Whats my problem?

Started by B52, Jun 10, 2007, 21:09:11

Previous topic - Next topic

B52

Just recently (last 2 weeks) on every speed test site bar one that I try to use, I just get taken out of the browser, IE and FF, straight back to the desktop.  The only one which doesnt do this is DSLzone.
Has anyone any ideas as to what Ive done to cause this.  Even the BT speedtester does it. 
Thanks for any help.

DorsetBoy

Well,it could be a cookie/cache problem.
Open Firefox,press Ctrl and F5 together to clear cookies and cache,do same for IE,see if that works.

The other thing that comes to mind is a possible tojan/virus issue,some are designed to shut your browser if they detect an online test and it could be mistaking the speedtesters for an online virus scan.

Can't see that you could do anything that would create this behaviour in 2 browsers yourself.

What AV and antispyware are you using?

Rik

It would also be worth checking your versions of Java and Flash, B52.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

B52

CA Antivirus and Spyware terminator are my main malware/antivirus progs.
A2squared also runs occasionally.
Ran the CA antivirus this morning. Infected with Java exploit X2. Infection removed.
Running online Ewido scan atm.

I must schedule the scan at some other time than when Im using the PC  :-[

Rik

Quote from: B52 on Jun 11, 2007, 09:09:22
I must schedule the scan at some other time than when Im using the PC  :-[

Always the problem with scans. :(  Let's hope that's done it.
Rik
--------------------

B52

Just another point. I notice in Add/Remove programs that I have all the updates for Java runtime 5.0 listed upto No.11 and now Version 6.0 is installed. Each taking over 100Mb space. Is it ok to remove all the earlier versions.

Second question. Why does Adobe Flash Player need installing every time I need to use it. I suspect its a setting in IE but which one?  Thanks

Rik

Quote from: B52 on Jun 11, 2007, 09:16:51
Just another point. I notice in Add/Remove programs that I have all the updates for Java runtime 5.0 listed upto No.11 and now Version 6.0 is installed. Each taking over 100Mb space. Is it ok to remove all the earlier versions.

It should be possible to remove earlier versions. Set a restore point before you do, though, just in case.

QuoteSecond question. Why does Adobe Flash Player need installing every time I need to use it. I suspect its a setting in IE but which one?  Thanks

It shouldn't, but take a look at this Adobe knowledgebase article.
Rik
--------------------

Lance

The versions/updates of Java do not take up 100mb each, it's just Windows misreporting it. Although as Rik say, you should be fine to remove version 5 altogether.
Lance
_____

B52

Well Ive run several online scans today, both antivirus and spyware/malware etc. Each one of them found something different, but alas, its to no avail.
Ive done a System Restore to 2 weeks ago, removed all the old Java Runtime updates and I still have the same problem. That is, IE and Firefox close completely when a link to a speedtester is clicked, except DSLZone. Even links provided on posts here at IDNetters cause this..  No other website links are affected. Im lost.  I feel a reinstall coming on.  Can access all my files and pics ok so I'll burn them to DVD, I just know from how the PC is behaving that its ill.  Just like a sick animal.
Off to the vets with it. Now where do you put the Ketamine? ;D

So I got out the Ubuntu disk (Feisty Fawn) threw together a few bits and pieces I had lying around
Athlon 1000 (266)
Abit KT7A
384Mb PC133 ram
8GB HD
20XCD
Lan card

30 minutes later I was online and happy. Could not have been easier. When I think of all the hoop jumping Ive done over the years due to Mr Gates.
Printer works, music plays, emails and the web, Office Suite.  What more do I need.
All thanks to Mr Shuttleworth.  Thanks pal!

DorsetBoy

Quote from: B52 on Jun 11, 2007, 19:13:25
Well Ive run several online scans today, both antivirus and spyware/malware etc. Each one of them found something different, but alas, its to no avail.
Ive done a System Restore to 2 weeks ago, removed all the old Java Runtime updates and I still have the same problem. That is, IE and Firefox close completely when a link to a speedtester is clicked, except DSLZone. Even links provided on posts here at IDNetters cause this..  No other website links are affected. Im lost.  I feel a reinstall coming on.  Can access all my files and pics ok so I'll burn them to DVD, I just know from how the PC is behaving that its ill.  Just like a sick animal.
Off to the vets with it. Now where do you put the Ketamine? ;D

So I got out the Ubuntu disk (Feisty Fawn) threw together a few bits and pieces I had lying around
Athlon 1000 (266)
Abit KT7A
384Mb PC133 ram
8GB HD
20XCD
Lan card

30 minutes later I was online and happy. Could not have been easier. When I think of all the hoop jumping Ive done over the years due to Mr Gates.
Printer works, music plays, emails and the web, Office Suite.  What more do I need.
All thanks to Mr Shuttleworth.  Thanks pal!

That is why I use PCLinuxOS.........don't get the rubbish on your system.

You said that you have had the problem on your system for @ 2 weeks,a system restore back 2 weeks will still contain the Java exploit and all the other stuff that has got in.Your AV should prevent that ever getting on the disc.
What you need if you run windows again is turn off restore and reboot twice then put on NOD32 as an AV,set properly you would not have those things to worry about.

Happy Tuxing ;D

B52

Sorry, I was a little mixed up, (you can say that again). The AV did pick up the exploits before the scan. It came up as an alert. I dont think they ever got to the disc because they have not been picked up since using AVG, Avira and CA today either before or after the restore. Dont those scans take some time?  I think that perhaps they are are red herring and are not the culprits.  I suspect its a clash with something on my system.  I said the last 2 weeks, because thats when we came back from holiday and I didnt have the problem before we went away.  In these 2 weeks I cant remember exactly how many times or when Ive tried the speedtesters. Certainly when it first started I put it down to the sites and not my PC.  I think otherwise now.

Im not about to start up a discussion about who's AV is the best.  Ive used CA for three years and am happy with it. :)

Thanks for you help and interest.

I'll persevere with Ubuntu, it will keep the interest up and the old brain cells busy before they ossify.
It amazes me that I was able to get away with not installing any m/b, graphics, soundcard,  printer and landrivers.  Everything just works 'out of the box' just as they said it would.