DOS Attack to router from me?

Started by Aradin, Nov 27, 2011, 20:16:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Aradin

Tried searching for something like this for ages and haven't really found anything (That is, whether this is normal or whether I can fix it). I'm just wondering if there's something malicious on my PC that scans aren't detecting?

Anyway, I've been getting something like this everyday (Times have varied slightly) for some time now. At the stated time I lose all network connectivity for 20 seconds or so then I reconnect and I'm good to go till the same time the next day. Only ever happens with my PC and connection which makes me think there is something somewhere. Router is a Netgear DG834Gv5 with firmware V1.6.01.34. Using Ethernet with TP-Link Powerline adapters.

[DOS Attack] : 1 [STORM] packets detected in last 20 seconds, source ip [192.168.0.137]
Saturday, Nov 26,2011 19:49:11

Is anyone able to shed any light on the matter?

Steve

The source is an internal IP address , I just wonder if your dropping connection and the error is a miss report from the router when a packet from that machine doesn't get through because the connection is down. :dunno:
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Aradin

Yeah that's my LAN IP. What would cause only me to drop connection at the same time (Give or take) everyday? My understanding of it is something from my PC is sending too many packets and flooding the router, dropping my connection.

I mean it could be nothing as but all the scans I've done return nothing and it is rather annoying waiting for it to happen.

Glenn

Is it the same time each day, is there anything switching in the house at that time?
Glenn
--------------------

Aradin

Same time and nothing I can think of that is turned on. Why would something like that only affect my connection and no one elses (2 computers and a console)?

Baz

does it not show in the router set up what device that address is allocated to.

I have my printer set up to use the same address all the time, could it be some thing similar  :dunno:

Aradin

As I said, I allocated that address to my PC (Each device has it's own set address).

I just don't understand what is happening. What makes me think it's something on my PC is that it only happens to me. Apart from this entry in the log everyday, it's clear.

Rik

Have you run a virus and malware scan?
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Aradin

I've disabled that LAN sync so I'll see if it was that tomorrow (Today's disconnect has already happened). I don't keep Dropbox open however so we'll see if it can sync without being open.

And yes, run several scans and none have found anything.