Huawei HG612 Modem - Stats & Graphs for Windows Users

Started by Bald_Eagle1, Jan 20, 2012, 06:45:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Bald_Eagle1

Quote from: .Griff. on Feb 20, 2012, 19:38:28
To be honest Paul setup is that easy now I didn't even look at the instructions pdf before you just mentioned it. I'm famous!  :blush:

I'm glad you mentioned that you didn't actually need the instructions. That was my intention really.

As for the task scheduler setup it was very self explanatory so no issues there at all and as my PC is on a network I do use a login name and password yes.

Prevously it took someone 18 hours & loads of emails to & fro to get it all set up.

Almost forget yep modem_stats is updating every minute and if you time it right you can see two temp files for a split second as presumably they're used to update the log each minute.

It does seem to take a bit longer as the log file grows in size.
I have been logging my ongoing stats since November & the log file is now almost 24MB in size & takes around 10 seconds to update.

Edit - 45 minutes have elapsed so I thought I'd give the ongoing script a try. See attached.

Bald_Eagle1

Quote from: .Griff. on Feb 20, 2012, 19:38:28
Edit 2 - Just noticed the attainable DS figure isn't plotted on the graph due the scaling used.

Oops!

I forgot that some users have better connections than mine (see attached)

EDIT:
If you fancied emailing your modem_stats.log to me I could alter the batch file & test it out properly.

.Griff.

72 days of sampling certainly makes the graphs spring to life more than my 45 minutes did!

As I knew from previous conersations you were having "issues" with your connection but the sync rate graph makes it pretty apparent.  :(

Bald_Eagle1

Hi Griff,

I have emailed a revised GRAPHPD.BAT to you.

The Attainable Rate & Sync Speed graphs have had the y axis updated to 100Mb & that's all you are having or else I won't be able to see my paltry 29.7Mb Sync speed & 32.5Mb attainable rates any longer (unless you edit the batch file yourself)  :laugh:

Paul.

.Griff.

Cheers Paul.

I've stopped the script on this PC and I'll set it up again on my laptop tomorrow. Although it's a laptop it never leaves my desk and consumes a lot less power than this PC so I don't mind leaving it on 24/7.

Bald_Eagle1

Quote from: .Griff. on Feb 20, 2012, 20:27:33

I've stopped the script on this PC and I'll set it up again on my laptop tomorrow. Although it's a laptop it never leaves my desk and consumes a lot less power than this PC so I don't mind leaving it on 24/7.

If that's also a W 7 machine, no other changes should be required.

If it's a Vista machine, the font size might need changing to ensure that all the pbParams data fits properly.
I had to change it for Mrs. Eagle's Vista laptop.

It's only a very quick edit of GRAPH6.BAT though:-

rem ***** Set the font & size for different Windows versions *****

rem ***** Windows 7 *****
set FONT_USED=courier-new -pointsize 14

rem ***** Vista *****
rem set FONT_USED=courier-new -pointsize 12

rem ***** XP *****
rem set FONT_USED=courier-new -pointsize 14

.Griff.

Bald_Eagle1

Quote from: .Griff. on Feb 20, 2012, 20:52:54
It's also Windows 7 Paul.

Sorry to keep mithering, Griff, but there is no such thing as a free mention in my setting up instructions........... :laugh:

That'll do for now though.

.Griff.

Steve

OK pulled my finger out , now logging stats and producing graphs on VM install of XP (Mac OS X Lion and Virtualbox). Set up went flawlessly,no issues what so ever (although I did tick the box in the scheduler was unsure about that and changed a font in Graph6.bat), I did read the instructions once I'd run the install.  ;D

I've managed to produce a snapshot of graphs and will leave things running for a while.

Seems you've put a lot of effort in and produced something very simple to install and use.  Well done. :karma:

BTW ethernet connection in VM set to bridged mode.

Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

Perhaps you can tell me what the heck it all means :evil:
Steve
------------

Bald_Eagle1

Hi Steve,

Quote from: Steve on Feb 20, 2012, 22:18:29
OK pulled my finger out , now logging stats and producing graphs on VM install of XP (Mac OS X Lion and Virtualbox). Set up went flawlessly,no issues what so ever (although I did tick the box in the scheduler was unsure about that and changed a font in Graph6.bat), I did read the instructions once I'd run the install.  ;D

I'm glad it works for you, especially as it's not on a native Windows PC.

The font you changed - was it a change from courier-new to courier by any chance, or just the font size?

I've managed to produce a snapshot of graphs and will leave things running for a while.

