IPv6 / FTTC

Started by alexmonaghan, Jan 29, 2012, 10:14:12

Previous topic - Next topic

alexmonaghan

I have a netgear WNR2200. I've just upgraded this to the latest firmware in order to get IPv6, does you have experience of this router or similar firmware? I selected PPPoE in the IPv6 settings but it doesn't appear to pull an IPv6 address.

Any suggestions?

Ardua

Check with Support that an IPv6 address has been enabled/allocated. I had this problem with my Fritz!Box.

Steve

In addition the router must support dual stack IPv4/IPv6, the IPV4 address must be picked up first and then the IPv6 address is then supposed to be allocated automatically if requested. So each device and router will have an IPv4 and IPv6 address. I've no experience of this router but if you can find any IPv6 setup details I'll have a look.

I did wonder that since the IPv4 connection is established first that the PPPOE setting for IPv6 may not be correct i.e. try DHCP  :dunno:
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

alexmonaghan

I've tried PPPoE and DHCP, neither work, hence calling for help. The reseller portal is showing an IPv6 address allocation, so I'm guessing it is enabled.

I've popped in a request to support, but as I'm getting an IPv4 connection it's not urgent, just something to play with. I've tried tunnels but want to try the real thing now :)

Steve

Sadly my only experience is with the Billion 7800N and all you do is tick a box to enable IPv6
Steve
------------

Ardua

Quote from: Steve on Jan 29, 2012, 11:42:49
Sadly my only experience is with the Billion 7800N and all you do is tick a box to enable IPv6

Likewise with the FB7390. However, for what it is worth and I apologise if I am teaching you to suck eggs, my router log shows an IPv6 address ending in /ef and an IPv6 connection ending in /48. When I first enabled IPv6, my router picked up the /ef address but not the /48. I had to ask Support to check what was going on and they did something at their end and all is now well. Having said that, if you are using any hardware with 'Apple' in its name, the OS will choose the fastest webpage connection; i.e., it doesn't default to IPv6 even though it is enabled.

alexmonaghan

I'll see what support come back with, see if it is a config issue.

If I select the auto config then Netgear seem to default to a 6to4 tunnel :(

Steve

I think but could be wrong that you'll only get limited help from support with IPv6 at present.
Steve
------------

alexmonaghan

Support confirm IPv6 is enabled but haven't use the WNR2200 so I guess it's down to Netgear :(

alexmonaghan

Oh dear, given Netgear's inability to read the support question, it may be a while before I'm able to post a solution to this :(

Bill

Quote from: alexmonaghan on Jan 30, 2012, 23:02:34
Oh dear, given Netgear's inability to read the support question, it may be a while before I'm able to post a solution to this :(

Corrected that for you :evil:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

psp83

Quote from: Bill on Jan 31, 2012, 10:09:11
Corrected that for you :evil:

:evil:  :laugh:

That's why I've dropped Netgear now. I've used Netgear since getting the internet but they've just got worse over time.

alexmonaghan

I've given up and used a Mikrotik RB750, this is getting IPv4 and IPv6 addresses OK so something odd about the Netgear.

Just need to find the time to get my head round IPv6 now, it was still known as IPng last time I looked properly at it :)

alexmonaghan

This is a quote from the most recent response :(

QuoteRegarding your concern we are sorry to inform you that the IPV6 is not yet officially released. And we would request you to contact your internet service provider to check if the ISP is providing an IPV6 internet connection then get back to us.

The Mikrotik gets the IPv6 config fine, so despite the release notes for the Netgear firmware update saying about IPv6, I guess they still have more work to do. Back in it's box and back to the shop for a refund I think.

Hopefully others will be able to read this before purchasing and can then save a little time.

If you don't want IPv6, then it is a good little box, easy to setup, fairly reasonable defaults with 1 exception - guest wifi is on and insecure by default - why!

pukkahq

hi alex,

what settings do you have on your RG750 to get ipv6 working?

do you have any screen shots?