Gigabit ethernet speeds over WiFi

Started by Steve, Jan 07, 2012, 09:24:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

It may be here sometime this year,Netgear is expected to release 802.11AC routers in 2012 no doubt hardware support will follow sometime later.

http://www.5gwifi.org/
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

That's going to be one long committee meeting, Steve. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Steve

It will be if draft N was anything to go by

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac

A laptop with 8 antenna will be different.
Steve
------------

FritzBox

Gimme homeplugs over wireless anytime

Rik

Rik
--------------------

esh

If they can make wireless give 80MB/s sometime in the next year I will eat my hat.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Rik

How would you like it served, esh? ;)
Rik
--------------------

esh

Presumably fried, using the transmitter required to get 80MB/s wirelessly. For the record I currently get 3MB/s on the wireless here.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

andrue

Been thinking about home plugs myself. My wifi is okay but sometimes struggles to get above 22Mb/s which is a shame since I have nigh-on 40Mb/s available. Only real problem is that there's precious few spare sockets in my 'server room'. I already have two nearly full extension gangs.

There's already Ethernet downstairs but unfortunately it runs along the right side of the room and I sit in the middle with the port on my laptop facing left  :eyebrow:

Hah, maybe use the HPs downstairs but it seems a silly way to get Ethernet round the side of the room  :sigh:

Glenn

You can get HomePlugs with mains pass through

Quote from: andrue on Apr 17, 2012, 08:50:31
Only real problem is that there's precious few spare sockets in my 'server room'. I already have two nearly full extension gangs.
Glenn
--------------------

andrue

Quote from: Glenn on Apr 17, 2012, 09:05:08
You can get HomePlugs with mains pass through
D'oh! I should have guessed that. Ah well, it's the first time I've considered them.  :slap:

Odos

Quote from: andrue on Apr 17, 2012, 09:15:09
D'oh! I should have guessed that. Ah well, it's the first time I've considered them.  :slap:

I use a couple of these http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-500av-piggy.htm and never have any problem. I'm on Fibre and they don't slow the connection at all BUT I do believe it also depends upon your house/office wiring. That is, how old and in what condition it's in can affect the throughput.

Tony

andrue

I realised I could run some more Cat6 down the stairs and along the opposite wall of the lounge. I've fixed a switch to the wall and now the couch has four gigabit ports within easy reach. Since we normally have laptops plugged in for power having a trailing Ethernet cable makes no difference.

:solved:

's a good job because I asked Support to regrade me:

Rik

Rik
--------------------