Win 7 preventing internet access on Vista machines

Started by Trevor, Nov 20, 2011, 12:24:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

I'm hoping that someone may be able to help where TP-Link customer service failed - dismally!
I replaced my Netgear router with one from TP-Link a while ago and whilst it has stopped the problems with loss of connection I have a new problem that is driving me nuts.  >:(
I have 2 desktop and 1 laptop connected. The laptop and 1 desktop are running Vista and will both access the internet at the same time without any problems. However if I run the desktop with Win 7 at the same time as either of the others, I lose the connection to the Vista machine. I only ever run 2 machines at the same time. The laptop will not connect on either Ethernet or wireless.
I contacted TP-Link customer service and they suggested that I had a virus/trojan on the Win 7 PC or that I should set a static IP address. Since I have no confidence in them and absolutely no idea how all this works, I am hoping that someone here can help - preferably in words of 1 syllable.
Thanks in advance.

Rik

It doesn't make any sense to me, Trevor. I avoided Vista, but I can run XP and 7 together with no problems. Do you have them computers networking, eg sharing files or printers, or do they just share the 'net connection.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lona

I have a desktop running Vista, and another running XP with a laptop running Win7.  They're all networked and connect fine but everytime I download and install Vista service pack 2 the Vista machine loses connection.

I have to uninstall service pack 2 to regain the network connection. After many attempts I decided to leave things as they were as I've never been able to solve the problem.

I don't know if this helps.

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Trevor

Quote from: Rik on Nov 20, 2011, 12:29:14
It doesn't make any sense to me, Trevor. I avoided Vista, but I can run XP and 7 together with no problems. Do you have them computers networking, eg sharing files or printers, or do they just share the 'net connection.

Hi Rik,
The Vista PCs are networked, but not the Win 7 machine.
I remembered after my first post that my wife has a Netbook running Win 7 Starter, so I tried to run that at the same time as the other Win 7 PC. It lost the connection too, so it must be something to do with the Win 7 Desktop machine, but I haven't a clue what.

Lona - thanks for your suggestion, but given that the Vista PCs are working nicely together, I don't want to do anything that may affect that as well.  ;D

Rik

It does make me wonder if Lona has the answer, Trevor. Could you try the old router to check?
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Not sure Trevor how you've got your machines networked,as you say the Win 7 machine isn't,normally all 3 machines connect to the router via a wired or wireless connection

If the Win 7 is 'kicking' the other machines off, I would expect some IP address conflict warnings appearing on either machine. I can see no harm in setting a static  IP address for each machine to see if this solves the problem

http://www.tplink.com/en/article/?articleid=116
Steve
------------

Trevor

Quote from: Steve on Nov 20, 2011, 13:17:46
Not sure Trevor how you've got your machines networked,as you say the Win 7 machine isn't,normally all 3 machines connect to the router via a wired or wireless connection

If the Win 7 is 'kicking' the other machines off, I would expect some IP address conflict warnings appearing on either machine. I can see no harm in setting a static  IP address for each machine to see if this solves the problem

http://www.tplink.com/en/article/?articleid=116

Thanks Steve, II'll give it a try. - Watch this space.  :laugh:

Trevor

Quote from: Rik on Nov 20, 2011, 13:16:03
It does make me wonder if Lona has the answer, Trevor. Could you try the old router to check?
Hi Rik,
Sorry I missed your reply. WHen my old router allowed me to access the internet, it would do so from any combination of PCs. I'm pretty sure SP2 was installed at the time.
One thing I have noticed is that the DNS Servers are shown as 192.168.1.1 when I do ipconfig on each PC. Is this right as IDNet show something different. (I suspect this question will really show my ignorance!)

Steve

That's the computer picking up the DNS from the router. You can change the DNS settings from automatic at both the router and computer level.
Steve
------------

Steve

Steve
------------

Trevor

Quote from: Steve on Nov 20, 2011, 16:47:29
That's the computer picking up the DNS from the router. You can change the DNS settings from automatic at both the router and computer level.

Thanks Steve.

Trevor

Just to let you all know that applying a static IP address didn't work. I even tried disabling the adapter on the Win 7 PC to see if that would allow the Vista machines to access the internet, but that didn't work either.
I guess I'll just have to work round it.
Thanks for all your replies.

Technical Ben

Hmm. Could a hardware fault be causing noise on the line from the Win 7 machine?
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Lona

I've been thinking more about your problem and sometimes windows firewall prevents setting up a new network connection.
Try disabling windows firewall temporarily and see if that helps.

As I said I have Xp, Vista and Win7 all networked and with internet connections running on all three at the same time.

I would mention that the laptop which has win7 connects wirelessly while the other two use ethernet.

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Steve

Perhaps I misunderstand the situation here and I can't get my head round it at all. What I understand is that if the Win 7 machine is connected via the router to the internet the 2 vista machines lose their internet connection..

