Wireless Channels

Started by Tacitus, Dec 24, 2011, 14:09:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacitus

I'm currently trying out an Apple Airport Extreme which has wireless N & G.  Since I don't want to do anything to upset my current 2-wire I need to set the channels on each so they are the furthest apart to minimise interference.

Is it good enough to set one on ch1 and the other on 13 or are there specific groups of channels which should be kept apart?

MisterW

Channels 1,6 & 11 are sufficiently far apart as to not affect each other.

Steve

I also set the 5GHz band to channel 40 as don't always see it on auto (which is channel 36 on mine)
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Tacitus

Quote from: MisterW on Dec 24, 2011, 14:22:30
Channels 1,6 & 11 are sufficiently far apart as to not affect each other.

Thanks for this.  Is the 'normal' sequence this plus (say) 3, 8 & 13?  IE any channels that are 5 apart?

@Steve:  I'm having to use 'G' as I have one device that is G only - well G & B.  Worth remembering though for the future.

Steve

If you've any N Devices as well keeping them separated on the 5 Ghz probably gives them better performance as they are not dragged back by the slower G devices. Both bands will co exist happily on the AEBS  although the 5Ghz does not have the range of the 2.5Ghz
Steve
------------

MisterW

QuoteIs the 'normal' sequence this plus (say) 3, 8 & 13?  IE any channels that are 5 apart?
Yup, getting at least 5 channels away from other transmitters is the aim.

Tacitus

OK, thanks to you both for the help.  Have a happy Christmas  :)

Steve

Steve
------------

Rik

Sounds like a Chinese laundry. ;D
Rik
--------------------