WBC

Started by bsw, Dec 29, 2011, 14:59:39

Previous topic - Next topic

bsw

Hi,

I've just noticed that my exchange (CMBRAU) is scheduled for WBC from 31/05/12. Does that mean Idnet will be able to offer me different / better products after that ? I'm currently on ADSL Max and getting about 6.5 meg fairly consistently but more would be nice.

Thanks,

bsw

Glenn

It should allow you to move over to the ADSL2+ packages.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

The best performers on adslmax do seem to get the most advantage from adsl2+ i.e.a distinctly higher throughput plus you get much improved download allowances.
Steve
------------

bsw

Thanks chaps, excellent news, roll on June.

Cheers,

bsw

Gary

Quote from: bsw on Dec 29, 2011, 14:59:39
Hi,

I've just noticed that my exchange (CMBRAU) is scheduled for WBC from 31/05/12. Does that mean Idnet will be able to offer me different / better products after that ? I'm currently on ADSL Max and getting about 6.5 meg fairly consistently but more would be nice.

Thanks,

bsw
I moved to ADSL 2+ before xmas, getting a sync of 14215 down and 1152 up snr of 5.8 at night, pretty happy about that, but I did have a very good adsl max line.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Technical Ben

Mine is the max basically on ASDL. Not sure how my noise margins compare, but my sync is full whack. What could I hope for on ASDL2+!?  ;D
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Steve

If you know your downstream attenuation and/or your line length you'll get a rough clue here - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
Steve
------------

Technical Ben

The full 24meg then :D
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

sparky

Tagging a couple of questions on to this:

I am currently on ADSL Max but don't have a great line, I'm 3.5km from the exchange. My sync is currently 3040 on a line with Attenuation 48db and a noise margin of 15db after weather problems and Christmas, I'm hoping it might go back up to about 4600 or so sync with a noise margin of 6db when all settles down again. It has in the past.

My exchange (according to Sam Knows) is now 21CN WBC status enabled. This is a recent change. Is there anywhere else I should check first?

My questions are 1) Are IDNET currently switching people to 21CN automatically or does it have to be requested?
                        2) with those line figures, would it be any benefit to me in switching from ADSL Max ? I don't want to end up with a worse connection than I have already got.

Thanks.

Steve

You'll  end up on adsl2+ anyways as the old equipment is removed from the exchange and/or IDNet switch you, your unlikely to benefit downstream but you will benefit from the increased bandwidth allocation. Likely scenario is adsl2+ profiled as adsl1 (Max) to give you stability.I think I would opt for adsl2+ purely for the increased allowances and possible upstream benefit.
Steve
------------

sparky

I'm confused  ???  Easy done!

When I log into my account, my package details are as follows:

Package: Home Lite (WBC ADSL MAX)
Bandwidth Allowance: 80GB Total (Peak: 15GB / Off Peak: 65GB )
Package Monthly Cost: £18.37 (£15.31 ex vat)

This shows the download allowances for an ADSL2+ account?

QuoteLikely scenario is adsl2+ profiled as adsl1 (Max)

Could this have already happened? Although my upstream connection speed is still 448.

Steve

I never know what's happening these days, it looks as you say adsl2+ allowances on an adslmax profile which to me means you've switched to a 21CN network and got the extra allowances but they've profiled you as a adsl1(Max) I think you need to ask support exactly what's going on.
Steve
------------

sparky

OK Steve Thanks. I'll check with them on Monday.

Cheers.

Steve

If you enter your downstream attenuation here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php you'll see that you will get little benefit from adsl2+ downstream.
Steve
------------

Rik

You're on IPStream, Sparky, ie you have a 21CN connection, but you're still on ADSL Max. This gives you the extra bandwidth at the same speed. Support think you probably would not benefit from ADSL2+, but you may be able to help yourself by using the master socket, a new filter, a different router etc.
Rik
--------------------

sparky

OK Rik. Thanks.

My only concern now is whether this has changed recently, ie, within the last 6 to 8 weeks, as my line seems to have gone from intermittent re-synchs (which I can live with) with an SNR of 6db, to a rock steady connection but with an SNR of 15db, consequently I've lost 1M of download speed.  Given the choice I would rather have the slightly less stable connection.

If nothing has changed recently, I guess it might eventually go back to what it was.

P.S. Still using a trusty Netgear DG834G V2.

Rik

What's the wiring setup in your house, ie what's connected to the phone line, do you have hard-wired extensions etc.
Rik
--------------------

sparky

Master Socket.

Twisted pair cable (the round stuff) with ring wire disconnected runs from that for about 4 metres to an extension socket into which is plugged my router (via a filter). Then twisted pair (from the phone side of that filter) for another 2 metres to a second extension socket into which is plugged my Panny DECT phone.

Nothing has changed recently. I have tried in the past to plug the router into the master socket and I can usually get another 250k but that's all.

It's difficult to do anything else (apart from duck tape across the floor!) as the Master Socket is in the hallway on one side and my PC/Router is in a room on the other side.

Rik

That sounds OK. Any chance of borrowing a spare router to try?
Rik
--------------------

sparky

I've got a SpeedTouch 585 V6 that I could try.

Would that do?

Rik

It would. You'll have a new chipset you're connecting to at the exchange, so switching routers is always worth a try. FWIW, I'm on a 63db line, but sync steadily at around 4.4M. It's not just length but also quality and susceptibility to noise. :(
Rik
--------------------

sparky

OK Rik. Thanks.

Busy weekend coming up, so I'll try it on Monday and let you know. Cheers.

Rik

Rik
--------------------