Mail Server Issues

Started by MarlyM, Jan 20, 2012, 06:33:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

But having just tried a 2Mb attachment via IMAP test, I can see it but I can't download it.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

duggy

I have just tried both Thunderbird in safemode and in Windows safemode, both made no difference, thanks anyway.

Sorry  psp83 do not quite follow where the Max Message setting is. Is it Tools>Message Filters, as I cannot find Existing Addresses?

Simon

Simon.
--

Simon

If it was a mail client size issue, would the error message not say so?  :dunno:
Simon.
--

Steve

Quote from: duggy on Jan 27, 2012, 18:41:01
I have just tried both Thunderbird in safemode and in Windows safemode, both made no difference, thanks anyway.

Sorry  psp83 do not quite follow where the Max Message setting is. Is it Tools>Message Filters, as I cannot find Existing Addresses?

That's on the IDNet customer portal.
Steve
------------

Steve

Quote from: Simon on Jan 27, 2012, 18:44:30
Same error, Steve?

Apologies it has now arrived it's must have taken around 20mins to get that 2Mb file.
Steve
------------

ElectricTrev

Quote from: Steve on Jan 27, 2012, 18:52:40
Apologies it has now arrived it's must have taken around 20mins to get that 2Mb file.

"Luxury! I can only dream of 2MB in 20 mins" (with apologies to Monty Python)

In this thread meva, duggy and I are all reporting the fully blown problem but it looks as though poor download speed is more widespread.

Just used Download(eml) in Webmail 2 secs for 3.2MB. Puts things in perspective.

Simon

These emails that are slow to send / download, presumably they all contain attachments, yes?
Simon.
--

Steve

Perhaps I could be courageous and state that we are all suffering from poor performance on IDNet email addresses. I've tried a couple of tests this evening with a 650K file attachment and it takes on average 4-5 minutes to download that attachment.ie 2Kb/s.

If  I send that same attachment to another domain outside IDNet it takes a couple of seconds to download at the most.
Steve
------------

Technical Ben

Great to hear the files/emails were recovered!  :thumb:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Simon

I've emailed IDNet and pointed them at this thread, but I don't know if they will respond over the weekend.
Simon.
--

Steve

Steve
------------

duggy

Just to clarify Simon, I do not have any problem sending emails, it is just downloading.
Any emails that successfully download are very slow to do so, and I just tried without attachments and managed to download a 40KB email but could not download a 100KB one.  Previously I had been struggling to download a 30KB email containing an attachment.

Simon

OK, well there's obviously a problem, albeit slightly different between users, and it seems to be size related.  Hopefully IDNet will be able to work out what's going on when they read the thread.
Simon.
--

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Steve

Steve
------------

Ray

I've just sent an email with a 4Mb attachment to one of my Idnet email addys with no problem and received it back within a couple of minutes and it downloaded in a few seconds.
Ray
--------------------

Simon

Thanks Ray.  Maybe they've kicked something?
Simon.
--

ElectricTrev

Unfortunately not I am still seeing the same problem. Just had a 136k message (no attachment) timeout. The puzzle is why different people see the problem at different severities.

Incidentally the attachment thing is just a red herring. Simply that large emails usually contain an attachment. Which is why they are so large. Caught me out at the start.

Steve

Thanks Ray. However I just tried a 2Mb attachment again myself and it took 11mins to download from mail.idnet.com via POP3, so it's not universal I guess.
Steve
------------

Ray

I've just sent a 706k text email message to both my Idnet email accounts and received them both back within a couple of minutes almost instant download. Is the problem with certain mail clients only? I'm using Outlook 2010.  :-\
Ray
--------------------

Steve

Not sure Ray I'm using Mail on the Mac .Normal mail download rate  from other domains i.e. me.com and my own domain is in the order of 600-700Kb/s as opposed to the 2-5Kb/s from Idnet mail servers
Steve
------------

Simon

As the issues seem to be inconsistent, perhaps it would help if each person with a problem posted whether their issue is with sending, receiving, or both, which mail servers they are using, which mail client(s) they are using, message size, and whether an attachment or not.  That concise information may help IDNet when they read the thread. 
Simon.
--

esh

I can confirm the missing week of emails have all come back.

Top stuff, everyone. Thanks for your efforts on this.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Bill

Just a thought... I'm not having any problems with downloading large emails, but I  have recently noticed a lot more spam than usual (my filters are turned off, so I notice it). Could the slowdowns for some users  be due to spam attacks causing their accounts to be excessively busy?

(The spam mails tell me how much the sender loves me, and gives a link to an e-card for me to open... yeah, right ;D )
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6