It would be nice to see some graphs at some stage, or by all means email a log file or two to me.

Seems you've put a lot of effort in and produced something very simple to install and use.  Well done. :karma:

Thanks Steve.  :blush:

They say that necessity is the mother of invention.
I had to create this lot just to prove that my connection was indeed a pile of XXXX, despite all the "Line tests O.K" comments from my ISP & BT.

BTW ethernet connection in VM set to bridged mode.

I'm not quite sure what that means. Is it something you had to change to get the scripts working?

Paul.

Steve

I changed Graph6.bat to

rem ***** XP *****
set FONT_USED=courier-new -pointsize 14

But if I'd been awake I needn't have done :evil:

The VM network setting is irrelevant to get the scripts working I use bridge mode and it worked seamlessly without changing any network settings in XP . I plugged Lan 2 into the router as well btw.
Steve
------------

Bald_Eagle1

Quote from: Steve on Feb 20, 2012, 22:39:09
Perhaps you can tell me what the heck it all means :evil:

Well, your connection hasn't been up for long, so it's a bit early to say, but the lack of errors is good.

You have a bit of spare SNRM which is good.

Your attainable rate isn't fantastic, so I'm not sure you would gain that much from the 80/20 service when it becomes available for all.

Downstream Interleaving at a level of 1 means OFF, so I imagine you get reasonable ping values.

You may have noticed that the emphasis in most of the graphs is on downstream rather than upstream.

My own poor(ish) connection does not really have any issues with upstream, so I didn't bother graphing the stats.
You will be able to see all your relevant stats in the Plink log (easy to read) & quite a few in the modem_stats.log (not so easy to read/understand).

I might add error seconds, serious error seconds & "other" stuff to the graphs at some stage.

It might be useful to leave it logging for a while to see if any patterns of interference noise etc. start to develop, but your connection looks pretty stable at first glance.

It's good to compare your own stats now & then, but all the graphs are probably more useful as a trouble-shooting aid (when/if necessary).

Paul.

Steve

Thanks Paul I know I'm a little way from the cabinet (at least 500m) Ping rates have just come down nicely about 5 days ago
Steve
------------

.Griff.

I set it back up on my laptop this morning and the setup went fine once again.

Here's todays graph. Attainable now shows fine.

Bald_Eagle1

Hi Griff,

I have been tweaking the scripts & amongst other things, I have reorganised the landscape display to put "relevant" greaphs underneath each other, such as SNRM, Sync Speed, Attainable rates etc.

I have also added error seconds (used by ISPs/BT to determine the level of a fault before they will investigate) & a couple of other minor adjustments.
(See attached - the one hit of 44 US error seconds within a 1 minute sample period has dwarfed the other error seconds plots)

I'm still playing about with other data to plot, so I won't distribute any updates just yet.

If you wanted to reorganise the layout, this is the order of the graphs for the landscape format that I have used (in GRAPHPD.BAT):-

montage snrm.png CRC_errors.png FEC_errors.png INTERLEAVING.png sync.png RSUnCorr.png^
OHFErr.png DSL_UP_TIME.png attainable_rate.png HEC_errors.png RSCorr.png OHF.png RS.png^
DS_ES.png US_ES.png -quality 100 -geometry 640x -border 5 -tile 4x4 line_stats_L-%FILEDATE%.png

Paul.

EDIT:
You seem to have more errors than I expected for your connection.
Have they only become apparent since the 80/20 Attainable Rates have started being shown?

.Griff.

I did discuss this very briefly with you a while ago but my errors have dropped SIGNIFICANTLY since the 17a profile change. IIRC yours are the other way round, i.e they got worse for you after the 17a profile change.

Before I was seeing 12 CRC and 4 HEC errors every second. Now it's "only" 0.04 CRC and 0.02 HEC errors every second. More than most people but, touch wood, they don't affect my line in any way.

Bald_Eagle1

Quote from: .Griff. on Feb 22, 2012, 19:03:25
I did discuss this very briefly with you a while ago but my errors have dropped SIGNIFICANTLY since the 17a profile change. IIRC yours are the other way round, i.e they got worse for you after the 17a profile change.

Before I was seeing 12 CRC and 4 HEC errors every second. Now it's "only" 0.04 CRC and 0.02 HEC errors every second. More than most people but, touch wood, they don't affect my line in any way.

Ah. Now you mention it, I do recall that discussion.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't really recall seeing too many errors in the modem's GUI when I was still on the 8c profile, but I wasn't actually graphing the stats in such detail back then.