WiFi

Started by Broadback, Dec 05, 2011, 16:29:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Broadback

I am an ignoramus, as I am sure you all realise. How do I get Wifi from my computer? At the moment I use the 2700 router, will I need to replace that, if so what it the recommended one? :dunno:
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

Simon

No, the 2700 has wireless capability.  What device are you trying to use wifi with?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Broadback

Pay attention at the back!  ;)
I did say I was an ignoramus, what do you mean what device am I trying to use it with? I am shortly taking delivery of a Kindle and wish to link with that. Does that answer your question?

Rik

Your Kindle will work fine with the 2700, BB, you just need to enable wifi if it isn't already (by default it will be).
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Yes, that's what I asked, BB.  :)
Simon.
--

Broadback

I have now received my Kindle, set up wireless in accordance with the instructions on this site. Seems to be correctly set, except I am not asked for a password. However the Kindle fails to connect. Any ideas please?

Rik

Can the router see the Kindle, BB, ie is it shown in the device list?
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Sorry at work so can't really help til later, but I don't recall any difficulties connecting the Kindle I think it went along the lines of wifi settings>select network. I can't recall the exact sequence for password entry whether I entered prior to or during the connection.

PS don't forget to turn the wifi on and then go into settings to select the network and password input.
Steve
------------

Broadback

Found a little more out. The statistics for wireles a increasing. There is noKindle on the routers device list. I cannot see a settings option, only for the firewall.

Steve

You shouldn't have to touch the router except to turn WifI on, you will not see it on the routers device list unless of course it's connected.
Steve
------------

Rik

Look for local network > wireless.
Rik
--------------------

.Griff.

Broadback

Steve, I checked and the WIFI was already switched on. I tried the youttube connection Griff, but sadly my hearing is poor, so I could not hear it, the screen was too small to read, when I made it full screen it was too blurred to read.

.Griff.

Quote from: Broadback on Dec 07, 2011, 17:48:36
I tried the youttube connection Griff, but sadly my hearing is poor, so I could not hear it, the screen was too small to read, when I made it full screen it was too blurred to read.

You could turn on closed captions (subtitles) -

I just thought a video may be easier for you to follow  :)

Broadback

Thanks for that Griff,now I can "read" it, but sadly it only shows you what to do after you have done your initial WIFI connection.

Steve

i'm not sure which version you've got but mine is the wifi with keyboard. My walk though , press HOME , press Menu > turn wireless On , Menu >settings> WiFi settings >view- you should at this point see a list of available Wifi networks (I actually see 7 wifi networks mainly neighbours) scroll to the one you wish to  connect to and select, at this point I'm asked to enter my wifi password , I use the keypad to enter the password using the 'sym' key to enter any numeric characters.Finally submit.

One other solution is to turn off wifi security on the router temporarily just to confirm everythings working.
Steve
------------

Broadback

As I have not yet managed a connection to a Wifi I do not have that option. I am certain that either the wifi on my router is not working or the wifi on the Kindle is kaput. The only thing I can think to do is take the Kindle to a location where wifi is available. I assume there is no way to test my wifi apart from borrowing someones laptop or such?

Steve

Certainly using the Kindle to scan for WiFi networks is an option and I think if you can see neighbouring networks even though you shouldn't be able to connect it proves it's working. I think as you say either the router or the Kindle is not WiFi enabled/faulty as it really is not that difficult to connect   otherwise.
Steve
------------

Steve

What I'm not familiar with is the wireless settings on the 2700, i.e. ensure WiFi is not turned off and also that the SSID(WiFi connection name) is not hidden.
Steve
------------

Simon

Do you have any other devices, such as a phone, that could search for your router wifi?
Simon.
--

Broadback

So I visited the dentist this morning, the Kindle found several WIFIs there but needed password to connect. Saw that the SSID was not on, switched, Kindle now finds my 2700. Having followed Kimmer's script to set the 2700 I find there is no WPA2-PSK option, tried WPA_PSK also tried the other 2 options, none ask for a password to be set. When trying the Kindle it finds my 2700 OK but cannot connect as it need a password, which I cannot supply. How do I set the password please?

Steve

Progress hopefully a 2wire user will take you through it's wifi password setup routine
Steve
------------

Broadback

Thanks Steve I await with bated breath. The system password is easy and obvious, but I can find nothing to point to the wireless password.  :'( I want my Kindle :'(

Rik

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=J46&THISPAGE=A02_POST&NEXTPAGE=J46 on my 2700s. Choose 'Use custom key' and set something to suit, alphanumeric, 8 or more characters preferably.
Rik
--------------------