No connection

Started by Joel, Dec 03, 2011, 14:46:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Quote from: Steve on Dec 03, 2011, 19:16:32
It not beyonds of possibility that BT could lose an ISPs records from the authentication server.

And we know this because they've done it to IDNet before.  >:(
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

Quote from: Rik on Dec 03, 2011, 19:17:51
And we know this because they've done it to IDNet before.  >:(

It's quite ridiculous there are still single points of failure like this.

jrboden

All back up in Chester 01244 and I need to do a speed test after my download has completed but I am seeing a massssssssive increase in my download speed  :eek4: :thumb:

dudwell

When broadband goes down it's reassuring to be able to see that other IDNetters are having the same problem. At such times I used to reach this forum by (illegally but briefly) connecting via my 85 year old next door neighbour's unsecured wireless network but that's disappeared as she's abandoned attempts to become computer-capable. Next I took to reverting to dial-up but my new laptop doesn't have a modem – yes, I could (and might) buy an external USB modem for about £15. Then again I know there's a way to connect with a mobile phone but I'm very vague about it.

What I'm trying to say is: could someone produce an idiot's guide on ways to find out what's going on when there's a problem. Something that could be printed out and kept for when the need arises.

jrboden

Not blaming IDNET and can't complain first outage I have had in a very long time but will say the first line support on the phone as about much use as a chocolate fire guard !!! :dunno:

I had already been on this forum via my phone and was clear their were many users affected which I did state to the first line only to be read a script - "Have you disabled all your firewalls" "have you disabled all your Anti virus" "have you got ADSL filters on all your phones" apart from that they were not interested in the fact that I had been on here and it was clear their were problems.
once they completed their basic script they had no info you think they would monitor this forum as well it always looks bad when the customer knows more than the person you are ringing for help  :eyebrow:  :slap:

So what I am trying to say is they were no help what so ever I got all the help from you guys in here  :thumb:

Anyway just done a speed test -:

which is about the norm for me but I just down loaded 900mb in 20 mins which would have took over 2 hrs in the past - not complaining LOL  8-)

jrboden

Quote from: dudwell on Dec 03, 2011, 19:38:05
When broadband goes down it's reassuring to be able to see that other IDNetters are having the same problem. At such times I used to reach this forum by (illegally but briefly) connecting via my 85 year old next door neighbour's unsecured wireless network but that's disappeared as she's abandoned attempts to become computer-capable. Next I took to reverting to dial-up but my new laptop doesn't have a modem – yes, I could (and might) buy an external USB modem for about £15. Then again I know there's a way to connect with a mobile phone but I'm very vague about it.

What I'm trying to say is: could someone produce an idiot's guide on ways to find out what's going on when there's a problem. Something that could be printed out and kept for when the need arises.

Your best using your mobile to view this forum that's what I did  :thumb:

Steve

Dudwell if your phone has a browser, bookmark  http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?wap2 which is a simple low bandwidth version of the forum and tends to work in most populated areas of the country.
Steve
------------

Simon

IDNet are being forwarded feedback about out of hours support.  We hope that improvements will follow. 
Simon.
--

BrianM

Rang support after downtime of about 2 hours, got through to a Lisa I think it was, she said they were aware of the problem and tec's were working on it but couldn't give a fixture time. But thanks Lisa for being so pleasant.    :-*
Brian

Take care of all your memories. For you cannot relive them.

dudwell

Quote from: Steve on Dec 03, 2011, 19:59:50
Dudwell if your phone has a browser, bookmark  http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?wap2 which is a simple low bandwidth version of the forum and tends to work in most populated areas of the country.

Aah yes, thank you, I recall I've struggled with this before. Trouble is, I've been quite unable to find how to input the / symbol. I'm sure I must be missing something extremely elementary :blush:

Steve

If for instance your using a  basic Nokia phone. - menu>web>goto address then if / is required hit * and scroll through the options.
Steve
------------

dudwell

Quote from: Steve on Dec 03, 2011, 21:01:04
If for instance your using a  basic Nokia phone. - menu>web>goto address then if / is required hit * and scroll through the options.

Just discovered it! Requires lots of presses on 1 with my basic Samsung phone. Not shown in the "list of characters available" in the 168 page instruction manual. Must say I find text entry quite exhausting, must be a generation thing.

Lance

Actually I suspect it's the fact it's a basic phone which makes it exhausting. Many modern phones have touchscreen keyboards which present numerous symbols at the touch of a button.
Lance
_____

Technical Ben

Quote from: Steve on Dec 03, 2011, 19:16:32
It not beyonds of possibility that BT could lose an ISPs records from the authentication server.
And don't we know it*!

:laugh:

I noticed the downtime just before I left the house. I was sure IDNet would get it up and running again ASAP. All back in order now. Great job.  :thumb:

*Exactly what happened last year!?
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Terryphi

Perhaps some lessons can be learnt from yesterday's outage? Clearly many customers were phoning Support and pointlessly joining a long queue. As soon as a widespread problem is identified the first menu on the phone line should have a message like "We are aware that there is an issue affecting customers' broadband connection. We are making every effort to resolve this as soon as possible."
Most of us would then wait patiently and not add to the harassment of the hard-working Support staff.

talos

Quote from: Terryphi on Dec 04, 2011, 07:05:32
Perhaps some lessons can be learnt from yesterday's outage? Clearly many customers were phoning Support and pointlessly joining a long queue. As soon as a widespread problem is identified the first menu on the phone line should have a message like "We are aware that there is an issue affecting customers' broadband connection. We are making every effort to resolve this as soon as possible."
Most of us would then wait patiently and not add to the harassment of the hard-working Support staff.

