BTw replacing all FTTC modems next year

Started by .Griff., Dec 23, 2011, 12:27:51

Previous topic - Next topic

.Griff.

For a couple of months now there's been reports that BT Retail customers have been contacted to arrange the replacement of their OR/Huawei VDSL2 modems but until now no confirmation has appeared concerning BTw customers.

However it would now appear that ALL FTTC users, BTr and BTw, will get their modems replaced next year by "Kelly Communications" -

"We have been advised by BT that they are wanting to replace the FTTC modem that has been provided as part of your FTTC internet connection.

Our FTTC customers will be emailed this information, and will be contacted by 'Kelly Communications' in the new year.

Details follow:

To make sure you always get the best possible broadband service, we’re going to swap your current broadband modem (the white box with the Openreach logo on the front) for a better one.

Why are we (BT) doing this?

We have recently found a problem with a handful of modems that could cause connection problems with broadband in the future. Although you might not have noticed anything wrong, we don’t believe in taking chances.  So we are working to replace the current modem with a new one to make sure your service keeps running smoothly now and long into the future.

What do you need to do?

Just let one of our supplier’s engineers (Kelly Communications) come round and install your new modem. We’ll do the work whenever it suits you – daytime, evening or weekend.  And you won’t have to pay for anything.

How long will it take?

Our engineer will only take around 30 minutes to swap your existing BT Openreach modem for the new version. And they will make sure everything’s running perfectly before they leave.

What happens next?

You’ll get a call from a company called Kelly Communications, who are working on behalf of BT Openreach, to set up the appointments.

Once you’ve agreed a time, all you have to do is be there to let in our engineer and, for your peace of mind, we have asked all our Engineers to introduce themselves and show their ID before carrying out the required work.

Any questions?

If you have any questions, please call Kelly Communications on 01384 418023 or via email appt.enquiries@kelly.co.uk."

Source - http://s.aa.net.uk/1321

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

zappaDPJ

QuoteAccording to a BT spokesman talking to The Register, the modems needed to be changed because of a malfunctioning chip, prone to overheating, although they were keen to point out that there is no risk of fire.

I could fry an egg on the underside of my modem, I've never felt comfortable about it. I hope this free switch applies to everyone.
zap
--------------------

pctech

zappaDPJ

I have mentioned it. Long story short, I have it sitting upright, away from everything that's likely to contribute more heat :fingers:
zap
--------------------

Steve

Mines fixed to the wall, the engineer said that he was instructed to.
Steve
------------

alexwright

So the question is... Will IDNet be requesting new modems from BT on our behalf?

Lance

With it being BTw and not BT retail it should be all BT modems regardless of ISP.
Lance
_____

Bill

On past performance, especially the 80Mbps trial, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if BT somehow managed to "forget" IDNet users :mad:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6