Little question about filters...

Started by Technical Ben, Nov 23, 2011, 15:50:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Technical Ben

If someone has an extension upstairs, with a phone and pc, and a phone downs stairs, what is the best arrangement for ASDL splitters/filters?
Each phone needs one right?

The reason I ask is I've just seen a mess of cables. They have a filter on each phone, but then the entire lot (including the PC) goes through another filter before getting to the master socket. So that means the broadband is filtered through a phone filter! Can you even double filter connections like that? :slap:

Is there a way to avoid having to trail a second cable down the stairs? If I split the signal from up stairs, how do I connect the downstairs phone without interfering with the broadband?

...Oh wait I think I figured it out. Would it be correct to add a filter upstairs (to split the PC and the Phone). Then just add a filter to the downstairs phone. I can then just use a splitter to combine the two extensions, and they will be filtered correctly? That seems about right, and should untangle the 4 (yes 4!!!) multi connectors and extensions all plugged into one another.  ;D
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Rik

ADSL shouldn't work through a filter, Ben, so the filters aren't much good. :) Your final paragraph has it right, but if they are using flat extension cable, replace it with round.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Technical Ben

I think I'll settle for just redoing the filters (as said, at least 4 extensions all bodged into each other :P ).
No idea how it's working through the filter then. What SDR would it be given!? :P

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Glenn

SDR I can recommend stopping at Buckfast Abbey.  ;)
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

Technical Ben

Rik

The SNR on the cleaned up installation will be interesting to observe, Ben. It should lead to higher and more stable sync speeds.
Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

Ok. Good and bad news. The good news is, the router/modem was actually on a different socket. All the extensions were for downstairs, not upstairs. The bad news, the modem is on a different socket. That means, a filter swap won't fix it. :(

So it's either a new modem, or a complete check of everything. I'm rather annoyed, as I thought I could help with a simple swap of a cable. The modem did keep cutting out when the phone rang though. Not all the time, but at least every other call it would cut out in line with hanging up. So I'd suspect something to do with the wiring myself.  :dunno:

Rik

It seems likely, Ben. Can you try disconnecting everything except the router, then dialling the number and see if the router maintains sync?
Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

Did do. It was fine. Then while looking to do a speed test it died again (before I plugged anything back in). Which would leave the upstairs phone/wall socket or the router/exchange/line as the problem. All those problems are beyond my scope. :(

Unless I'm missing something obvious. However, routers are known to die on occasion right? I'll see if it's fixed by a replacement.

Rik

Routers, and particularly their power supplies, do die, Ben, so I'd start there.
Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

Lol. Mine is still resetting every night at midnight +/- a min or two. It does not seem to be my electric doing it (I can hear my house hold equipment turning off/on earlier or later etc). So someone around here has some dangerous wiring at a guess.

Rik

These marital aids can be very noisy.  :evil:
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Didn't someone on this forum once report their netgear disconnected at midnight every night?
Lance
_____

Steve

Don't think we have Cinderella as a member.  :dunno:
Steve
------------

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Technical Ben

Oh I have a spare router to swap and check, also I can use router stats to see if noise etch jumps. If it does, I could put a complaint through to BT etc or who ever deals with such complaints. At least it's not as bad as the time a local around here took out an entire street with their broken hardware. :P

Lance

Thanks for finding that, Glenn. I was on the train using the wap interface so couldn't search at the time.
Lance
_____

Technical Ben

Just to let you know, the customer I was giving a hand to decided to replace the filters themselves. The problem is now gone!  :thumb:
I guess my spare filters were as dead as the existing ones. No idea why mine did not work, they were still sealed in the bags (spares from a router purchase).  :dunno:

So the lesson is, always get brand new filters?

Rik

Or branded, rather than free, Ben.
Rik
--------------------