Win 7 preventing internet access on Vista machines

Started by Trevor, Nov 20, 2011, 12:24:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

:laugh:

Sorry I proved to be prophetic, Trevor, but I've noticed that things which cure themselves have a nasty habit of returning too. I'd certainly take a close look at Norton for starters.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

I strongly suspect that the solution is a couple of clicks away. ;)
Steve
------------

Rik

Ah, but what happens if he goes a click too far? ;D
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Steve
------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

Norton is a PITA on 7.

The built in firewall is quite strong so all you really need is AV, honestly.

jane

I have a TP-Link TD-W8960N and I have to assign static IP leases on the router configuration page after assigning each machine a static IP.
Set a unique static IP address on each of the two Vista machines and the 7 machine in the range 192.168.1.(20-200) (the router being 192.168.1.1). On each machine find the MAC address (Physical Address) of the appropriate network card by running ipconfig /all in a terminal console.
Go into the router configuration page (192.168.1.1)> Advanced set up>LAN. Tick enable DHCP server and (in my above example) put "start IP address" 192.168.1.20, "end IP address 192.168.1.200" (or whatever fits with what you have already set up on the machines).
Below that it says "Static IP Lease List" with a button to add entries. Add each MAC address with the corresponding IP address you have previously assigned to each machine. You have to type in the MAC address manually in the format 00:00:00:00:00:00 (and I seem to remember it prefers capital letters for the alphabetics but I could be wrong there!).
Apologies if you have done this already!

Trevor

Thanks Jane for that detailed set of instructions. As soon as I can move again after all the Xmas fare, I'll give it a go.
Steve - the solution at present is only one click away - I unplug the Ethernet cable!  ;D

Trevor

I have both Ethernet and wireless connections on my laptop. I've assigned a static address for the wireless connection, should I do the same for the LAN? If so, should it be different from the wireless address?
Thanks.

Steve

Yes if they are both active and you are adding the MAC addresses to the router settings
Steve
------------

jane

As Steve said. The wired card will have a unique MAC address so it would be safer to give it a different IP to the wireless card as far as the router is concerned.
My TP-Link is a great little router but the set up takes a bit of getting used to. It gets better after each firmware upgrade I am very pleased to say. They do seem to listen to customer feedback believe it or not.