Line damage?

Started by woppy101, Dec 28, 2011, 16:49:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Any possible sources of interference on your line's route to the exchange that's possibly changed? I mentioned Xmas as we are surrounded by them from early Xmas.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

12th night of Christmas is tomorrow night.

woppy101

Quote from: Steve on Jan 04, 2012, 15:55:15
Any possible sources of interference on your line's route to the exchange that's possibly changed? I mentioned Xmas as we are surrounded by them from early Xmas.

Yes and if this had happend before Xmas that's what I would have put it down too,otherwise who puts there decs up on the 28th of December LOL

Rik

Quote from: woppy101 on Jan 04, 2012, 13:04:23
What to not hold a sync of over 2mb for more than 2hours for over a week then shoots back up to 3.9mb the day after everyone goes back to work

Yup. I had my line degrade dramatically once. It was working one evening, but not the next (cold) morning. Something had caused the line to go out of tolerance and so it simply stopped, and this was way before Max, when the d/s margin was about 22db.

A phone line is essentially the same now as it was in Victorian times. It's miles long and has dozens (or more) or joints, each of which represent a weak point. In addition, it's subject to outside interference (including crosstalk from other ADSL lines), I know of one case where a faulty Sky box took a street out, another where a neighbour's treadmill caused so much interference that the line constantly resynced. We take for granted that an antiquated system can handle high data speeds, but sometimes it can't. I get 4Mb on one line, 3.5Mb on the other. My neighbours range from 512k to 4Mb, yet all the lines are fed from the same distribution point. The average speed here is 2Mb, and we live in a city. My line will run stably for a month or two, then have a 'turn' and drop the speed by a meg or more for a few days before recovering.

There are two cures, in my experience, move house or move to fibre - the latter being preferable if available as we are then using a system designed for data transfer. There is a third option, install a new line, make it clear that it's for ADSL use, and hope that BT will act accordingly.
Rik
--------------------

woppy101

Quote from: Rik on Jan 04, 2012, 18:45:03

. There is a third option, install a new line, make it clear that it's for ADSL use, and hope that BT will act accordingly.
How much will that cost and what should they do if I make it clear it's for adsl use,will they make sure its better quality?

Lance

I think a new line with broadband activation fee is around £150. There is no certainty BT would do anything but hopefully a good engineer would try and pick out the best pairs.
Lance
_____

woppy101

Quote from: Lance on Jan 06, 2012, 12:39:42
I think a new line with broadband activation fee is around £150. There is no certainty BT would do anything but hopefully a good engineer would try and pick out the best pairs.
Sod that then I'm probably as fast as I can go 3700-3800,56db att and 6db snr

Rik

For that attenuation, you're probably not going to get more speed, I only got 2.5M on Max, 21CN gave me the extra.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

you mean ADSL 2+ surely Rik?

Lance

ADSL 2+ is a 21cn product.
Lance
_____

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

It is but ADSL can also be delivered over 21cn.

Rik

Rik
--------------------