Can you from a dot prompt display the result of ipconfig /all.
Steve
------------

Trevor

Quote from: Technical Ben on Nov 30, 2011, 17:16:41
Hmm. Could a hardware fault be causing noise on the line from the Win 7 machine?
I'm not sure what I would do to verify this?
I have ruled out the router as the problem. I had a loaner from IDNET (Thanks again) and the problem remained.
Lona - I'm using Norton Internet, so Windows firewall is disabled. I've looked at the various settings in Norton but couldn't find anything obvious that could cause the problem.
Glenn - Thanks for the link. I've checked the settings and they all look fine.
Steve - Yes, that's right. As soon as I switch on the Win 7 PC the connection is lost on the Vista machines.
I'll recheck the IPConfig results again. TBH I've gone through so many things I've forgotten most of what I saw.

Thanks again all for your time.  :)

Glenn

What happens if you switch on the Win 7 PC first, I presume the Vista PC's then can't connect to the internet?

Can all the PC's see each other on your little network?

How many networks in the Network and Sharing Centre does Win 7 see, just your home one or an unidentified one too?

http://www.w7forums.com/multiple-networks-block-internet-connection-t1440.html
Glenn
--------------------

Trevor

Quote from: Glenn on Dec 01, 2011, 09:07:44
What happens if you switch on the Win 7 PC first, I presume the Vista PC's then can't connect to the internet?

Can all the PC's see each other on your little network?

How many networks in the Network and Sharing Centre does Win 7 see, just your home one or an unidentified one too?

http://www.w7forums.com/multiple-networks-block-internet-connection-t1440.html

That's right. It doesn't matter in what order they are switched on.

Trevor

I don't believe it. I've just switched on the Win 7 machine again to check the networks as Glenn suggested and this time I can access the internet on the Vista laptop!
I didn't do anything today that would resolve the problem, so I don't know what is going on. Not that I'm complaining. As long as it continues to work, I'll be a happy bunny.  :laugh:
Thanks again to everyone that has taken the time and trouble to help me in my hour(s) of need.  :thumb:

Rik

Glad you've got there, Trevor. Of course, will that still be true tomorrow?  :evil:
Rik
--------------------

Trevor

Quote from: Rik on Dec 01, 2011, 11:46:27
Glad you've got there, Trevor. Of course, will that still be true tomorrow?  :evil:

Thanks for that Rik!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Technical Ben

I've always found Windows and it's assignment of IPs to mess up all the time. I remember it being murder getting a two XP machines to connect and file share over a crossover cable network. :/
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Trevor

Rik - I hope Father Christmas gave you a miss this year!  :evil:
The problem came back again. I've scoured the web for suggestions without any luck. I wonder if it could be something to do with Norton Internet Security? I've checked the settings and they seem OK.
The REALLY odd thing is that I can occasionally connect for a couple of minutes, but lose the connection again.
I get really frustrated with things like this, to say the least.  :laugh:
Anyway, I wish everyone here (except Rik  ;D) a very merry Xmas and a happy and prosperous New Year.

Rik

:laugh:

Sorry I proved to be prophetic, Trevor, but I've noticed that things which cure themselves have a nasty habit of returning too. I'd certainly take a close look at Norton for starters.
Rik
--------------------

Steve

I strongly suspect that the solution is a couple of clicks away. ;)
Steve
------------

Rik

Ah, but what happens if he goes a click too far? ;D
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Steve
------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

Norton is a PITA on 7.

The built in firewall is quite strong so all you really need is AV, honestly.

jane

I have a TP-Link TD-W8960N and I have to assign static IP leases on the router configuration page after assigning each machine a static IP.
Set a unique static IP address on each of the two Vista machines and the 7 machine in the range 192.168.1.(20-200) (the router being 192.168.1.1). On each machine find the MAC address (Physical Address) of the appropriate network card by running ipconfig /all in a terminal console.
Go into the router configuration page (192.168.1.1)> Advanced set up>LAN. Tick enable DHCP server and (in my above example) put "start IP address" 192.168.1.20, "end IP address 192.168.1.200" (or whatever fits with what you have already set up on the machines).
Below that it says "Static IP Lease List" with a button to add entries. Add each MAC address with the corresponding IP address you have previously assigned to each machine. You have to type in the MAC address manually in the format 00:00:00:00:00:00 (and I seem to remember it prefers capital letters for the alphabetics but I could be wrong there!).
Apologies if you have done this already!

Trevor

Thanks Jane for that detailed set of instructions. As soon as I can move again after all the Xmas fare, I'll give it a go.
Steve - the solution at present is only one click away - I unplug the Ethernet cable!  ;D

Trevor

I have both Ethernet and wireless connections on my laptop. I've assigned a static address for the wireless connection, should I do the same for the LAN? If so, should it be different from the wireless address?
Thanks.

Steve

Yes if they are both active and you are adding the MAC addresses to the router settings
Steve
------------

jane

As Steve said. The wired card will have a unique MAC address so it would be safer to give it a different IP to the wireless card as far as the router is concerned.
My TP-Link is a great little router but the set up takes a bit of getting used to. It gets better after each firmware upgrade I am very pleased to say. They do seem to listen to customer feedback believe it or not.