm on XP, Ray.  I'm wondering if it's a router issue.  Maybe it just won't work with the 2700?  I don't actually have a different brand of router to try at the moment, as my spare DG834G went on 'loan' to a friend some months ago.  ::)

I'm using a 2700 with my iMac and can confirm it works fine without changing any router settings.

Steve

Steve
------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Steve

At least we've ruled out one possible cause. My guess is the Windows or 3rd party firewalls.
Steve
------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Steve

Steve
------------

psp83

Quote from: Ray on Nov 17, 2011, 17:32:36
Simon the Wi Fi synch won't work with Win 7.....

Not true.. I run Windows 7 64bit and mine works.

Ray

Quote from: psp83 on Nov 17, 2011, 18:52:02
Not true.. I run Windows 7 64bit and mine works.

Are you running a third party Firewall or just the Standards Windows one, Paul, I tend to agree with Steve that the problem is being caused by 3rd party Firewalls. Born out by the fact that it works on my WHS 2011 which only has the standard Windows Firewall on it but I'm using a third party one on Windows 7 64 bit MC.
Ray
--------------------

Simon

But I've looked at the third party firewall settings, and everything related to iTunes is being allowed.  I have asked on the F-Secure forums, though, to see if they can come up with anything.   
Simon.
--

Steve

In that case Simon "home sharing' should work for that PC iTunes Music library?
Steve
------------

Simon

I did turn it on earlier, but it didn't change anything.  I'll see if it will work with the laptop later. 
Simon.
--

Ray

It appears that it isn't only F - Secure though, Simon, it seems to involve other Firewalls as well, I use Norton on all my W 7 MCs. and everything Itunes related is set to be allowed.
Ray
--------------------

Steve

Quote from: Simon on Nov 17, 2011, 19:22:16
I did turn it on earlier, but it didn't change anything.  I'll see if it will work with the laptop later. 

It takes a couple of minutes to load the library titles on the iPhone and in fact on my WiFi sound quality is pretty good.

BTW Pauls's .jpg was of Windows firewall I believe
Steve
------------

Simon

It didn't do anything as far as I could see, but perhaps it will when I connect next. 
Simon.
--

Steve

There's a free app called iNet which shows you which services are emanating from your PC , you don't get any port details unless you pay for the full version though but you should see several iTunes / bonjour services
Steve
------------

psp83

Quote from: Ray on Nov 17, 2011, 19:13:58
Are you running a third party Firewall or just the Standards Windows one, Paul, I tend to agree with Steve that the problem is being caused by 3rd party Firewalls. Born out by the fact that it works on my WHS 2011 which only has the standard Windows Firewall on it but I'm using a third party one on Windows 7 64 bit MC.

It worked when I had ESET Smart Security Installed (now on my laptop) but only have NOD32 AV installed now.

I'm using Windows Firewall at the moment as the router firewall does all the external protection.

Quote from: Steve on Nov 17, 2011, 19:24:33
BTW Pauls's .jpg was of Windows firewall I believe

Correct.

Getting iTunes to work with your iPhone can take a while, it took me ages to get the remote app to work. I had to open ports on the router & software firewall, enable services & options etc etc. Its not straight forward as they make it out.

I would tell you what I had to do but its been a while since I did it all  :(

psp83

Quote from: Steve on Nov 17, 2011, 19:49:50
There's a free app called iNet which shows you which services are emanating from your PC , you don't get any port details unless you pay for the full version though but you should see several iTunes / bonjour services

I use that app as well as one called Scany it helped me getting the remote app working.

Simon

Well, I'll be buggered!  I've just upgraded F-Secure to the 2012 version, and it's all started working!  ::)
Simon.
--

Steve

Steve
------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Gary

Quote from: Simon on Nov 16, 2011, 21:58:26
I'm trying to get my iPhone 4S to sync with iTunes over WiFi. 
Just a thought, that eats your battery alive, many people have disabled that option, for me well I don't need to sync from the lounge to the study, seems a bit daft :)
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Lance

I've not noticed any impact on battery life.

Fortunately I didn't have any issues getting it enabled on my phone/pc. PC is W7 64bit with just the windows firewall.

Lance
_____

Simon

Besides, if you've got it plugged into power, the battery isn't an issue.  I just wanted to get it to work, as it's supposed to, and I didn't want to be defeated.  ;D
Simon.
--

Steve

I think the home sharing/airplay is probably more worth while .
Steve
------------

psp83

Quote from: Steve on Nov 18, 2011, 10:01:03
I think the home sharing/airplay is probably more worth while .

How do you get home sharing working on iPhone with iOS5 on ?

I have home sharing enabled on my iTunes and when I load the music app on my phone and touch the more menu, there is no shared option  >:(

psp83

Never mind, got it working now.. Had to reboot the phone  :)

Simon

WiFi syncing is still spasmodic for me - first time I booted the PC up this afternoon, it worked fine, but now, iTunes won't see the phone again.  :dunno:
Simon.
--

Steve

Sorry Paul , I just ensure that I've enabled home sharing with the same Apple ID on computer and IOS device I'm not sure whether the max no of 5 computers for a single Apple ID covers IOS devices.
Steve
------------

Steve

Simon I did find that if I ejected the wifi connected phone twice in iTunes I had to use the cable to get WiFi enabled again.
Steve
------------

Simon

It enabled again after a PC reboot.  :dunno:
Simon.
--