Mail Server Issues

Started by MarlyM, Jan 20, 2012, 06:33:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

It's usually just a tick box in the server settings. 
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

We have been advised that data recovery is now complete, and all mail should have been restored following last Friday's server crash.
Simon.
--

ElectricTrev

I am still having problems with getting mail with a POP3 client. emails above 20K it slows down until at ~50k it seizes up. Spoke to support earlier (about 15:30) they confirmed all the restores had taken place and everything should now be working.

The only solution they could offer was to delete and reinstall my email account. As I have a second email address suffering with the same problem this does not sound convincing. However, I agreed to go ahead. Apparently this requires a system administrator and there will not be one available until Monday morning  :-X. Not sure where this leaves me other than in a bad place!

Glenn

Rather than deleting the accounts, what happens if you create a new account from within your account control panel and send large test mails to that?
Glenn
--------------------

ElectricTrev

The second email address I refered to was created last weekend and still suffers from the problem. However, I will try a third but I think it is clutching a straws.

Trevor

Simon

Have you tried a different smtp server, Trev?  I think you can use .com or .net. 
Simon.
--

Simon

I've just spoken to Brian, and he's again confirmed that everything should be working as normal.  As an elimination test, he has suggested disabling any anti virus / anti spam software you may have on your computer, then try sending the mail, as apparently, sometimes these can interact with large capacity messages. 
Simon.
--

ElectricTrev

Created anothe new account without any luck.

I do not appear to be able to set up an account on .net only .com

I had tried disabling antivirus on my email earlier without any luck and i have just tried it again. Not my favourite test! Still no improvement.

Simon

Can you post a screenshot of the error message, masking any personal data?
Simon.
--

Simon

Also, just checking, are you using an IDNet connection to send mail?
Simon.
--

ElectricTrev

I am using Idnet to send, while I use this for my tests I have also received emails from outside that trigger the problem. The only common denomiator is size.

The error messages I get on the Thunderbird error console (there are no others):

Error: [Exception... "'Component is not available' when calling method: [nsIActivityManager::removeActivity]"  nsresult: "0x80040111 (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE)"  location: "JS frame :: resource:///modules/activity/pop3Download.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 158"  data: no]
Source File: resource:///modules/activity/pop3Download.js
Line: 158

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8055000a [nsIMsgIncomingServer.getNewMessages]"  nsresult: "0x8055000a (<unknown>)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://messenger/content/mailWindowOverlay.js :: GetNewMsgs :: line 2407"  data: no]

The mail agent runs for a few minutes (rotating disc on top rt hand corner of window) and then times out. Note the error messages do not always occur and sometimes appear when receiving small emails normally.

Simon

The error message doesn't give much away to me, but it may do to a more technical eye.  Have you forwarded it to IDNet?  If you address it to brian[at]idnet.net he should know what it's about, as I spoke to him earlier about it, which you can mention if you like. 

Other possibility - Thunderbird issue?  Reinstall?  :dunno:
Simon.
--

Steve

A bit historical and may not be relevant with the later versions of Thunderbird but you could change the way it handled larger emails by turning off 'fetch by chunks' i.e. stop it fragmenting larger emails

Edit: Not sure whether this relates to POP3 emails as well as IMAP though.
Steve
------------

duggy

My first post here so hi to everyone.
I am in exactly the same position as ElectricTrev in not been able to download emails larger than a few kB and have tried disabling antivirus, disabling firewall, different email client, new email address; however nothing I try seems to make any difference.
The problem started on Saturday which I think was when the email server issue started.

Steve

:welc: :karma: Duggy

At least Trevor's not on his own, I think you need to contact support, hopefully with more than one suffering similarly a solution can be found.
Steve
------------

Simon

Simon.
--

duggy

I have contacted support once by phone and three times by email, and the reply I get is that the mail server is fully functional and the problem must be with my pc.
Regarding Thunderbird, that is what I normally use, but have tried Windows Live Mail and I just get the same problem in that it cannot download emails greater than a few kB.

ElectricTrev

Quote from: Simon on Jan 27, 2012, 17:50:39
The error message doesn't give much away to me, but it may do to a more technical eye.  Have you forwarded it to IDNet?  If you address it to brian[at]idnet.net he should know what it's about, as I spoke to him earlier about it, which you can mention if you like. 

Other possibility - Thunderbird issue?  Reinstall?  :dunno:

I will forward to brian as you suggest.

So far I have:

Re-installed Thunderbird twice on my main machine.
Installed Live Mail and this has the same problem.
Installed Thunderbird on a second machine which also shows the problem.

Thanks for your efforts

Trevor

Simon

I don't think there's anything else we can do here. Do keep us posted, and if anyone else has the issue, please post here, but also contact support as if there's a common factor, it may give them a clue as to the problem / solution. 
Simon.
--

psp83

Just a shot in the dark..

Have you tried running Thunderbird in safe mode & seeing what happens?

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode

psp83

Also, what does it say when you log into your account?

Exisiting Addresses > Message Filters > Set Max Message Size

Steve

Does that not imply there's no max size set there as that equates to 100 Mb which is huge.
Steve
------------

ElectricTrev

Paul,
I spotted the message size limit at the start of all this so that has not been a problem.

Just tried safe mode but it does not seem to change anything.

I think Simon is right with duggy  (and I am sure there are others) suffering the same problem it is really down to support now.

Trevor

psp83

Quote from: Steve on Jan 27, 2012, 18:36:10
Does that not imply there's no max size set there as that equates to 100 Mb which is huge.

That was the default set on my emails.

Simon

And, it's not just Thunderbird, is it? 
Simon.
--