I think that's a first class idea  :thumb: what does Idnet support think?

Gary

Quote from: Technical Ben on Dec 04, 2011, 00:20:19
And don't we know it*!

:laugh:

I noticed the downtime just before I left the house. I was sure IDNet would get it up and running again ASAP. All back in order now. Great job.  :thumb:

If they didn't we would have problems, since they are a primarily a broadband supplier  :whistle: I feel the issue is still down to communication, even with the appearance of out of ours support, I feel not a huge amount has actually changed, the people yesterday were following what felt like a very basic script, and any deviation from that and they were lost, at least before a message would get though to someone like Simon pretty quickly. There was more information about how widespread the issue was on forum than from support for a fair while, that's not great support, and they don't monitor the forum it seems, which is the first place many come when issues arise. There are always lessons to be learned in life, but I keep getting a sense of Déjà vu when these events happen.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Steve

I am aware that the OOH support seems to be script based and indeed may not have access to IDNet current network's status, what I need to know so I don't waste my time is whether it just affects my connection or many others. Currently this forum is the most efficient method of determining that by looking at the number of members logged in, after that I know whether I've got to test my connection or leave well alone.
Steve
------------

mervl

I didn't have any problem yesterday; but my FTTC troubleshooting for no connection is:
1. my modem, if flashing, it's local problem between me and exchange (rare so far);
2. access my f8lure recording (easier on mobile phone) or TBB monitoring through an alternative connection - if they're down and modem light OK then it's usually a network problem somewhere
3. check forum and status threads.

The problem I perceive is that if the issue is within BT's network but their reporting doesn't show it, how does anyone know apart from by collating customer reports (which is what the forum does)? As a manual job it's labour intensive and expensive, especially out of hours so volunteers are best (well done, lads!). And any reporting is going to be delayed (there was s status report at about 4.30pm yesterday).

Surely it's another bit of residential and SME services being best effort (what you get): that's what we pay for. When I was with mass market operators, my rule of thumb was that I had to allow at least 12 hours for things to be put right (or next working day, if later) so 3 hours or so at a weekend is PDG I reckon!  (:blush: I forgot to add patience to my necessary virtues in the other thread!)

sat_mad

Just to chip in... it would have been nice to see the status page updated a bit quicker too.

For the first two hours of the outage it said everything was fine, and just mentioned the problem from two weeks ago.

Today, it still says there's a problem long after it was fixed.

It kind of makes the page (and RSS feeds) pointless in my view.

Ardua

A comment and a couple of questions.

Firstly, I think that IDNet needs to expand on what OOH Support is contracted, and able, to provide. I sense that they are nothing more than a 'call centre'.

Secondly, what do other niche ISPs do when things go wrong OOHs?  Comment is often made on this site of people checking the Zen and AAISP sites for more information.

Thirdly, IDNet has had a number of minor technical issues over the past few weeks. I am sure that they are all brilliant with their electronic screwdrivers but in the interests of good customer relations how about a more formal feedback process. The implication on this forum is that yesterday's issue was down to BT. Was it? I can find no reference to any other BT network outages which could account for what happened.

Simon

It was a BT radius server outage.  I'm not sure if that would have affected other ISPs or not, but it was definitely BT, from what we have been told. 
Simon.
--

Tacitus

Quote from: Ardua on Dec 04, 2011, 09:43:28
Firstly, I think that IDNet needs to expand on what OOH Support is contracted, and able, to provide. I sense that they are nothing more than a 'call centre'.

I agree but the first thing they should do is to regard this forum, not as an optional extra, but as part of their support team.  OK I think they provide free hosting but given the problems they've had in the 2/3 years I've been with them, they should be far more proactive in its use and not always leave it to Rik and the team to make the first move.

I'm not suggesting they take it over as a de facto part of iDNet, but far more interaction between support and the forum can only be a good thing.  Where the problem lies has never been clear, but IMHO iDNet seem clueless when it comes to marketing and communication opportunities - in particular the latter.  Same goes for their use of FaceBook and Twitter.  They really need to bring in a good marketing person or at least a decent consultant who could advise them on how best to improve communications.

Rik

It's the team now, officially, Tac, I'm retired. ;)

The problem yesterday seems to have been that IDNet's monitoring couldn't see the failure, because a radius server issue simply means people can't log in - nothing falls over to sound an alarm. Consequently, the more people who can reach the forum and alert us, the quicker we can make contact with IDNet and alert them. As far as I can tell, the OOH support, which is fundamentally script-driven, don't have the same level of direct contact that we do.
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Dec 04, 2011, 11:13:35
It's the team now, officially, Tac, I'm retired. ;)

Hmmmm     ;D

Quote from: Rik on Dec 04, 2011, 11:13:35
As far as I can tell, the OOH support, which is fundamentally script-driven, don't have the same level of direct contact that we do.

I think that needs revising.  OTOH if iDNet do that they will be besieged with calls which rather nullifies the point of having a call centre based system....