Line damage?

Started by woppy101, Dec 28, 2011, 16:49:55

Previous topic - Next topic

pctech

Could be, what's the weather like round you now?

Steve

Somethings wrong somewhere I know you feel this maybe  a line fault however I feel it's worth going through the home wiring diagnostic routines just in case it saves you being stung with a BT 'no fault found' charge. Suggest try the test socket if you've not done so and note the snr on connection and a spare router if you've got one.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

woppy101

Quote from: pctech on Dec 29, 2011, 18:22:04
Could be, what's the weather like round you now?
Not too bad(nowhere near as bad as last night)but the speed keeps dropping!(it's a good thing I have my new projector to keep me occupied of I would be very p****d off lol)

woppy101

Quote from: Steve on Dec 29, 2011, 18:46:24
Somethings wrong somewhere I know you feel this maybe  a line fault however I feel it's worth going through the home wiring diagnostic routines just in case it saves you being stung with a BT 'no fault found' charge. Suggest try the test socket if you've not done so and note the snr on connection and a spare router if you've got one.
I have been though all of that mate while I was typing this it dropped to 1632kbps 11db snr ( i thought interleaving might of kicked in by now)

davej99

woppy101

It was the line card which failed last time,I think/ hope it's the cable that's been damaged this time.is it strange that interleaving hasn't been switched on yet

woppy101

Interleaving switched on this morning and it has dropped to 1876kbps 10db snr(previous times when interleaving has switched on it started at 4000kbps and then stabilised at 3700-3800kbps this time it started at 2300kbps)

Steve

Are support able to ask for a line test? In theory you should get a response from email or the help line.
Steve
------------

woppy101

I didn't think idnet were open until the 3rd,i will try phoning up after 9am

Steve

According to the newsletter some level of support is being offered over the Xmas shutdown

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,27988.0.html
Steve
------------

woppy101

Quote from: Steve on Dec 30, 2011, 09:28:54
According to the newsletter some level of support is being offered over the Xmas shutdown

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,27988.0.html

Just phoned up and its only for business customers so I have sent an email

Rik

BT are closed till Tuesday, IDNet can do nothing for customers without enhanced care until then.
Rik
--------------------

woppy101

How unhelpful can idnet be,I have phoned up and they see no problem what so ever because my line is performing above the 1.5mb bt says all it can take,even though for the past three months since my line was fixed last time I have been syncing @3700-3800.

Rik

BT set the rules, Woppy, ISPs can do little about it. When you run the BT speed tester, you are given an acceptable speed range. If you line is performing at or above that, BT will just shrug.
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Doesn't seem fair i.e. a car running minus a cylinder firing has acceptable speeds but needs fixing,
Steve
------------

woppy101

Quote from: Rik on Jan 03, 2012, 17:17:57
BT set the rules, Woppy, ISPs can do little about it. When you run the BT speed tester, you are given an acceptable speed range. If you line is performing at or above that, BT will just shrug.
Yes I understand that mate and could understand if my sync speed dropped over the period of a few months,but to be synced @3770 one day then have a huge storm and then sync @1800 and not hold a connection above that for more than a few hours.someone must be able to see that is not a normal line degrade problem and could possibly indicate a line fault,not just sit there and say its within bt spec so no problem.

woppy101

Quote from: Steve on Jan 03, 2012, 17:26:07
Doesn't seem fair i.e. a car running minus a cylinder firing has acceptable speeds but needs fixing,
Exactly,im not going through this again I will be off to zen or aaisp.idnets service is excellent until something goes wrong then they seem to slope their shoulders and say nothing we can do its running within spec

Rik

I gather you had the same problem with your previous ISP. BT expects your line to perform at 1500 that it has been working faster is a bonus but not guaranteed, an engineer visit isn't going to change that, as BT are highly unlikely to be willing to spend the money to provide new cabling for you. You could get lucky and they come across a faulty joint, but it isn't showing on the tests.

You will, once again, move the problem with you if you change ISP. My suggestion would be to check if AAISP are still offering "we'll fix your fault or not charge you" deal.
Rik
--------------------

woppy101

Quote from: Rik on Jan 03, 2012, 17:55:19
I gather you had the same problem with your previous ISP. BT expects your line to perform at 1500 that it has been working faster is a bonus but not guaranteed, an engineer visit isn't going to change that, as BT are highly unlikely to be willing to spend the money to provide new cabling for you. You could get lucky and they come across a faulty joint, but it isn't showing on the tests.

You will, once again, move the problem with you if you change ISP. My suggestion would be to check if AAISP are still offering "we'll fix your fault or not charge you" deal.

No same problem with idnet turned out line had degraded also line card failed

woppy101

Touch wood with any luck I will get an ok engineer and he will put it right AGAIN!!!

woppy101

I think there was some line damage(but no one will admit to it).had a restart this morning and I'm back to my original speed, snr and attinuation.i will give it to tomorrow morning before I cancel the engineer

Rik

Sounds like a classic degrading line...
Rik
--------------------

woppy101

Quote from: Rik on Jan 04, 2012, 12:55:30
Sounds like a classic degrading line...
What to not hold a sync of over 2mb for more than 2hours for over a week then shoots back up to 3.9mb the day after everyone goes back to work

Steve

I wonder who turned their Xmas lights off?
Steve
------------

woppy101

Quote from: Steve on Jan 04, 2012, 15:36:41
I wonder who turned their Xmas lights off?
House next door is empty and mine came down the day after boxing day,but if that's the case why did it not start going nuts at the start of December?