Router losing connection

Started by magicman, Jan 14, 2012, 14:07:26

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

Hello newbie here  :) I've been with idnet now for 4 years without any problems... until now. I think it may be due to my nearly 5 year old belkin g router as in the last 2 weeks it has been losing connection on a regular basis which resetting seems to sort out.

I'm no expert but i'm guessing the router is to blame and not the line unless anyone thinks differently

magicman

Anyway i've been looking around for a replacement for around £50, any recommendations? i've seen these netgear ones so far

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/netgear-dgn2200-wireless-modem-router-06930370-pdt.html

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/netgear-n150-dgn1000-wireless-adsl-router-03701125-pdt.html

plus these 2 Linksys WRT120N + Belkin F6D4630uk4A

Simon

:welc: :karma:

Someone will be along with advice soon.  :)
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

:welc: :karma:

At that price I'd probably go for the DGN2200 we've a few users here. It's normally the PSU that fails firsts in any router and unless you've got a spare  it's difficult sometimes to differentiate whether its the router or the line. Your other options are to find your router stats and a BT speedtest and check with support before you spend your money.
Steve
------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

Lance

I've got the dgn2200 and I'm very happy with it. Easy to configure with some advanced features.  Seems solid on my line with a target SNR of 3db.
Lance
_____

cavillas

I have a dgn2200 as well not a bad router.  Only problem is not capable of IPv8 yet but there is supposed to be an udate soemtime in the first half of this year to deal with that, I hope.
------
Alf :)

Rik

Hi and welcome to the forum. :welc: :karma:

It would be worth doing some basic wiring checks, eg make sure you only have two wires connected at each socket (if more than one) on terminals 2 & 5. Try a different filter, or filters if you are using more than one. Have you started using any new electrical devices lately. If you can, borrow another router before buying - IDNet will lend you one if they have a loaner available.
Rik
--------------------

magicman

Many thanks for the welcomes and replies. I checked my line stats which i think are nothing special unless i'm mistaken:

Data Rate Up Stream 448 (Kbps.)
Down Stream 6528 (Kbps.)

Noise Margin
Upstream 26 dB
Downstream 15 dB

Attenuation
Upstream 25 dB
Downstream 22 dB

Steve

I assume your on adslmax and at that attenuation of 22dB downstream you should have a full sync(8128) and you've not , you could well have noise/interference affecting your line. I suggest look at Rik's suggestion of checking wiring and filters.
Steve
------------

magicman

Yes i'm on adsl home max. i tried ringing 17070 to check for noise on the line and that was fine.
I will check the filters and also have a go at checking wires, problem is i'm not sure where my master socket is, they all look the same. i live in a flat built in 2002. the router is located in a bedroom which i would doubt is the master socket

magicman

bt speedtester results were:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 5270 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2000-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6528 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5759 Kbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 351 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 448 Kbps

Rik

The speedtester suggests that your problem is purely one of the high noise margin enforced by DLM. It's costing you around 2M in sync speed, so if you can eliminate any possibility of your own wiring or equipment being at fault, then it might be worth getting BT involved. Take each socket off the wall (carefully!). The one with the extra circuitry inside is the master.
Rik
--------------------

magicman

Ok i located the master socket, it was hiding in the airing cupboard. After plugging the router in test socket and unplugging all other phone lines my router stats were

Up Stream
448 (Kbps.)
Down Stream
7360 (Kbps.)

Noise Margin
26 dB up
15 dB down
Attenuation
25 dB up
21 dB down

Due to a high pitch hum i tend to switch off the router at the mains before bed each night, would that have an effect?

Rik

That looks like your internal wiring may be an issue, gaining 800k by moving to the test socket is a sign of noise pickup somewhere in the internal wiring. How feasible would it be to use the router in there, or to use a filtered faceplate and run some Cat5 cable to the router?
Rik
--------------------

Lance

And turning the router off each night is not recommended. Your speed is being pegged back due to your 15db noise margin. This has probably increased from the default 6db because of the nightly switch off or some other instability. Of the connection remains solidly connected for 14 days or so it should automatically reduced by 3db to 12db (upon a resync) and drop a further 3db 14 days later and so on.
Lance
_____

magicman

I will leave the router on constantly and see what happens and maybe see about moving it. In my router setting i seem to be on PPPoE and not PPPoA it seems to have changed the settings somehow. Shouldn't i be on PPPoA?

Rik

You should, but I've seen routers do that before yet still work.
Rik
--------------------